The Student Room Group

Is 40 too old to become a Building Surveyor?

Hi,

I am 40 years old and have been in construction for 20 years. I am a qualified Carpenter and have experience in most trades. I have run my own business and also worked as a Foreman.

I have been accepted on a Building Surveying Degree course. This is where my passion lies but I am worried that I might be too old. I know that if I chose to do Construction Management I would probably stand a fair chance of getting into Site Management.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Alan
a dream is a dream sir, and only the youngest will remind you that. :wink: Roger Milla didn't think 42 was too young to play in the FIFA 1994 World Cup either!
Reply 2
My advice is that age is just a number. I don't have personal experience of people going into this career but I do of people going into Medicine in their late 30s/early 40s. If you are passionate and have the degree course in place then 100%. Universities have fantastic postgraduate societies which you can also be involved with or for support.

All the best.
Original post by Alan Mcc
Hi,

I am 40 years old and have been in construction for 20 years. I am a qualified Carpenter and have experience in most trades. I have run my own business and also worked as a Foreman.

I have been accepted on a Building Surveying Degree course. This is where my passion lies but I am worried that I might be too old. I know that if I chose to do Construction Management I would probably stand a fair chance of getting into Site Management.

Thanks
Alan

Hi,

First of all congratulations on being accepted on to a Building Surveying Degree.I dont think 40 is too old as you have alot of experience in the construction industry which will only help you complete your degree and will probably give you better career prospects with your past experience.I'm 29 and have also been accepted onto a Building Surveying Degree at Nottingham Trent,I have around 10 years experience in the construction industry as a painter and decorator and 2 years as foreman.which universities have you applied to?
Reply 4
Were a few mature students on my course, I don't think its too old at all. You have a lot of industry specific experience which gives you a great insight into the industry. The only thing is that if you run / have run your own business then coming out of uni should you get a job (its tough that part) then you might be on substantially less money than before. So I guess this is something you need to consider if you can live with until you work your way up to a more senior position.
Im currently on building surveying at UWE and we have a few older students on the course (late 20's/early 30's) etc. I dont think its too late.

I also know someone who trained to be a quantity surveyor around aged 40.

:smile:
i started my HNC at 40 ( two years part time at night ) . im now starting my BSc (hons) degree and will have it done in 3 years. I too was a joiner and i've had my own business. i'm currently employed as a contract manager/ site manager. its not what i want to do. my passion lies in building surveying. as long as I can remain employed in some capacity until i gain my degree i can worry about age later. I also know that if i had done this earlier i would have probably struggled, 25 years of experience has got me this far.
Original post by Alan Mcc
Hi,

Thanks
Alan

Hi Alan I to am closing in on 40 and have just been accepted on a building surveyor degree,I was wondering how you got on with course and how you found it gettinga job afterwards?

Many thanks

DAVE
Definitely not mate and your construction background will be an advantage.

As long as you stick in and get good/decent grades, the worlds your oyster.
Hi I am 40 and also interested in becoming a building surveyor, just wondering how you got on as this is 7 years old?
Hi Dave how are you getting on I am in same position?
Original post by Dave26761970
Hi Alan I to am closing in on 40 and have just been accepted on a building surveyor degree,I was wondering how you got on with course and how you found it gettinga job afterwards?

Many thanks

DAVE
Reply 11
Hi I'm soon to be 40 I just started a building surveyor course. Just wondering how any of you got on?
Keen to know how you all got on, 2 modules off completing the MSc and now facing the very real prospect of applying for jobs and taking a significant pay cut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending