The Student Room Group

Would you rather be supersized or superskinny?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Simplicity
I disagree with that. Most common problem is that skinny can't gain weight or build muscle.

It depends how skinny and how fat. But, personally I would want to be supersized as being a skinny kid must suck. Like being a girl.

I'd like to see some evidence that most skinny people "can't gain weight or muscle", sounds like a load of rubbish.
Original post by thelovecats
i got to the stage where i couldnt get out of bed because i got dizzy and nearly passed out every time i stood up - thats the worst!

I pretty much was at that stage and kept blacking out, even if I was just sitting down. Black out in the middle of class and sometimes people couldn't get me out of it! Don't think that's fainting...not sure lol.
between the two, I'd rather be superskinny. I'm watching my husband battle with weight at the moment, and he needs a lot of care. I wash him, help him to the toilet etc. and it is degrading to him. He's doing well with the weight loss but has a long way to go still.
I myself have lost just over 4 stone, and I know how hard it is to shift weight.

Being either extreme isn't great, but out of the two, I think I'd cope better with being underweight than overweight. You don't need to worry about whether or not you'll break a chair / whether you can fasten a seatbelt / whether or not you can fit in a bath / whether or not you can physically reach all parts of yourself to be able to wash .....

there are a HELL of a lot of mobility problems caused by being obese, and far less by being underweight.
Superskinny, but it depends. I am quite thin, my BMI is around 18 but I'm out of proprtion- skinny upper half and twig arms, normal size 8 bottom half. I want to be a stone heavier. I don't experience health problems, moreso a wish to have a better figure and be able to wear different styles of clothes than I am now, I have to be choosy in what I wear.

If superskinny means being 5 stone on a drip in hospital, near death, infertile with osteoporosis etc. etc. I'll take being supersized. There's a much smaller leeway in being thin and being emaciated weight wise than being overweight and being morbidly obese. So it does depend on what someone literally defines each as.
Original post by rlw31
I'd like to see some evidence that most skinny people "can't gain weight or muscle", sounds like a load of rubbish.

Not everyone is skinny because they want to be. It is not a matter of willpower. Have you never heard of people who are thin, eat huge amounts all the time and never put on weight? Or people who eat the same amount as others but are skinnier all the same. It is not the case with everyone, but it is very hard to put on weight for a lot of people. I am one of them. I have always been thin, it doesn't matyter what I eat. I also lose weight easily when I'm sick and it takes forever to put it back on, but never more than before!
Reply 25
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Not everyone is skinny because they want to be. It is not a matter of willpower. Have you never heard of people who are thin, eat huge amounts all the time and never put on weight? Or people who eat the same amount as others but are skinnier all the same. It is not the case with everyone, but it is very hard to put on weight for a lot of people. I am one of them. I have always been thin, it doesn't matyter what I eat. I also lose weight easily when I'm sick and it takes forever to put it back on, but never more than before!

Of course these people exist, but that's a far cry from "most skinny people can't gain weight". As the programme has shown, many people are in denial about their diets, but that doesn't mean that they can't gain weight.
Superskinny. At least then men would want to **** me.
Reply 27
Superskinny! I love food so it shouldn't be difficult to put some weight on (God knows I do it easily enough at a normal weight..)
I don't know.

I'm very slim, but the thought of being super-skinny and having protruding bones sickens me, it's the one thing which really makes me cringe. My hip bones stick out a tiny bit, you can't see them but you can feel them a little, and sometime it really grosses me out, I just can't deal with it!

So when I imagine being able to see and feel your rib cage and spinal cord etc, I feel like curling up into a ball.
Very hard question, but if I had a gun to my head, I'd choose super-skinny.
Superskinny. Because the world is sick and gave us the idea that superskinny is not "as bad as being superfat". You can still work as a model and so many more things. It would actually bing you more money than being healthy. Crazy.
Superskinny.
Original post by rlw31
Of course these people exist, but that's a far cry from "most skinny people can't gain weight". As the programme has shown, many people are in denial about their diets, but that doesn't mean that they can't gain weight.

The majority of very slim people will agree that it's hard to gain weight actually.
I'm very thin and I find it impossible to gain weight. I never gain weight, even at Christmas time when you eat twice as much as you normally do, and everyone is all 'I need to diet', I just haven't gained any.

I'm not a large eater and I find eating more food difficult, it's hard having to eat when your full already. And, if I ever feel slightly nervous, my appetite completely switches off and I really find it difficult to eat.
I think I must have an over-active fear response or something (:tongue:), because under stress I really struggle to eat properly and sometimes eating makes me feel sick. And that also goes for when I'm feeling down, unlike a lot of people who are comfort eaters I just don't want to eat!

I'm not whining though, I've accepted the fact that I'm very slim, I know I'm healthy so it's all good.
Reply 33
Original post by EffieFlowers
The majority of very slim people will agree that it's hard to gain weight actually.
I'm very thin and I find it impossible to gain weight. I never gain weight, even at Christmas time when you eat twice as much as you normally do, and everyone is all 'I need to diet', I just haven't gained any.

I'm not a large eater and I find eating more food difficult, it's hard having to eat when your full already. And, if I ever feel slightly nervous, my appetite completely switches off and I really find it difficult to eat.
I think I must have an over-active fear response or something (:tongue:), because under stress I really struggle to eat properly and sometimes eating makes me feel sick. And that also goes for when I'm feeling down, unlike a lot of people who are comfort eaters I just don't want to eat!

I'm not whining though, I've accepted the fact that I'm very slim, I know I'm healthy so it's all good.

But I still don't see how any of this supports the notion that most skinny people can't gain weight...
Reply 34
Super skinny. I find that putting on weight is easier than losing it, and it's also funner :tongue:
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
I'd rather be superskinny...there's not so much negativity towards people who are too thin as much as people who are overweight. Surely being too fat is worse for your health or are we led to believe that because of the hype and media attention towards obesity? I dunno. Oh and also then I could eat and eat and eat!!

This depends on your gender. Underweight boys get picked on in school.

Original post by Jackal The
Superskinny. It'd be much, much easier to just eat your way back to a normal weight. And more enjoyable.

Actually this isn't true. I've been underweight and I've also been on a cut to lose fat and it's much harder to gain weight when you're underweight, every mouthful is like swallowing a brick. Plus your stomach shrinks so you can only hold a small amount of food before you feel full, which is basically what a gastric bypass does to you. You have to eat through a physical pain barrier to get your stomach to grow when you're underweight. When you're fat you just have to choose what you eat more carefully and make really easy changes to your lifestyle.

Original post by rlw31

You're right, it's not rubbish. What skinny people mean when they say they eat a lot and can't put on weight, is that they eat until they are full. But because their stomach is small because they don't eat much, they don't get enough food in them to grow.

Gaining weight IS harder than losing it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by rlw31
But I still don't see how any of this supports the notion that most skinny people can't gain weight...

...no one said that..

No one is saying that it's impossible for thin people to gain weight, they are saying it's very difficult for some.
Reply 37
Original post by EffieFlowers
...no one said that..

No one is saying that it's impossible for thin people to gain weight, they are saying it's very difficult for some.

The person who I originally quoted said exactly that.
Original post by rlw31
The person who I originally quoted said exactly that.

Do you really think she meant that? Or do you think you're being a bit over literal?

And if you going to so literal then people with thyroid problems can find it near impossible to gain weight, there's one example. Happy? :tongue:
Reply 39
Original post by Wilfred Little

Gaining weight IS harder than losing it.

Depends entirely on the person.

Quick Reply