The Student Room Group

2.2 DEGREE graduate schemes

Do you know of any good grad schemes out there???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
civil service fast stream
Try the supermarkets- at the moment they are your best bet.
you can also go in to teaching i think.
Reply 3
McDonalds? :tongue:
rbs - in their 'manufacturing' division, which is basically their back office operations
Get some internships in, and then you may be offered better grad jobs once you've gained some better experience.
Reply 6
nhs,
Reply 7
there are actually quite a few, worst thing you could do is think there aren't any. NHS, Civil Service, London Treasurers, Centrica, JLR, Audit Commission, plus I'm sure there are plenty more. A 2:2 doesn't put an end to everything as some people on here would have you believe!
Reply 8
nojoegohome
With a 2.2 your best bet is signing on at the job centre because even a retail job is probably out of your league.

A 2:2 degree is probably more worthwhile then your logic, despite whatever degree classification you have. If you can't say anything nice then don't bother posting at all :mad: .

jackanswers
Do you know of any good grad schemes out there???

I'm in the same situation as you. I've Graduated from Uni with a 2:2 in Business with Psychology BA and currently looking for work. There are plenty of good jobs out there, you don't HAVE to apply for a Graduate Scheme but I spent 2 solid days looking at big well known companies that will take Graduates with a 2:2 degree - although mine are Business-based (Business Management/Human Resource/Marketing etc) so I don't know about an Art Degree, you'll have to spend some time searching but here's what I've got:

> John Lewis.
> Waitrose.
> Shell.
> The Army.
> The Navy.
> Asda - but you have to have worked with them for a year before being considered for the scheme.

and possibly

> Vodafone
> L'Oreal
> Proctor & Gamble

I'm not 100% sure because I couldn't seem to find what they take as a minimum, it may be a 2:1 it may not be. If you find out let me know :smile:
A lot of these Schemes don't open till September.

JonnyM1988
there are actually quite a few, worst thing you could do is think there aren't any. NHS, Civil Service, London Treasurers, Centrica, JLR, Audit Commission, plus I'm sure there are plenty more. A 2:2 doesn't put an end to everything as some people on here would have you believe!

Too right and thanks, there are some there that I didn't even know about!!

nase14_aldayz
Get some internships in, and then you may be offered better grad jobs once you've gained some better experience.

That's another good idea, you don't have to be a recent graduate, typically people go and do Internships or Apprenticeships to gain some experience then apply a year or two later for the Graduate Schemes. That's what I'm looking to do if I have no luck this September.
Reply 9
cruciform
It is very hard to get on a grad scheme with a 2:2 in this climate.

I seriously recommend you to take an entry level job in a large/multi-national company where there normally is a supply of opportunities to move up the career ladder on merit.

This.

As fair or unfair as it may be, 75% of graduate schemes do demand a 2.1 minimum. For those 75%, if you don't have a 2.1 you'll get kicked back by the autofilter, so even if you're otherwise an exemplary candidate, they'll never get to read about it.
Reply 10
the l'oreal website asks for a minimum of 2:1
Reply 11
I would ignore some of the advice on this website. There are several schemes that require a 2:2 minimum grade criteria. I have been offered 3 grad schemes with a 2:2 classification.

Whilst I understand that it is important to meet the minimum criteria, it is more important that you possess the required skill sets to be successful on your chosen scheme.

My advice is to look at the skills you have to offer and develop any weaknesses. Are they a good match to the employer? If so you must be able to demonstrate these confidently through every stage of the application process.

Finally, if you are invited to an assessment centre, you must prepare thoroughly. I cannot stress the importance of this.
Reply 12
PJDGRAD
I would ignore some of the advice on this website. There are several schemes that require a 2:2 minimum grade criteria. I have been offered 3 grad schemes with a 2:2 classification.

Whilst I understand that it is important to meet the minimum criteria,

Those paragraphs are a bit contradictary.

Ignore people saying a 2.2 means you don't qualify for many grad schemes yet you say its important to meet the minimum criteria.

...?
Unilever
Believe in yourself. You can do it..........
Reply 15
m.o.d?
Im pretty much in that same boat. I graduated with a 2.2 Business management degree. I know there aren't very many graduate schemes out there that accept this but dont let this get you down, just keep trying and hopefully you will get somewhere ... for some reason my main problem has been in getting just an average part time or even full time work. When applying for regular jobs most high street companies dont even bother replying. So on the bright side at least the graduate scheme companies give you feedback if you are unsuccessful!
Reply 17
Bump!!!!!

Can people please add and update this thread with any known schemes for 2.2 degrees. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Vodafone and L'oreal need a 2.1 methinks, Another good opportunity is Babcock International another scheme is Motability group (yes, the people that do the motability stuff)
Reply 19
Not sure about L'oreal. But the Vodafone one does require 2.1 yes.

Toys R' Us management one accepts 2.2 however. As does Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Quick Reply