The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

anyone going Roehampton Uni 2012 ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lelleston03
Im in my first year doing criminology single honours, so feel free to ask me anything about the course. I live on southlands which is Known as the friendliest college as its pretty small and so easy to make friends here.

For pubs you've got putney 5 mins on the bus, clubs like oceana in kingston 20 mins away and of course central but a bit costly over half an hour away. Also the uni puts on weekly events which include travel to and from the club for about £5 which is pretty cheap

How is Criminology at Roehampton ? Lecturers and course content etc.. It's my choice of course and Roehampton is my firm choice university, so any inside knowledge would be great :smile:
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 161
Original post by lil.sam30
I've gotten into Roehampton for the primary pgce, had my interview in February.
For the English test we had to correct about 10 statements from Hansel and Gretel (mainly punctuation and grammar) then had to write a 200 word essay on what makes a good teacher (I think, can't actually remember the topic but that rings a bell lol). Don't worry too much about it though, its not as hard as they make it out to be so just relax and enjoy the day and hopefully see you in September :smile: xx

Hey sam lol u already emailed me about adding you onto the facebook group. Definately see you in sept!
Original post by neelab
Hey sam lol u already emailed me about adding you onto the facebook group. Definately see you in sept!

hi neelab...did you have pgce interview too....how was it?
Reply 163
Original post by neelab

yep am in the group :smile: can't wait to see everyone in sept and start the course :smile:

Original post by Teach-smile
lil.sam30
thanks lil.sam30 but you unsure about the written test =( lol im confused now.Weldone for getting a place. Hope it all goes well for us =)

yeah sorry can't fully remember what the essay was about. good luck with your interview though and hopefully see you in september x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by MiniMinette
Thankyou, I would love to know what the unis like :smile: I live in Norway, but I´ve been to british and international/english-speaking schools all my life, so my goal has always been to study in England.

I´m considering SGULs for post-grad but its going to be a challenge to get in.

Welcome :smile: aw that sounds great! :smile: I'm hoping to get into SGUL this year round, if not then Roehampton is always good enough! :smile:

Living/studying here is amazing, especially London, it's such a lovely city, there's always something going on around, always busy, no matter what time of the day. And people, while we may not be overly friendly, are always helpful :biggrin:
Reply 165
hi neelab...did you have pgce interview too....how was it?

Hi Teach-smile

Interview was basic to be honest and u will be fine. its basically on ur experience u have. my friend had interview too and hers was personalised to hers and mine to my experience. english essay what on how children learn. we were told 200 words but were offered extra paper if needed. grammar and punctuation checks on children's story. my friend in november had little red riding hood, i had hansel and gretel in feb, and my other friend had cinderella i think. she had hers in feb so as u can see they change the story so no cheating can be done.

let me know if u would like more help
You can apply for accommodation from the 1st April, but you need a student number. When do you get this?
Thankkkks :}
Original post by Validation1
How is Criminology at Roehampton ? Lecturers and course content etc.. It's my choice of course and Roehampton is my firm choice university, so any inside knowledge would be great :smile:

I think the course content is great, very varied and interesting. What I thought it would be and more, however there were two modules I didn't enjoy due to them not being criminology :tongue:. The lecturers are very knowledgeable and helpful and a few very well known for their research. Any other questions feel free to message me
Reply 168
Original post by Benjaminwitc
You can apply for accommodation from the 1st April, but you need a student number. When do you get this?
Thankkkks :}

According to an email they sent me:

'If you are holding a FIRM offer for 2012 entry (either conditional or unconditional) then you will be informed about how to apply for residence in College accommodation by the Accommodation office in due course.'

...I'm still waiting too :confused:
I applied yesterday for accommodation.. the student number was at the top of an e-mail they sent me when they gave me my offer, If you have kept that, then I assume yours would be there too ?
I'm not going to Roehampton in 2012... but I did graduate from there in 2002! I did Business Studies with Sociology. I'll be interested to hear how it is now once you've all started.
Original post by Captain Jack
I'm not going to Roehampton in 2012... but I did graduate from there in 2002! I did Business Studies with Sociology. I'll be interested to hear how it is now once you've all started.

I graduated last year. I've been shocked at how much it's changed in the 3 years I was there, let alone since 2002!
Did you have Frigby?
The student union and main bar is now in Froebel, it's a lovely bar now, but my era loved the Belfry in Digby which is now a teaching hall.
The Southlands pond has been filled in.
Digby has a lovely accommodation block called Lee House which wasn't there when you were there I don't think.
Last year behind the Digby canteen there's now a courtyard, which is a lot better than the building site it used to be, but it's very...concreted!
In the last year a Santander bank has opened on Digby.
Turners Bookshop doesn't exist anymore, but there's a Waterstones which opens for a few months every year.
Brenda and Tracey's has gone :frown:

Do you know what I'm even talking about lol?
hi can anyone provide info on how we apply for pgce accomodation....is it first come first basis?
and are there only 42 spaces/rooms? :-/
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
I graduated last year. I've been shocked at how much it's changed in the 3 years I was there, let alone since 2002!
Did you have Frigby?
The student union and main bar is now in Froebel, it's a lovely bar now, but my era loved the Belfry in Digby which is now a teaching hall.
The Southlands pond has been filled in.
Digby has a lovely accommodation block called Lee House which wasn't there when you were there I don't think.
Last year behind the Digby canteen there's now a courtyard, which is a lot better than the building site it used to be, but it's very...concreted!
In the last year a Santander bank has opened on Digby.
Turners Bookshop doesn't exist anymore, but there's a Waterstones which opens for a few months every year.
Brenda and Tracey's has gone :frown:

Do you know what I'm even talking about lol?

Haha, I know some of what you're talking about! I can't believe the Southlands pond has been filled in, although it was always empty when I was there. I think a group of students once put someone's car in it.

It all sounds very different now with the changes in book shops, new accommodation and court yard etc.

Not sure what or who Frigby is so probably not :biggrin:

Is there still a weekly night out? It used to be on Tuesdays for us at Ponana in Hammersmith (well, in the first year it was a place called Liquid in Wandsworth but people kept being shot outside).

I always thought the biggest con was the picture of deer on campus. Not once did I ever see a deer.
Original post by Captain Jack
Haha, I know some of what you're talking about! I can't believe the Southlands pond has been filled in, although it was always empty when I was there. I think a group of students once put someone's car in it.

It all sounds very different now with the changes in book shops, new accommodation and court yard etc.

Not sure what or who Frigby is so probably not :biggrin:

Is there still a weekly night out? It used to be on Tuesdays for us at Ponana in Hammersmith (well, in the first year it was a place called Liquid in Wandsworth but people kept being shot outside).

I always thought the biggest con was the picture of deer on campus. Not once did I ever see a deer.

Frigby is the yearly footy match between Digby and Froebel at a football ground off campus, the main part of which is a massive waterfight beforehand :smile: My favourite event of the year. Then there's ****elands between Whitelands and Southlands and Frugby, between football and rugby. Oh and the Whitelands May Day which has been around for decades.

Never seen a deer in the Roe marketing recently lol, although obviously Richmond park is next door. The geese, ducks and squirrels are what roam around the campus most.

We have the Bop on a friday evening in Froebel, and Fez in Putney on a wednesday. And the Grand in Clapham every month. Then there's smaller events on campus such as acoustic night, bands night on a thursday etc. There used to be 'college night' but since the college bars went there's no point in celebrating the collegiality anymore.

Has changed a lot then!
... Who went to the talks last week and this week?

Me.
hey guys can you tell me.....can our school placements be from our local ends (i.e berkshire, uxbridge, windsor, maidenhead, slough etc)
or do they have to be local to roehampton?

im trying to work out if theres any point living out....hmmmmmm
because iv heard its mostly school experience and not lectures...right?

waiting for replies =))))
Original post by Hennnaa
Welcome :smile: aw that sounds great! :smile: I'm hoping to get into SGUL this year round, if not then Roehampton is always good enough! :smile:

Living/studying here is amazing, especially London, it's such a lovely city, there's always something going on around, always busy, no matter what time of the day. And people, while we may not be overly friendly, are always helpful :biggrin:

Have you gone for the open day yet? If so, how was it?:smile: I accepted my offer, so I'm officially going to Roehampton next year:biggrin:
Reply 178
hey guys can you tell me.....can our school placements be from our local ends (i.e berkshire, uxbridge, windsor, maidenhead, slough etc)
or do they have to be local to roehampton?

im trying to work out if theres any point living out....hmmmmmm
because iv heard its mostly school experience and not lectures...right?

waiting for replies =))))

Hi teach-smile

if u mean the 2 week placement prior to starting in sept then i think that can be in any area - u can email to confirm

also in regards to ur 2nd question, we were told hopefully following will be of some help

PGCE Primary (full-time) course structure
http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/uploadedFiles/Pages_Assets/PDFs_and_Word_Docs/Applying/PGCE-Primary-full-time-course-structure.pdf
Reply 179
Original post by MiniMinette
Have you gone for the open day yet? If so, how was it?:smile: I accepted my offer, so I'm officially going to Roehampton next year:biggrin:

Yep I went to the open day :smile: It was really good, they told us a bit about the department and then we had an informal little introduction on what the course is going to be like, which was pretty useful, as I wanted to compare it with SGUL (I prefer SGUL cause they get to do dissection, whereas I don't think they do it at Roehampton) afterwards, we had a tour of the campus (accommodation on whitelands is pretty good!) :biggrin: and the labs, then we were sort of free to have a look around :smile: I walked down to main campus with my friend, had a look around :smile: The grounds are really beautiful, there's a pond and everything :smile: I'm pretty sure you'll love it there! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest