The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1
Just got back from my DofE Silver Expedition. So tired...

How are y'all?

Ooh nice :]

I'm doing mine next weekend. Is it difficult?

I struggled on Bronze with those massive rucksacks! :colondollar:
Reply 2001
Original post by x-Sophie-x

i did bronze but wimped out before silver :tongue:
Reply 2002
Original post by Caz.123
What do you mean you know whats coming? I have no idea what to expect

The first four questions are always the same each year, and the last two questions want you to demonstrate the same skills each year.
Reply 2003
Original post by Cubic
The first four questions are always the same each year, and the last two questions want you to demonstrate the same skills each year.

Which syllabus are you doing? We're doing the new AQA so our teachers aren't quite sure how it will be
Reply 2004
Original post by Caz.123
Which syllabus are you doing? We're doing the new AQA so our teachers aren't quite sure how it will be

We're doing AQA but it's not new (to my knowledge).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2005
Original post by Caz.123

Hello. I did the paper in Jan and I posted many questions on this thread, which could be useful:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35618531#post35618531

Best of luck
For the AQA new English specification, our teacher has been teaching us a host of writing and reading skills.. but I read on the AQA website a few months ago that the questions are always the same:

Question 1: retrieving information from a piece of text
Question 2: analysing presentational features
Question 3: analysing the feelings/meaning of a text
Question 4: comparing/contrasting two texts

Question 5: writing to inform/describe/explain (although the question could ask you to do both)
Question 6: writing to persuade/argue

This is what I've gleaned from the specification and the AQA website; hope it helps!

It is more hard than bronze and the rucksacks are heavier :frown: But it's a great experience and really fun :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by Cubic
Hey, I'm new.

How was it?

Hey! Welcome! :biggrin:

It was really tiring but it was worth the experience imo.

Original post by blueray
Colleting my award on wednesday :biggrin: Haha yeah you must be feeling sore!

Lol, Nice :smile: Is this your Bronze or Silver award? Because I finished Bronze last year but I still haven't got my award yet (nor has anyone else from my school). Lol yeah, I am sore. I have loads of blisters and my shoulders and back are absolutely aching after carrying that rucksack :tongue:
It is more hard than bronze and the rucksacks are heavier :frown: But it's a great experience and really fun :smile:

Good luck!

Ahh, just great! I struggled in Bronze!
I'm sure it was! (:
In our Bronze expedition, this herd of cows charged at us, and we had to change our route. One girl even had her roll mat stolen by the cow! :lol:
Thanks! XD
Ahh, just great! I struggled in Bronze!
I'm sure it was! (:
In our Bronze expedition, this herd of cows charged at us, and we had to change our route. One girl even had her roll mat stolen by the cow! :lol:
Thanks! XD

:laugh: Lol! We got chased by sheep :tongue:

No problem :wink:
:laugh: Lol! We got chased by sheep :tongue:

No problem :wink:

Haha! But trust me, cows/bulls are much scarier :P

xD
I wish I was with AQA for English Language, but I'm with WJEC :frown:

It is so odd. And we don't know what questions are coming up, and we only get 2 hours to achieve a potential 80 marks and read through two huge chunks of text. :mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2013
Gaaargh, had loads of people over today so I haven't been able to revise. Time to bring out the coffee.. :/
Original post by matty123
I wish I was with AQA for English Language, but I'm with WJEC :frown:

It is so odd. And we don't know what questions are coming up, and we only get 2 hours to achieve a potential 80 marks and read through two huge chunks of text. :mad:

I am also doing WJEC for English Language, and English Literature.

Did both English Language exams last year and have done all the courseworks so I should have an A overall but I don't know grade boundaries for the coursework since it is a new specification!

Got the English Lit exams on 22nd and 24th May. Have you done any exams yet and what are your coursework marks like?
Original post by GreenLantern1
I am also doing WJEC for English Language, and English Literature.

Did both English Language exams last year and have done all the courseworks so I should have an A overall but I don't know grade boundaries for the coursework since it is a new specification!

Got the English Lit exams on 22nd and 24th May. Have you done any exams yet and what are your coursework marks like?

English is my weakest subject. For Language I am currently on a C for my coursework (2 marks of a B), although I am hoping this may rise slightly as my teacher is a harsh marker and my coursework got sent off to the exam board :biggrin:. I am at a B for my speaking and listening. Mock exam grade of a B.

As for Literature (also WJEC), a B on my coursework and a mock exam grade of an A.

Haven't taken any formal exams in English yet.

How are you doing in English Lit/Lang? :smile:

EDIT: Unseen poetry is a b*tch lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by matty123
English is my weakest subject. For Language I am currently on a C for my coursework (2 marks of a B), although I am hoping this may rise slightly as my teacher is a harsh marker and my coursework got sent off to the exam board :biggrin:. I am at a B for my speaking and listening. Mock exam grade of a B.

As for Literature (also WJEC), a B on my coursework and a mock exam grade of an A.

Haven't taken any formal exams in English yet.

How are you doing in English Lit/Lang? :smile:

Our teacher is a really harsh marker as well. Our school are so weird when it comes to coursework marking that oonly 2 people on our whole year will have an A* in English Language. One person got 80/80 in English Language exams and now can only get an A overall due to harsh coursework marking and she is immense in English!

For English Language I have:
Exam 1 - 34/40 (A)
Exam 2 - 34/40 (A)
Speaking and Listening 36/40 (A*)
Spoken Language 16/20 (A) [this was actually like the highest in the year - everyone failed here]
Of Mice and Men Atmosphere - 32/40 (A)
Descriptive Writing - 11/20 (D)
Narrative Writing - 11/20 (D)

So I have an A overall in English Language.

In Literature we did Macbeth and I got 24/40 (C) and somehow failed that.

From yours and my marks I think they won't get moderated but the grade boundaries will be quite low. Hopefully other schools aren't marking generously, unlike ours.
Hey people. I'm new to this thread. Just wondering what you guys talk about on here? I can see that you are currently discussing English, which is my worst subject lmao. -.- I much prefere Maths and sciences :biggrin:
Original post by GreenLantern1
Our teacher is a really harsh marker as well. Our school are so weird when it comes to coursework marking that oonly 2 people on our whole year will have an A* in English Language. One person got 80/80 in English Language exams and now can only get an A overall due to harsh coursework marking and she is immense in English!

For English Language I have:
Exam 1 - 34/40 (A)
Exam 2 - 34/40 (A)
Speaking and Listening 36/40 (A*)
Spoken Language 16/20 (A) [this was actually like the highest in the year - everyone failed here]
Of Mice and Men Atmosphere - 32/40 (A)
Descriptive Writing - 11/20 (D)
Narrative Writing - 11/20 (D)

So I have an A overall in English Language.

In Literature we did Macbeth and I got 24/40 (C) and somehow failed that.

From yours and my marks I think they won't get moderated but the grade boundaries will be quite low. Hopefully other schools aren't marking generously, unlike ours.

Same, I think 3 people in my year achieved an A* for coursework lol. But yes, it is a new spec so hopefully grade boundaries will drop. :smile:
Reply 2019
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Hey people. I'm new to this thread. Just wondering what you guys talk about on here? I can see that you are currently discussing English, which is my worst subject lmao. -.- I much prefere Maths and sciences :biggrin:

Hey, English is my worst subject too. I also prefer maths and science, but biology bores me.