The Student Room Group

When should you start revising for GCSEs.

As in the title :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I guess it depends on how you revise. Like mentioned, the best revision is learning/teaching it to yourself during school time so you know the logic and facts and come exam time the revision will be going over it. However, some people (like myself) study nearer exam time, much nearer, so that information is fresh in my mind - it's not the best, but if you are poorly organised and easily distracted, it's pretty much your last resort. Ultimately, start revising about three-four weeks before - that's what i hope to do! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by manutd27
As in the title :smile:

I revised all through the Easter holidays for my summer exams and then continued through study leave. Although this meant during my study leave I didn't have to do so much revision, as I'd done most of it over Easter, so it took the pressure off a little! (I also revised quite a lot through Christmas for the mocks and could still remember some of it at Easter so it was worthwhile starting early.)

It depends on the person though. Some people can manage with night before revision but I found I had to re-learn pretty much everything I'd learnt in class for most subjects, apart from French where I did almost no revision because I found it much easier than the others!

Good Luck :smile:
I guess it depends on the person. I always knew I'd have to teach myself science 4 modual because my teacher's totally incompetent :tongue: ; I'm starting now for an exam on the 19th.
It's better to continually go through what you learn in class though instead of cramming a couple of weeks before an exam.
Reply 4
2 weeks before the exam.
A*A*A*A*AAAB
Reply 5
So long as its constructive revision, leaving it pretty late can be fine! :smile: also if you pay attention in class generally it should all be in your head somewhere! :smile:

I started when we got off for study leave, and did intensive sessions the night before my exams and i got 10A*'s :smile:
Reply 6
I have think you start revising now for all yor subjects but not full on revision but maybe 30 minutes a day so that you won't be stressed in the exam period. Five months can make a big difference.
Reply 7
If you revise enough for your mocks it means you have less revision to do in May :smile:
Do revise for your mocks, then restart for exams in may during your easter holidays. I did however leave GCSE biology revision until maybe 2-3 days before the exam, and still came out with an A*
Reply 9
night before/no revision whatsoever.
1a* 9a's
Reply 10
On the safe side, a month before your first exam..
Reply 11
make notes really early, like 4 weeks then all you have to do it re read them! worked for me, 5A*'s 5A's!
I started 10 weeks before, and realised I would have come out with the same results if I'd revised only 2 weeks before.

when you get to AS/A level though, that is another story.....you should revise as you go along
If you desire top grades and possible entry into top universities (regardless of what type of school you attend), I say start revising and even being ahead of the class as soon as you begin 5th form (Year 11). Revision should be constant, so that there is no rushing or cramming.

Thus, if you have not begun by now - begin now! Remember - the key to success and understanding is constant revision. Pre-night revision is unadvised - equivalent to cramming and one may forget some information... it works for some, but not for others. Cramming is not advised.

Good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I revised a bit for my mocks in december then the next time I revised was during study leave just during the days before my exams e.g. for the 2 days before my history exam I revised history then a few days later was chemistry so in the 2 days before or whatever I revised that. My friend was revising months before, really intensely as well but we both came out with straight A*s so it does depend on the person. Make sure you work hard at school when you do revision in class or get given past papers and do what feels best for you :smile:

EDIT: I don't advise this btw...I have a good memory and had a good foundation in the subjects (except history) anyway. If you have a good foundation and you feel like you understand things then you can get away with a couple of weeks before imo (if you're not a slow learner). Otherwise write notes in the Easter holidays so you don't have to spend 9 hours writing notes on the cold war in one day like I did :P That way you can go over them a couple of weeks before.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by harry3
make notes really early, like 4 weeks then all you have to do it re read them! worked for me, 5A*'s 5A's!

This!
Reply 16
Original post by luisaxxx
night before/no revision whatsoever.
1a* 9a's

:biggrin: Agreed. Although my results weren't as good as yours only got 2A* 5A and 3B's but who's counting. :cool:
Reply 17
I think it depends on the subject, for the sciences I started to revise about a month before (would have been later but get more nervous in science exams than any other subject for some reason), for History I'm doing it as we go along, and making sure I get everything. I've never tried cramming, as I'm afraid of the consequences due my unreliable memory (remember loads, forget important bits occasionally).

Depends on you, but for tricky subjects/exam techniques then a month before at the least imo.
Reply 18
You haven't started yet!?!?!?! you're screwed!! :eek:

Jokes :colone: I'm doing GCSES and revising throughout this year, but it just depends on the person
Reply 19
For me, I have a very good short term memory, so revising a MONTH before the exam doesn't help me much. I start revising about a week before every single day. And pay attention in class in the first place of course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest