The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

I'm pescetarian, was previously a vegetarian but had to give it up due to getting horrendous migraines. When I started eating fish again I haven't had a single migraine, whereas previously I used to get them at least twice a week. I think it's something to do with omega oils. Apart from the migraines, I was quite happy being a vegetarian (was one for four years) and definitely felt much healthier generally.
Original post by hmon93
It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.

It's ok to eat fish, but it's annoying when people who eat it claim to be vegetarian
Not as bad as people who say they're 'half-vegetarian' when they don't eat red meat, yet eat poultry and fish :confused:
Original post by hmon93
It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.

LOL
Reply 85
Original post by velociraptor
many cheeses contain animal rennet (complex of enzymes from mammal stomachs) and are therefore not vegetarian. However, there is a huuuuge selection of veggie friendly cheeses.

I doubt the guy's sandwich had Grana Padano in it.

The vast majority of 'everyday' cheeses are veggie.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Drapetomanic
I disagree, if your actions are indirectly or directly affecting the lives of other beings then some justification is needed. I don't eat pigs or children because I don't think the suffering involved is necessary. I eat plants because their capacity to suffer is more or less non existent.

If you moralise people's other actions then why not their dietary choices?

Do you think the suffering inflicted on animals when testing drugs is necessary? Would you still use animal tested drugs? What if they would alleviate your own suffering?

Many vegetarians and vegans would justify this by saying it is necessary because they feel that they need it in their lives, regardless of how other people may feel about the matter, and find any moralising on the part of others unwelcome and intrusive. Just as I feel that the fact that meat in my diet is necessary, and being told that I'm somehow a cruel and unethical person for doing so unwelcome and intrusive.

Your justification for eating plants because their suffering is more or less nonexistent is a fallacious argument many vegans and vegetarians often fall into, since it is clearly and undeniably possible to kill an animal instantaneously without it being aware of its fate, and their suffering "more or less nonexistent". Even in these cases, would you eat it? No, of course not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can anyone explain to me, why it's alright for Tyra Banks to eat other humans? :-|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4PrnxcM2A
Reply 88
My mate's Dad was once talking about this, veggies eating fish but not meat. He described it so well. Justifiable homocide lol
I fall into this category and realise the inherent hypocrisy of this choice. I stopped eating non-seafood meat about 6 months ago just because I woke up one day just thought the whole intensive process is a bit horrid, fickle I suppose. I didn't eat fish that often before and still dont now (about once a week) . At first I reasoned that my diet does a fair amount of good as it is but I do realise how strange it seems. I still haven't really decided where I stand on the subject to be honest - maybe i'll go all the way in the future. Anyway, I do call myself vegetarian but wouldn't hesitate to explain if questioned. I'm not particularly bothered what other people opinions (excluding here ofc!) but it is a bit tiring when you get chastised for it.
Rubbish, there are shades of gray in life not just black and white. It is debatable whether fish fill pain. Most fish are caught from the ocean, not reared in cages. Fish are certainly less intelligent than farm animals. There is nothing contradictory about taking the view that catching fish is fine, whereas slaughtering a very intelligent animal like a pig is not.

There is a sliding scale of animal rights. Different people take different account of animal welfare and draw the line in a different place. Similarly, eating meat doesn't mean you have no problem with battery-farming and it doesn't mean you are fine with people who abuse animals.
Reply 92
Forget fish vs land animal meat, vegetarians are confused full stop.

But yes, an animal is an animal whether it has evolved to live under or above water, vegetarians just don't seem to think things through very rationally. It's all emotion and no real justification.
Original post by Pitt1988
My mate's Dad was once talking about this, veggies eating fish but not meat. He described it so well. Justifiable homocide lol

Doesn't that mean killing humans?
Reply 94
Original post by marcusfox
Do you think the suffering inflicted on animals when testing drugs is necessary? Would you still use animal tested drugs? What if they would alleviate your own suffering?

Many vegetarians and vegans would justify this by saying it is necessary because they feel that they need it in their lives, regardless of how other people may feel about the matter, and find any moralising on the part of others unwelcome and intrusive. Just as I feel that the fact that meat in my diet is necessary, and being told that I'm somehow a cruel and unethical person for doing so unwelcome and intrusive.

Your justification for eating plants because their suffering is more or less nonexistent is a fallacious argument many vegans and vegetarians often fall into, since it is clearly and undeniably possible to kill an animal instantaneously without it being aware of its fate, and their suffering "more or less nonexistent". Even in these cases, would you eat it? No, of course not.

I agree on many of your previous points, yet I do have to object on this particular one.

You can buy products that have not been tested on animals.
Original post by blueray
I agree on many of your previous points, yet I do have to object on this particular one.

You can buy products that have not been tested on animals.

Most, if not all drugs are tested on animals, especially drugs that are popular today and have been in use for years.

If they weren't tested on animals for safety and efficacy, it would be very difficult for the manufacturers to get the necessary authorisations to commence human trials.
Reply 96
Original post by medic_armadillo7
Doesn't that mean killing humans?

Yeah lol, was just funny at the time. Guess it's one of them had to have been there things.
Original post by Pitt1988
Yeah lol, was just funny at the time. Guess it's one of them had to have been there things.

Lol
Original post by callum9999
I'm sure someone could devise an equally impressive-looking chart about a computer as well - does that mean computers are alive?

By computer I assume you mean something like a robot? Like a really advanced robot that could do all the things necessary to stay in one piece, maintain its power supply and assemble a copy of itself?

That sounds alive enough to me. Of course, that does depend on how you define "life".
Original post by marcusfox

I'd argue that in most cases animal testing is pivotal to drug development and without it we'd struggle to bring many life saving drugs into the human trial stage. Not to mention the fact that animals seem to be treated in a more "humane" manner than in the meat industry. So yes I'd say drug testing is necessary and the suffering that would ensue if we were to ban it would be greater than the suffering inflicted on the animals.

I don't find moralising unwelcome and intrusive. I've "moralised" it myself and come to the conclusion that it's an ethical practice. I'd welcome a logical argument to the contrary.

If a murderer says 'I think killing is necessary in my life' most people would "moralise" and condemn his behaviour on the grounds that he doesn't need to kill people to live, and that he is causing unnecessary suffering. That's similar to the argument I'm making regarding meat. Unless you have a medical condition, the majority of the time meat eating isn't necessary, and by buying meat you're increasing the demand of animal suffering (obviously I'm not saying murder is equal to a bacon sandwich but you get the idea).

Wouldn't I? If we were to rear animals in a completely pain free and healthy environment to be killed without pain or suffering of any kind, then I'd be much more inclined to eat it. Although, you could make the argument that there are more environmentally friendly ways to get your food; so I might refrain for that reason. However, in reality the vast, vast majority of animals live unhealthy lives that restrict their normal behaviour and cause varying levels of suffering. That's not taking into consideration the painful methods by which many animals are slaughtered.

So I fail to see why my argument is 'fallacious' when the hypothetical scenario you describe doesn't exist, the fact remains that animals do experience suffering and plants (more or less) do not.

Quick Reply

Latest