The Student Room Group

part time jobs - salary

How much do people make roughly from part time work?

Obviously, once I start Uni I will need a part time job to make ends meet; a couple of days a week in a shop or something like that. What's the going rate for this sort of thing these days? I will be in Norwich, by the way.

Any info appreciated!

Em x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anything over £6ph is a win imo.

NMW=£4.92 ph for workers aged 18-20
Reply 2
Thanks for the info. I need to make £600 per month! Starting to worry I'll be having to do an awful lot of shelf stacking :/
Original post by emelle
Thanks for the info. I need to make £600 per month! Starting to worry I'll be having to do an awful lot of shelf stacking :/

That's an awful lot to have to raise each month whilst studying for a degree. Why so much, if you pardon my asking?
It will be tough but if you can get a job for£6.50 ph and do three shifts a week then that should bring in over £600 a month.
Reply 5
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
That's an awful lot to have to raise each month whilst studying for a degree. Why so much, if you pardon my asking?

I live an hour away from my uni, so will be spending at least £300-400 per month on petrol, plus running costs. My loan and grant will all go on my expenses - I rent a house with partner and have all the usual "grown up" expenses and bills to pay.
primark- £6.30 an hour when im 18 :biggrin:
hello
can a student have two or three jobs at a time(part time jobs):confused:
trying to be a hard worker here:biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm on a gap year, working 20 hours a week (studying for some extra AS exams) and i'm on £7.68 per hour at my job in retail, which will rise after my review/probation.

Jobs in London, especially West End/Westfield (White City) pay nicely.

For me anything over £7 is a win.

But yeah as everyone said it can very from like £4 something to £7+ just depends where you apply and what location. :h:
Reply 9
You're going to have to be working an awful lot to earn £600 a month. 25 hours a week if you're on £6 an hour. I'm personally on £6.15, and earn ~£300 a month from 14 hours a week (don't get paid breaks, which with some places you need to take into account). Is there not a cheaper way for you travel into uni like bus or train?
Some phone companies pay on comission. I have a friend who gets paid > £6 per hour but usually earns quite a bit on comission working for Orange. That could be a way of not having to work as many hours I guess but you need to be good at your job!
i work 2 nights a week (fri + sat) at sainsburys and earn £7.83 an hour, i get about £600 a month after tax so i'd look into it... i work 2 10 hour shifts :smile:
Original post by emelle

Obviously, once I start Uni I will need a part time job to make ends meet; a couple of days a week in a shop or something like that. What's the going rate for this sort of thing these days? I will be in Norwich, by the way.

Any info appreciated!

Em x

I make £5.50 per hour, generally do between 12 and 16 hours per week. I used to do more but everyone's hours got cut back :/
Reply 13
Original post by Ronda
You're going to have to be working an awful lot to earn £600 a month. 25 hours a week if you're on £6 an hour. I'm personally on £6.15, and earn ~£300 a month from 14 hours a week (don't get paid breaks, which with some places you need to take into account). Is there not a cheaper way for you travel into uni like bus or train?

No, I live 40 miles away and there is no public transport

Thanks for your input everyone :smile:
You got me wrong bro.yes i am from pakistan,but i will never neglect or ditch my study ever,I got my whole career based on ma studies.For your info i would need atleast two jobs to cover my study expenses and such.
I dont wanna overwhelm my dream of being a good writer.I can write pretty well,stories,lyrics,poems etc :wink:
Original post by emelle

Any info appreciated!

Em x

i earn £6.37 an hour i work for a supermarket chain part time
I make about ~£320 a month from 12 hours work a week - it's pretty good, but now that uni's on break I could do with a few more hours! It's a good rate (£6.70 ph, I'm 19) but I lose a lot of it through travel.
Make sure it's worth it because it's pretty tiring on top of uni!
For £600 a month on £6 an hour, you'll need to work 100 hours per month, so about 23 hours per week. Most uni's recommend you work a maximum of 15 hours per week, and thats for students who don't have to travel 2 hours per day.

You are seriously going to struggle, can you not move closer to uni?

Oh and in answer to the original post, I make £560 a month from 14 hours per week. Sometimes more if I do overtime.
(edited 12 years ago)
£4.92 :facepalm2:

Original post by lazy smurf
For £600 a month on £6 an hour, you'll need to work 100 hours per month, so about 23 hours per week. Most uni's recommend you work a maximum of 15 hours per week, and thats for students who don't have to travel 2 hours per day.

You are seriously going to struggle, can you not move closer to uni?

Oh and in answer to the original post, I make £560 a month from 14 hours per week. Sometimes more if I do overtime.

You make £10 per hour?!! :eek:

Where on earth do you work?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
£4.92 :facepalm2:

You make £10 per hour?!! :eek:

Where on earth do you work?

I work in an office for the government, full time when not at uni, and part time when at uni.

Eternally thankful to my boss :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending