The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Dundee Applicants 2012!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Vitamin D
I'm a first year on the MA course, it's great :yep:! I wish you luck!

For anyone wondering, I didn't get my offer until around the end of February. My friend got an offer for English earlier than that, though.

Oh what's the course like if you don't mind me asking? And how does it work with the whole MA thing and picking other subject areas?
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 61
Original post by Alt__x
Me too!! :biggrin: It looks like a great course, where else are you applying?

It does yes! :biggrin: So is Dundee ur first choice? I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and St.Andrews :smile: What bout you? :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Morgana
It does yes! :biggrin: So is Dundee ur first choice? I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and St.Andrews :smile: What bout you? :smile:

I think so, it came across really well in the open days :biggrin: Wow, those are really great universities, what is your first choice? I'm applying to Strathclyde as well, but I'm also applying to Aberdeen, Stirling and The Robert Gordon University. I don't really want to go to Robert Gordon though, its my back up.
Reply 63
Original post by Alt__x
I think so, it came across really well in the open days :biggrin: Wow, those are really great universities, what is your first choice? I'm applying to Strathclyde as well, but I'm also applying to Aberdeen, Stirling and The Robert Gordon University. I don't really want to go to Robert Gordon though, its my back up.

I suppose Edinburgh :smile: But it's so competitive and as a european applicant I doubt they'll even consider my application lol But hey, fingers crossed! Not sure bout St.Andrews though, I'll probably apply to Stirling instead :biggrin: What do you think of it?
Never heard about Robert Gordon uni :confused:
Reply 64
Original post by Morgana
I suppose Edinburgh :smile: But it's so competitive and as a european applicant I doubt they'll even consider my application lol But hey, fingers crossed! Not sure bout St.Andrews though, I'll probably apply to Stirling instead :biggrin: What do you think of it?
Never heard about Robert Gordon uni :confused:

Think positive! :smile:
I really liked Stirling. It is really pretty, but it is not in Stirling, so if you want the city life, I suggest Edinburgh!
Robert Gordon is in Aberdeen, I'm applying there for business management. Its not as well known as it is a newer university, but its still really good, especially for business.
Reply 65
I've applied to dundee for nursing :smile:
Original post by Alice.
Oh what's the course like if you don't mind me asking? And how does it work with the whole MA thing and picking other subject areas?

If you look on here, it gives you a really good idea of what the modules are like :smile: So far everyone has been very helpful, and you don't get any exams in the first semester (just two multiple choice tests) so it's not as stressful. All of the lecturers I've had have been really enthusiastic (particularly Tom Ball, you meet him a few times in first year and then later on if you're lucky), lectures are (usually) quite interesting :smile:

When you pick other modules, you simply choose from the other courses in the MA degree programme. You choose six modules in first year, 3 for each of the two semesters. To give you an example, I choose Geography, Environmental Science (this is a great module by the way, I think it's really complimentary to the Geography one) and Economics. So in Semester 1 I do the first 3 modules, and in Semester 2 I do the remaining 3. They tell you to choose modules which allow you to progress into at least 2 courses. This is where it gets a bit complicated because many of the courses (might even be all of them) only need you to take 1 module in first year in order to continue on to second year. They do this just so that you have a back-up option. If I were to fail both of my Geography modules and pass the Economics ones, I could choose to pursue Economics instead, if I wished to. This can also lead to joint-honours.

I hope I've explained it well :tongue: They do a better job than me, when the time comes. If you want a list of the other modules you can choose just ask, I didn't want to clutter up the thread :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Alt__x
Think positive! :smile:
I really liked Stirling. It is really pretty, but it is not in Stirling, so if you want the city life, I suggest Edinburgh!
Robert Gordon is in Aberdeen, I'm applying there for business management. Its not as well known as it is a newer university, but its still really good, especially for business.

Sounds good! Good luck to you too! :biggrin: I'm sending off my application on Monday! :smile: I'm so nervous yet excited! :biggrin:
Reply 68
If you look on here, it gives you a really good idea of what the modules are like :smile: So far everyone has been very helpful, and you don't get any exams in the first semester (just two multiple choice tests) so it's not as stressful....

Oh thanks so much, that's really helpful :smile:
I was looking at one of the Environmental modules. And do you know if the planning module in year 1 is actual planning or the career planning that appears in the year 2 box for the MA?
Original post by Alice.
Oh thanks so much, that's really helpful :smile:
I was looking at one of the Environmental modules. And do you know if the planning module in year 1 is actual planning or the career planning that appears in the year 2 box for the MA?

Sorry, which planning module do you mean? There's a sort of 'study skills' module and then there's Town Planning?
Reply 70
Sorry, which planning module do you mean? There's a sort of 'study skills' module and then there's Town Planning?

Sorry, on this page http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/ma_degree_structure_overview.htm

Under Level 1 it just says Planning as a module, I assume that's Town Planning?
Then under Level 2 there's both Career Planning and Planning (assume again that's Town Planning)

Is that right?
Original post by Alice.
Sorry, on this page http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/ma_degree_structure_overview.htm

Under Level 1 it just says Planning as a module, I assume that's Town Planning?
Then under Level 2 there's both Career Planning and Planning (assume again that's Town Planning)

Is that right?

Ah yes, that'll be Town Planning. :yep:
Reply 72
Original post by MissWinged
I've applied for Classical Civilisation and Film Studies but haven't heard back yet :frown: Does anyone know when they will be giving out offers, or if they've already started?
It's my joint first choice, with St Andrews also being first. I'm going to look at St Andrews though and see if its as good, because I went to see Dundee and I just fell in love with it. Also I just got an offer from Glasgow and that looks awesome, as well! So many good unis.....

im sure you will get an offer soon :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by dmr
Royal Holloway and Plymouth :biggrin:, where else have you applied? ^_^

Ah right! I was wondering if any Scottish universities had given out any offers!
I have also applied to Stirling, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Glasgow. I am still waiting on my school to do my references, I am getting so annoyed at them!
Sent my application off yesterday, excited :biggrin:
Reply 75
Original post by BoyceAvenue
Sent my application off yesterday, excited :biggrin:

What have you applied for?
Reply 76
So hope I get an offer from Dundee!! Although it will be my insurance, i'd still gladly go there as i know it's a great uni!! :biggrin: (which will probably be the outcome as I'm not confident on getting the grades I need to get into Leeds :frown:)
politics is where it's at. i'll show you all round the union.
Reply 78
Original post by irish guy
I'm actually here now doing an International Business degree :biggrin:. Dundee was also my firm choice, but so glad i came here, it's awesome! Also there's so many Irish over here from the North and South, it feels just like home when you hear the familiar accent.

Hey. I've applied for International Business with German. What's the course like? :smile:
Reply 79
I sent away my application on the 4th of November :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest