The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Anyone applying to UCL without a language GCSE?

Emailed them asking if my chances would be reduced and the reply alluded that the only accepted reason is that your school didn't offer a language GCSE.

This bad news for anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When I applied, it was stated that a language gcse was necessary, which I did not have, and I was still offered a place.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Question for my friend, does Welsh 2nd language full course GCSE count as an MFL?
Reply 3
Original post by Jake9
When I applied, it was stated that a language gcse was necessary, which I did not have, and I was still offered a place.

Seriously, when was this?

I thought the GCSE language requirement was newly introduced this year?
Reply 4
Original post by Lewis :D
Question for my friend, does Welsh 2nd language full course GCSE count as an MFL?

Of course it counts
Mega late reply I know but for anyone else wondering this:
"For UK-based students a Modern Language GCSE at minimum grade C is required. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL."
Straight from the website
Reply 6
I just got this email today.
I didn't think I would apply for UCL 5 years in advance when I chose my GCSEs, does that count as a reasonable response? I studied 3 different languages below GCSE level, and they only offered French at GCSE level, which I did not want to study, does that count??
Reply 7
My best friend doesn't have a language GCSE, even though her school offered them - but only 1 person out of the year of 200 people (and the class of about 20) actually got a C or above, so she was let off the requirement on grounds of her school being terrible. She's now at UCL.

Email/ring them with your personal circumstances.
Reply 8
Original post by kerily
My best friend doesn't have a language GCSE, even though her school offered them - but only 1 person out of the year of 200 people (and the class of about 20) actually got a C or above, so she was let off the requirement on grounds of her school being terrible. She's now at UCL.

Email/ring them with your personal circumstances.

From the email I received, it stated I would need to have my "intercultural awareness" developed if I didn't have another language to offer.

Did you know how your friend got away with it in the end? (e.g, did she attend the "intensive" summer course programme or something?)
Reply 9
How would they know if your school didn't offer one, especially if you're at a different sixth form where your reference doesn't know about your high school.
Original post by Nix-j-c
How would they know if your school didn't offer one, especially if you're at a different sixth form where your reference doesn't know about your high school.

They can see what GCSEs you got.
Therefore, if you don't have a C in GCSE for any language other than english, they give you a call/email.
Reply 11
Original post by darkfang77
They can see what GCSEs you got.
Therefore, if you don't have a C in GCSE for any language other than english, they give you a call/email.

But how would they know it's because you couldn't be bothered doing one or that your school didn't offer ir? And you could easily lie, would they go to the bother of phoning your high school up?
Reply 12
What if English is your second language? (GCSE's still taken in UK)
Original post by Nix-j-c
But how would they know it's because you couldn't be bothered doing one or that your school didn't offer ir? And you could easily lie, would they go to the bother of phoning your high school up?

If you don't have one, you are told to provide a note from your 2ndary school explaining that they didn't offer the course.

That, or explain why you applied for UCL when you knew you had to take a GCSE in language 5 years before even thought about applying there in the first place.

Yes, UCL are utter idiots for wasting people's time like that.

Oh you could also lie about faking a note from your 2ndary school explaining that they didn't offer the GCSE in the first place.

Personally, I visited UCL last week (not a open day), but it was enough. I don't know if I was particularly unlucky, but the students that I overheard talking extremely loudly sounded a little stuck up in the way of Oxbridge rejects, so that's had a negative impact on my desire to study there.
Original post by Nucleo
What if English is your second language? (GCSE's still taken in UK)

Quoted from my email:

"I am writing to alert you to our Foreign Language requirement. All UK-based students who have studied in the UK are required to offer a foreign language (any language except Ancient Greek, Latin and Esperanto) to at least GCSE grade C or equivalent. This policy was introduced to reflect the importance UCL attaches to foreign language skills as a component of a broad and balanced education, and intercultural awareness. "

Are you a UK based student?
Reply 15
Quoted from my email:

"I am writing to alert you to our Foreign Language requirement. All UK-based students who have studied in the UK are required to offer a foreign language (any language except Ancient Greek, Latin and Esperanto) to at least GCSE grade C or equivalent. This policy was introduced to reflect the importance UCL attaches to foreign language skills as a component of a broad and balanced education, and intercultural awareness. "

Are you a UK based student?

Darn it, yes I am, but im fluent in 2 other languages in speaking and writing, and semi-fluent in another. I guess they definately want it on paper :/
Original post by Nucleo
Darn it, yes I am, but im fluent in 2 other languages in speaking and writing, and semi-fluent in another. I guess they definately want it on paper :/

I concur, I don't think they'll allow any exceptions. Even if you're foreign or anything.
TBH, if UCL wasn't so damn.... posh... I'd be more than happy to study at their intensive summer course, MORE THAN HAPPY!! I studied 3 langs at under GCSE level, they only did french at GCSE which I hated with a passion, let me do German and I'll snap up what ever crappy offer they'll give me.

what course you applying for btw?
Reply 17
I concur, I don't think they'll allow any exceptions. Even if you're foreign or anything.
TBH, if UCL wasn't so damn.... posh... I'd be more than happy to study at their intensive summer course, MORE THAN HAPPY!! I studied 3 langs at under GCSE level, they only did french at GCSE which I hated with a passion, let me do German and I'll snap up what ever crappy offer they'll give me.

what course you applying for btw?

Medicine, well not that i'll be applying to UCL anymore, it's a shame I like their course structure :frown:
Reply 18
I got a D in French GCSE (absolutely hated it). Anyway phoned up admissions (anthropology dept. where i'm applying) and asked if this would significantly hinder my application to them, they said it wasn't a problem, they are willing to accept people who have failed or do not possess a GCSE in an MFL if the rest of their application is strong enough; provided they complete the 0.5 unit language course once enrolled at the uni. I wouldn't be put off by applying over something as trivial as a piece of s**t MFL GCSE :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
What the hell? I hadn't heard about this until now. I studied French and Spanish before GCSE, but I didn't take a language for GCSE because I wanted to do Spanish, but then moved school at the end of year to a new school, which only offered French and German (I hadn't done any German before), and I despise French. Great. Just greeat.

Quick Reply