The Student Room Group

Pay for Room Electricy By Meter?

Hi, so I found a room in student housing and the rent is pretty reasonable. It's cheaper than halls anyway and it includes gas, water and SOME electricity

However here's the bit where I am on the apprehensive side... there's a meter in our rooms and that's how we pay for the rooms electric (barring lights).

So I was wondering if there's anyone on here who has lived in a similar house and how much did it cost a week to have enough electricity. (There's no lounge in the house)?

The meters are on a room to room basis, I'll only be paying for my own, so how much roughly will it be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone at all ?
Reply 2
wow, i've never heard of that.

Other people may not have heard of it either, and so that would be why you have no replies. sorry, i realise this is no help.
Although i think it would be a lot more beneficial for you (as long as you keep an eye on it) as this way you are paying or oyur on electric, and other housemates arent taking the mick.

Can i ask what happens with the kitchen? has this also got a separate electric meter?
Reply 3
This is potentially illegal from what I remember, they are not supposed to have meters like this if it is fitted by the landlord. If the meter is one from the electric company then that is fine. If not then I would be very suspicious, in fact I would never rent in a place like that.
Reply 4
I think it's fitted by the electric company, and it's pay-as-you-go (as in I have to top it up with cash or a card).

I was thinking it might be easier as then I'm paying for my own rather than other peoples (I'm going to be living with a friend and five other girls) but I just hope it's not ridiculously priced.

The kitchens electric is covered by rent, it's only the bedrooms that have the electricity meters.

Thank you for the help :smile:
Original post by mabrookes
This is potentially illegal from what I remember, they are not supposed to have meters like this if it is fitted by the landlord. If the meter is one from the electric company then that is fine. If not then I would be very suspicious, in fact I would never rent in a place like that.

Didn't know that. Besides, these meter things are expensive. It's cheaper to do a direct debit every month (One person pays, the others pay them)
Reply 6
Meters are fine, as long as they are fitted my the electric company. You'll be able to budget yourself easier, than having to worry about a direct debit (if you've over spent etc). Call the electric company and get it changed over to your name, so if there is debt on it, you wont be responsible for it. Secondly tell them you are a full time student, as they may have cheaper tariffs for students. For a single room I find it highly unlikely that you'll spend more than £10 a week on it, that's my usual amount (but im in a studio flat). Just top it up and when it runs out, top it up again :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Also depends on the type of cooker (if applicable) and heating. Would the heater in the room be electric or run off a gas boiler and if its electric does it come off your meter?
You won't be paying more than £1 or £2 a week.
Reply 9
Original post by BexiG
Meters are fine, as long as they are fitted my the electric company. You'll be able to budget yourself easier, than having to worry about a direct debit (if you've over spent etc). Call the electric company and get it changed over to your name, so if there is debt on it, you wont be responsible for it. Secondly tell them you are a full time student, as they may have cheaper tariffs for students. For a single room I find it highly unlikely that you'll spend more than £10 a week on it, that's my usual amount (but im in a studio flat). Just top it up and when it runs out, top it up again :biggrin:

Yeah I suppose it is easier than a debit one because I can control what I'm spending.
Will have to see if they do student tariffs :smile:. Ten quid seems pretty reasonable per week.
Reply 10
Original post by los lobos marinos
Also depends on the type of cooker (if applicable) and heating. Would the heater in the room be electric or run off a gas boiler and if its electric does it come off your meter?

Heater is run off gas :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by mel_1991
Yeah I suppose it is easier than a debit one because I can control what I'm spending.
Will have to see if they do student tariffs :smile:. Ten quid seems pretty reasonable per week.

PAYG meters are mega expensive compared to a DD arrangement with the energy provider, but does allow you to budget better. Might be worth speaking to your landlord, seeing if you can switch to DD though?
Original post by BexiG

Of course if you have a sudden problem with money then bye bye lights etc. Paying by direct debit is cheaper and can offer a flexibility if you need to push back a payment a week or two - you shouldnt be doing but you never know. I know someone who was late by a month and a half for a payment because of problems with money and the electricity company (and Virgin Media surprisingly) was mostly ok as long as he kept them informed. Had he been on a meter that is a long time without electricity.
Heater is run off gas :smile:

Still uses electricity for the pump, without electricity it wouldn't work :smile:

Original post by Prudy
PAYG meters are mega expensive compared to a DD arrangement with the energy provider, but does allow you to budget better. Might be worth speaking to your landlord, seeing if you can switch to DD though?

The landlord has no say in this unless they are paying the bills on their behalf. If they want to switch they can do so without any problems.
Original post by Prudy
PAYG meters are mega expensive compared to a DD
I'll second that. I'm in a 2 bed flat with electric cooker. All the lights are left on all day long and no-one ever turns off tv, computers or anything and it's only £46/month by DD...
Reply 15
Of course if you have a sudden problem with money then bye bye lights etc. Paying by direct debit is cheaper and can offer a flexibility if you need to push back a payment a week or two - you shouldnt be doing but you never know. I know someone who was late by a month and a half for a payment because of problems with money and the electricity company (and Virgin Media surprisingly) was mostly ok as long as he kept them informed. Had he been on a meter that is a long time without electricity.

Actually even if you're on a meter and run into money issues, they won't turn off the electricity, they'll just extend your emergency credit allowance.
I've used all the emergency credit before when on payg and found all the local shops paypoint service has gone down, so had no power for like half a day which sucked :frown: It was the main reason for changing to DD

Having said that, used an an extension lead into the hallway where there is communal lighting and a socket for the cleaner so used an extension cable for fridge and tv lol (sshhh it's a secret)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BexiG
Actually even if you're on a meter and run into money issues, they won't turn off the electricity, they'll just extend your emergency credit allowance.

For priority cases such as young children living there/families etc, students do not fall into this category so they do not have to extend it.
Reply 18
Still uses electricity for the pump, without electricity it wouldn't work :smile:

The landlord has no say in this unless they are paying the bills on their behalf. If they want to switch they can do so without any problems.

They usually have an obligation to inform their landlord, and to return the energy provider to the original supplier on vacation therefore advisable to speak to the landlord -not to mention changing from PAYG (visa versa) usually involves changing the meter which means you would have to restore the meter to PAYG on vacation, unless you had consent from the landlord
Reply 19
Hi, so I found a room in student housing and the rent is pretty reasonable. It's cheaper than halls anyway and it includes gas, water and SOME electricity

However here's the bit where I am on the apprehensive side... there's a meter in our rooms and that's how we pay for the rooms electric (barring lights).

So I was wondering if there's anyone on here who has lived in a similar house and how much did it cost a week to have enough electricity. (There's no lounge in the house)?

The meters are on a room to room basis, I'll only be paying for my own, so how much roughly will it be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Get a VERY LONG 8 gang extension lead from the kitchen to your room... and get yourself a floorlamp... SORTED! :biggrin: X

Quick Reply