The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Freshers 2012

Scroll to see replies

hi, i'm quite a lot older than all of you but i have an unconditional to study extended science in September, i already live in Plymouth and have done for most of my life....i'm only 26 but that seems ancient compared to 18 haha.
I have my own house thankfully so no need to look for accommodation but wish you all luck with your search, to be honest you cant go wrong with most of the places near the centre of town, especially if you want to enjoy the nightlife :-)
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by carriesouthcott
hi, i'm quite a lot older than all of you but i have an unconditional to study extended science in September, i already live in Plymouth and have done for most of my life....i'm only 26 but that seems ancient compared to 18 haha.
I have my own house thankfully so no need to look for accommodation but wish you all luck with your search, to be honest you cant go wrong with most of the places near the centre of town, especially if you want to enjoy the nightlife :-)

Congratulations on the unconditional offer! :smile: Since you live in Plymouth, is there any insight into any of the best places to find accommodation, such as the best areas to be? Also, what about the nightlife, for instance what clubs or bars do you recommend for students? :smile:
if you are looking for student acc. outside of halls then North Hill is densely populated with students, there are some letting agents that just deal with student lettings. I live quite far out, 15 min drive but there are regular buses into town. to be honest the public transport is generally very good and anywhere within a 20min drive from the uni is accessible by bus, usually between 10-15 min intervals, I'm not much into nightclubs these days and stick to mainly pubs and bars, there are loads of pubs and bars along Mutley Plain (which is a 2min walk from North Hill if you chose to live there) and there is Union Rooms and Walkabout in the city centre which are always possible. I've also heard this week that they are opening up a new nightclub in the centre of town, it sounds like its going to be good! I'm not a huge fan of Oceana but thats mainly because i'm old enough to remember the Club that was there before it and nothing will compare, however its always full to the brim with students so i assume they enjoy it!
Reply 23
Original post by carriesouthcott
if you are looking for student acc. outside of halls then North Hill is densely populated with students, there are some letting agents that just deal with student lettings. I live quite far out, 15 min drive but there are regular buses into town. to be honest the public transport is generally very good and anywhere within a 20min drive from the uni is accessible by bus, usually between 10-15 min intervals, I'm not much into nightclubs these days and stick to mainly pubs and bars, there are loads of pubs and bars along Mutley Plain (which is a 2min walk from North Hill if you chose to live there) and there is Union Rooms and Walkabout in the city centre which are always possible. I've also heard this week that they are opening up a new nightclub in the centre of town, it sounds like its going to be good! I'm not a huge fan of Oceana but thats mainly because i'm old enough to remember the Club that was there before it and nothing will compare, however its always full to the brim with students so i assume they enjoy it!

Thanks for all the information :smile: At least now I'll have an idea of where to look for a house when I try to look for accommodation, as for the nightlife it sounds good from what I've heard from various people, however can probably safely say I'd prefer sitting down in a pub with a few friends rather than a club...I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it, but it'd be more a once a week/fortnight thing. When I get there I'll probably definitely be checking out the area surrounding it anyway to see what it's like but thank you for the insight it's much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Snape2255
Thank you! :smile: Well when I looked into it, it said something like this (if I remember correctly)...

Student Halls:

Regular room - £80-90pw (per week)
En suite - £100-120pw
Larger en suite - £120-150pw
Studio room - (forgot...but it was more)

Private Housing:

Regular private housing (with approved accommodation) - £60-80pw
Be prepared to pay extra for bills - £5-10pw

Looks like even if you get a top-end private house from approved accommodation and end up paying bills, it'd be the same as a regular student hall room...but you'd get more freedom, larger space (probably) and probably a garden etc to chill out in during summer D: Anyway...if I remember the prices correctly, the private housing seems to appeal so much more D:

As for skype - I'll add you if you don't mind :smile:

yeah i looked at that, but there will be only one chance to go into halls so if i can do that then i will! plus in the summer people will go to the hoe to chill out so no need for a garden. And if you live in private housing you'd have to get transport so halls just seem easier to me ha!
yeah thats fine i dont mind who adds me ha :smile: ill speak to you on there !
Reply 25
Original post by xkloii
yeah i looked at that, but there will be only one chance to go into halls so if i can do that then i will! plus in the summer people will go to the hoe to chill out so no need for a garden. And if you live in private housing you'd have to get transport so halls just seem easier to me ha!
yeah thats fine i dont mind who adds me ha :smile: ill speak to you on there !

I see what you mean :smile: But a house still looks awesome to me...but to be honest, I'll apply for halls anyway and see what happens - I won't be too bothered if I don't get accepted :smile:
Reply 26
Congratulations on your unconditional course. I've accepted my offer for Plymouth and I am desperate to get the grades to get in. Loved it there! Hope the Night lifes good!xoxoxxo
Reply 27
Original post by Kellyxo
Congratulations on your unconditional course. I've accepted my offer for Plymouth and I am desperate to get the grades to get in. Loved it there! Hope the Night lifes good!xoxoxxo

what course you doing ?
congrats on your offer
Reply 28
I'm doing Education Studies. What about you?:-)
Reply 29
Original post by SRounding1
Hey,

I've just accepted my offer to start art Plymouth uni next year, and was hoping to meet some fellow fresher's on here! I've previously lived in Plymouth when I was at university there in 2010, so know the area fairly well and already have friends there. So I'm also happy to answer any questions people considering going down there have :smile:

Sophie.

i am an international student from pakistan so coming to uk would be a great experience..i also got in sunderland and staffordshire..i applied for the 2 year fast track course..if they put me in a foundation course how long would that be untill i start my course?also how is the campus generally like?is it easy to make friends?thats always the problem for international students of what i heard!
Reply 30
Original post by raheel1
i am an international student from pakistan so coming to uk would be a great experience..i also got in sunderland and staffordshire..i applied for the 2 year fast track course..if they put me in a foundation course how long would that be untill i start my course?also how is the campus generally like?is it easy to make friends?thats always the problem for international students of what i heard!

I can't see much problem with making friends, just as long as you're sociable. If you end up doing the foundation course and you're put in one of the university colleges, the same one I am (I'm doing a 2-year foundation, then topping it up in the 3rd year to Bachelor's...it's an optional top-up, an option which I'm intent on taking) then I'll gladly be friends with you. But as long as you're sociable and try to get to know people, go out places with them (to bars, clubs etc) and don't stay inside all the time, I'm sure you'll make friends easily and won't have to worry about anything. It's going to be tough to balance your social life with your study life, however I'm sure you'll find a path which helps you maintain both to a sufficient standard.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and good luck meeting people wherever you choose to go. Like I said though, if it so happens to be that you end up going to the same place I do then feel free to come up and have a chat any time you like. :smile:
Hows the night-life in Plymouth? Is it similar to Portsmouth or London. Or is it on its own level?
I chose Plymouth as my firm to study economics. The City of Plymouth looks beautiful.
Reply 32
Original post by CarlitosWayz12
Hows the night-life in Plymouth? Is it similar to Portsmouth or London. Or is it on its own level?
I chose Plymouth as my firm to study economics. The City of Plymouth looks beautiful.

From what I've heard from friends who have been there or have even lived there the night life is meant to be amazing. I live in Portsmouth and I can say the night life here is pretty good, but a friend who goes to college with me said that the night life in Plymouth is on a whole new level...or perhaps that's because we live in Portsmouth and therefore don't see the appeal to the city. I can't see it being better than London, being the capital after all, but it's still supposed to be pretty awesome. Portsmouth has about 3 main pub/club areas and quite a few "large" clubs - I'm not certain on Plymouth but I think it has 1-2 main areas but a fair few "large" clubs. But don't take my word for it, this is only what I've been told (regarding the Plymouth parts). There is another open day in late June, why not go to it and see for yourself? :smile:
From what I've heard from friends who have been there or have even lived there the night life is meant to be amazing. I live in Portsmouth and I can say the night life here is pretty good, but a friend who goes to college with me said that the night life in Plymouth is on a whole new level...or perhaps that's because we live in Portsmouth and therefore don't see the appeal to the city. I can't see it being better than London, being the capital after all, but it's still supposed to be pretty awesome. Portsmouth has about 3 main pub/club areas and quite a few "large" clubs - I'm not certain on Plymouth but I think it has 1-2 main areas but a fair few "large" clubs. But don't take my word for it, this is only what I've been told (regarding the Plymouth parts). There is another open day in late June, why not go to it and see for yourself? :smile:

Ahh thanks for let know! Yeah i got business open evening thing so I'll see the city then. Yeah I heard good things about plymouth and portsmouth it sound like plymouth is awesome. But then again so is portsmouth. But then I cant really compare cause im from London.

What are you studying down at plymouth uni?
Reply 34
Original post by CarlitosWayz12
Ahh thanks for let know! Yeah i got business open evening thing so I'll see the city then. Yeah I heard good things about plymouth and portsmouth it sound like plymouth is awesome. But then again so is portsmouth. But then I cant really compare cause im from London.

What are you studying down at plymouth uni?

I'm going to be studying a degree in Public Services. It's basically a degree geared towards employment in the Public Services (both Armed Forces and Emergency Services, it's geared more directly to Police if anything though) however it mixes a lot of various subjects together, for instance it would include subjects based on: Psychology, Criminology, Law, Teamwork & Leadership skills, Citizenship & Diversity etc - I'll be doing a 2-year Foundation Degree and then opting to take the 3rd-year top-up to get a Bachelor's Degree (to do the top-up you must either do a Foundation Degree or a HND in the subject).

What about your course? :smile:
Reply 35
Just Got an offer from Plymouth International College in Business And Enterprise Foundation year...Really excited..Hope i get my visa clearance soon..
Reply 36
Original post by Kellyxo
I'm doing Education Studies. What about you?:-)

Awesome!

Going to be studying biomedical sciences
You been to the open day yet ?
Reply 37
Doing Design for Games in September! Really looking forward to it, sharing a house and need a 3rd person. Message me if any of you are interested :smile:
I'm going to be studying a degree in Public Services. It's basically a degree geared towards employment in the Public Services (both Armed Forces and Emergency Services, it's geared more directly to Police if anything though) however it mixes a lot of various subjects together, for instance it would include subjects based on: Psychology, Criminology, Law, Teamwork & Leadership skills, Citizenship & Diversity etc - I'll be doing a 2-year Foundation Degree and then opting to take the 3rd-year top-up to get a Bachelor's Degree (to do the top-up you must either do a Foundation Degree or a HND in the subject).

What about your course? :smile:

Oh sounds awesome! :smile: I'll be studying economics with sandwich year. I know... some long ting xD
Original post by Jewis93
Doing Design for Games in September! Really looking forward to it, sharing a house and need a 3rd person. Message me if any of you are interested :smile:

Sharing a house in the first year? Did you choose to live in a house or are all the rooms at halls filled already??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending