The Student Room Group

Clubs Charging for Guys, Girls Go FREE - Illegal?

Well im sure a lot of guys will agree but I personally find this to be one of the most frustrating things on a night out. It doesn't take a genius to work out that it is a simply unfair practice. Now I understand clubs have to attract girls in order to avoid the much dreaded sausage-fest scenario but that does not justify charging males only, they could still simply turn guys away if the club was becoming too full.

Why is it this continues to take place and be ignored by authorities when it is clearly in breech of the Sex Discrimination Act? Has anyone ever tried to uphold this in the courts and set a precedent? Im sure if I opened a supermarket but charged girls £10 to get in on the basis they were simply female I would sure get done for discrimination?

Whats peoples views on this?

Scroll to see replies

Such clubs will be terrible anyway...
Reply 2
It's wrong. Just like car insurance, but they've changed that now.
Reply 3
The same clubs would probably ID all the guys and never ID any of the girls, despite some of them probably being about 14.
Reply 4
Original post by Thirst
Well im sure a lot of guys will agree but I personally find this to be one of the most frustrating things on a night out. It doesn't take a genius to work out that it is a simply unfair practice. Now I understand clubs have to attract girls in order to avoid the much dreaded sausage-fest scenario but that does not justify charging males only, they could still simply turn guys away if the club was becoming too full.
It doesn't work like that - you need to get the girls to come in the first place - and you do that by letting them in free. If you charge, they might not go clubbing at all and go to a pub or stay home.

Why is it this continues to take place and be ignored by authorities when it is clearly in breech of the Sex Discrimination Act? Has anyone ever tried to uphold this in the courts and set a precedent? Im sure if I opened a supermarket but charged girls £10 to get in on the basis they were simply female I would sure get done for discrimination?

Whats peoples views on this?

While it is likely to be a breach, it's one of those which is not in anyone's interests to contest.

The elephant in the room is obviously car insurance premiums.
Reply 5
I wondered this... we went out the other night and came across a club; asked the entry fee and were told £1.50. So we went in, but when our male friends caught up and came in a few minutes later (they'd been seeing another friend home safely) they got charged £3. Turns out it was ladies half price.

I didn't realise this was allowed! But I suppose when you think about it it probably is... I mean, look at student discounts or freebies. That's definitely allowed but technically someone could say it's discrimination against non-students. I know that it's very different to gender, but still.

Not that I'm saying it's right that they do this; it's not fair on guys. And to be totally honest I'm not sure it even works that well as a tactic to 'attract girls'. But I think it's probably legal. I'm no expert though so who knows!

EDIT: Why am I being negged so much for this?! I don't think I said anything particularly controversial, everything was pretty much opinion based, and I might be wrong about whether it's legal but I clearly stated that I don't KNOW it's just a guess...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Clip
It doesn't work like that - you need to get the girls to come in the first place - and you do that by letting them in free. If you charge, they might not go clubbing at all and go to a pub or stay home.

Yes, that is the clubs' reasoning, but just because the club wants girls in doesn't justify them discriminating based on gender.
Sometimes I feel bad when men are refused entry just to let a group of scantily clad women in but they can pretty much do what they want... I think

Don't know if that's illegal or even been pursued but it is definitely unfair. The security at those kinds of places are usually knobs aswell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
At the end of the day, you need a good ratio, and somehow or other that has to be maintained.
Reply 9
Mate if they let in a load of slags for free at the door, and you have to pay 10 quid, surely you get your moneys worth when your on the dance floor with them and maybe even after :smug:
Original post by Harrifer
At the end of the day, you need a good ratio, and somehow or other that has to be maintained.

So discrimination should be allowed just to maintain a desired ratio?

What is the discrimination was illegal? Should breaking the law be allowed to maintain a desired ratio?
Imagine how **** it would be the other way round though :lolwut:
Reply 12
Original post by Aeroman1
Mate if they let in a load of slags for free at the door, and you have to pay 10 quid, surely you get your moneys worth when your on the dance floor with them and maybe even after :smug:

This. From a male perspective it's better than letting in a load of posers.
Reply 13
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes, that is the clubs' reasoning, but just because the club wants girls in doesn't justify them discriminating based on gender.

But it's the easiest way - and since no-one really cares, it's also (in that sense) fair. No different from insurance. If you are 17, your premiums will be mega. That's clearly age discrimination, even though it might be risk-based and make sense. But anyone support levelling of insurance premiums across the board?
I feel cheated for never getting into clubs free... Maybe I need sluttier clothes...
Reply 15
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So discrimination should be allowed just to maintain a desired ratio?

What is the discrimination was illegal? Should breaking the law be allowed to maintain a desired ratio?

Well the legality of it is a different matter, and one for the courts to decide.

As far as 'discrimination' goes, I don't really have a problem with it. As far as I can see, it's literally their business. I wouldn't feel I was being oppressed if I was turned away.
Me and my friends never get let in free. Even the sluttier ones. Obviously we're going to the wrong places, I must find out where these clubs are :colonhash:
Reply 17
Original post by Clip

But I don't think that is particularly the case very often. Clubbing (in my area at least) is a more of a female-driven activity (women go clubbing, men go the pub/bars), yet there are still ladies nights at most places. And besides, not all guys go to clubs simply to pull so whether its in their "interests" is debatable, I like a bit of eye candy on a night out, but who needs eye candy when you have reasonably priced drinks! (i.e. not paying triple what the girls have to) :tongue:

I have a mixed-gender friendship group so why should I be charged more, even though technically I'm bringing along female friends for this potential "pulling pool"? Should I get a "bonus" for roping girls in? Of course not, its just weird.

I'm curious as to what happens with the same in relation to gay bars. Do they regularly charge double/triple to any female or straight male friends being brought along as they are narrowing the potential dating pool?
Reply 18
Who honestly cares?
Original post by kpwxx
I wondered this... we went out the other night and came across a club; asked the entry fee and were told £1.50. So we went in, but when our male friends caught up and came in a few minutes later (they'd been seeing another friend home safely) they got charged £3. Turns out it was ladies half price.

I didn't realise this was allowed! But I suppose when you think about it it probably is... I mean, look at student discounts or freebies. That's definitely allowed but technically someone could say it's discrimination against non-students. I know that it's very different to gender, but still.

Not that I'm saying it's right that they do this; it's not fair on guys. And to be totally honest I'm not sure it even works that well as a tactic to 'attract girls'. But I think it's probably legal. I'm no expert though so who knows!

EDIT: Why am I being negged so much for this?! I don't think I said anything particularly controversial, everything was pretty much opinion based, and I might be wrong about whether it's legal but I clearly stated that I don't KNOW it's just a guess...

It's because what you are saying about the student discount being a similar form of discrimination is particularly stupid and irritating.

And FYI I was the first person to neg your comment and thereby starting the ****storm of negs coming your way.

Feel free to neg me as I actually couldn't care less as it affects my life in NO way whatsover (unlike you, who had to edit her comment right after you received a. Few negs)

I'm outta here baby.

Quick Reply