The Student Room Group

Can you get into University with 2 A-levels and 2 AS levels

I started Y12 with 4 A-levels, I hated one of them so I dropped it. 2 of the 3 AS-levels I'm studying now are great and I'm doing good in them. However, I hate the other one right now, the exam board mess the students around too much and the teachers are useless. I can probably pull a C in this AS level and I was wondering if I could enter Year 13 with just the 2 good A-levels, and pick up a new AS.
So when I leave Y13 I will have 2 full A2 levels and 2 AS levels.

If I do this will I still be able to get into Uni?

Should I just stay with the 3 full A2 levels?

Any advice would help me, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check the entrance criteria for the universities you are thinking of applying for. The Birmingham city computer science page for example, says "Minimum of two 6-unit or one 12-unit A-Level (GCE or VCE)". Which means that 2 A-levels would be acceptable. But other likes warwick say: "A level: AAA" Which means you need 3 As at A-levels.

It all depends on the university, with the better ones requiring 3 A-levels
Its perfectly possible, many uni's accept 2 A levels with 2 AS's. Tbh it depends on the universities you're applying to, maybe check their entry requirements.

In my experience most mediocre universities accept a minimum of 2 full A levels while the top (Russell Group) universities require 3 full A levels.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Many unis that ask for UCAS points rather than grades will accept 2A2s and 2ASs.
The "better" universities will want you to have three A levels. However, it's certainly possible to get into uni with two A levels and two AS levels. There's also nothing really wrong with you taking an extra year at sixth form though so you end up with something like three A levels and a few more AS levels. I did that and I've had offers from some good universities - they've never looked down on my application because of it.
Reply 5
wat do you want to study at uni
Reply 6
Yes you can, I have done. Check the requirements before replying though and email them to double check so you don't get a rejection for not having 3 A2's.

PM me for further advice.

Edit: Please explain why this was negged?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm in the same boat. Currently studying my AS levels in bio chem and english, hoping to go to Aberystwyth uni to study genetics or microbiology. Don't think I could handle A level chemistry, so i was thinking of maybe having my AS level and then studying an AS in geography? In the prospectus they ask for 260 points to 320 so I get the impression it wouldn't matter?
Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 8
I have 70 ucas points and need 160points im doing 2 A levels and i need a C in chemistry .. so thats really 90 points right? they still count as UCAS points even though i dropped them at AS ? my dad has freaked me out saying that they dont ! help! x
Original post by Bshlew
I have 70 ucas points and need 160points im doing 2 A levels and i need a C in chemistry .. so thats really 90 points right? they still count as UCAS points even though i dropped them at AS ? my dad has freaked me out saying that they dont ! help! x

As and A2 are counted to most universities, unless otherwise stated.

A2 - A = 120points AS - A = 60points
A2 - B = 100points AS - B = 50points
A2 - C = 80points AS - C = 40points
A2 - D = 60points AS - D = 30points
A2 - E = 40points AS - E = 20points

So just add up the points depending on the entry requirement.
Original post by Scottielee1991
As and A2 are counted to most universities, unless otherwise stated.

A2 - A = 120points AS - A = 60points
A2 - B = 100points AS - B = 50points
A2 - C = 80points AS - C = 40points
A2 - D = 60points AS - D = 30points
A2 - E = 40points AS - E = 20points

So just add up the points depending on the entry requirement.

Original post by Bshlew

Wrong way round. For most it's going to only count A2s unless otherwise stated.
Original post by agoetcherian
Wrong way round. For most it's going to only count A2s unless otherwise stated.

It goes by tariff points for most universities.
Original post by Scottielee1991
It goes by tariff points for most universities.

The majority will specify tariff points from 3 a-levels. E.g. 300 from 3 a-level, so BBB, or ABC, or A*CC.
I went to Uni last year with 2 A levels and 2 As levels.
I fell asleep in my psych exam and decided to drop it in AS.
At a2 i picked up photography AS.

Some uni's accept them, some don't.
its best to call up Uni's your interested in now before making the deicison to see if they consider you when you eventually come around to applying.
Dont trust UCAS either with this, i applied to Derby Uni last year after UCAS told me they accept AS grades, however when i recieved an offer they refused to accept my AS or even acknowledge them. Luckily they only wanted 180 points, and i didnt go anyway :tongue:

If i was you i would keep with the subject, full a levels are more respected and it can make it a struggle to certain Unis.
Although last year i was in luck, and Portsmouth, even after saying they didnt take AS grades stil considered them, and i was only rejected by Southampton Solent for holding 2 a levels only out of 5 choices.
This year, i was rejected by Plymouth and Coventry Uni because they wouldn't take my AS grades into consideration.

However, i got into Uni this year (2011 entry) with 2 A LEVELS AND 2 AS's, and have recieved 3 offers from Unis this year to also go onto courses with my grades.
Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by natalieann1993
I went to Uni last year with 2 A levels and 2 As levels.
I fell asleep in my psych exam and decided to drop it in AS.
At a2 i picked up photography AS.

Some uni's accept them, some don't.
its best to call up Uni's your interested in now before making the deicison to see if they consider you when you eventually come around to applying.
Dont trust UCAS either with this, i applied to Derby Uni last year after UCAS told me they accept AS grades, however when i recieved an offer they refused to accept my AS or even acknowledge them. Luckily they only wanted 180 points, and i didnt go anyway :tongue:

If i was you i would keep with the subject, full a levels are more respected and it can make it a struggle to certain Unis.
Although last year i was in luck, and Portsmouth, even after saying they didnt take AS grades stil considered them, and i was only rejected by Southampton Solent for holding 2 a levels only out of 5 choices.
This year, i was rejected by Plymouth and Coventry Uni because they wouldn't take my AS grades into consideration.

However, i got into Uni this year (2011 entry) with 2 A LEVELS AND 2 AS's, and have recieved 3 offers from Unis this year to also go onto courses with my grades.
Hope this helped :smile:

How are/ Did you find photography? I just finished my unit 2 like a day before the deadline :biggrin:
Reply 15
Hey
Im doing Chemistry A2 and Computing A2, and i had failed my economic and Maths As, so i have picked up business As Level and Socail Science AS Level, i really want to go to a good uni, would my option do a A2 in a evening class, or to do a gap year and get expirence and do the Business AS to A2, i want to do computer science and business studies, and i dont want to mess this up! can anyone pls help ??
I'm currently doing 3 AS subjects - psychology, sociology and english lit/lang (combined). I also took biology but i dropped that after christmas due to failing.
Now I'm not sure if I am going to be able to cope with A2 english lit/lang cos i already struggle with it alot for AS and have grown to hate the subject. Do i drop it next year and pick up another AS in health and social care, leaving me with 2 A levels and 2 AS? I want to go to university to study psychology or nursing but i don't know which unis, if any, will accept me with only 2 a levels and 2 AS grades?
Or is it better to have 2 really good A levels but 1 bad A level and no AS subjects? :confused::confused::confused:
I will also (hopefully) finish college with an A level in General Studies and an AQA extended project (equivalent to another AS)
I really don't know what to do! HELP
Original post by brwoodfordx
I'm currently doing 3 AS subjects - psychology, sociology and english lit/lang (combined). I also took biology but i dropped that after christmas due to failing.
Now I'm not sure if I am going to be able to cope with A2 english lit/lang cos i already struggle with it alot for AS and have grown to hate the subject. Do i drop it next year and pick up another AS in health and social care, leaving me with 2 A levels and 2 AS? I want to go to university to study psychology or nursing but i don't know which unis, if any, will accept me with only 2 a levels and 2 AS grades?
Or is it better to have 2 really good A levels but 1 bad A level and no AS subjects? :confused::confused::confused:
I will also (hopefully) finish college with an A level in General Studies and an AQA extended project (equivalent to another AS)
I really don't know what to do! HELP

Nursing doesn't count general studies, sorry I can't help with the other questions.
This is a really old thread...
Hi guys
Please help! I have just got my AS level results - total disaster - Physics C, PE C, Biology E, Maths E!! I was always going to drop Biology but the Maths paper was a nightmare as we hadn't done some of the syllabus in it. So others got e's and U's aswell! Granted I wouldnt have got a B but it was really annoying. Was predicted BBBC. School say I can do physics and PE, drop Biology (fine) but say I have to do AS level Maths now! Or perhaps add another AS subject at a push but NOT do A'level Maths. I don't think I can get into a good uni with 2 A'levels and 1AS (especially as one is PE). Am I right? They say it's ok as it looks like my EPQ on a physics subject is really good so that's an extra AS level equivalent but is it? Do I push to do that Maths retake and ALevel? Any help really appreciated! Thanks

Latest