The Student Room Group

Exam errors AGAIN...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It seems like it's got to the point where there is a two-tier exam results system. If you can afford the remark then you may get a better mark than someone who can't.
if ur applying to uni this year, we get results in august and on the same day we get a response from unis saying wether we got in or not. so is it not possible to remark the results we get in august?
Reply 42
Original post by goku12345
if ur applying to uni this year, we get results in august and on the same day we get a response from unis saying wether we got in or not. so is it not possible to remark the results we get in august?

It's possible but unless the university agrees to hold your place until you get the remark and let you in if the remark gives you the required grade, the likelihood is you'll lose your place anyway. It happened to so many of my friends last year..
this is ridicolous, I'm on OCR for Chemistry and worried now haha :/
Exam boards need to be regulated, everyone makes a mistake, including examiners, but people's papers have been known to go up by four grades.
Also, why don't they release the mark schemes at the same time they release results? At least then once people have paid £12 to get their paper back (an admin fee, apparently) they can then see the 'mistakes' that could cost them a future in their chosen careers, rather than paying anywhere up to £112 to have a remark by the same incompetent exam board! :s-smilie:
Reply 45
I'd be willing to pay the examiner £50 for 30min to mark my paper, so the grade i get is fair :/.
You should have 2 Examiners marking each paper to make sure that one of them doesn't cock it up!
This happened to my school's Geography GCSE papers last year... Over 30 top students who were predicted A* grades managed to get Cs and Ds so the teachers investigated and paid for every single script to get remarked. After the remark, the majority were moved up to As and A*s and only 1 person got a C.

A disgrace.
Reply 47
Original post by Ch1pp0
Sorry but remarks help a lot in the sciences. My physics GCSE (AQA) was 88% when I got it. Not to sound arrogant but I kind of thought I had got an A* so I requested a remark.

I then went up to 100%. According to the exam board, "They may have missed a page." while marking my results the first time.

So until the system improves Maths/Sciences need remarks just like other subjects.

Lol I said better double checking by examiners so no one needs to remark! :smile:
The errors are just a joke, surely adding up marks should be calculated by a computer?! How hard is that?
It just makes you have no faith in the system, especially when you work hard for exams then some marker could just add up your scores wrong at the final hurdle.
Reply 49
I thought if your marks changed then you got a refund? That way everyone can afford it if they really think their marks are unfair.
Reply 50
Original post by GdotL
I thought if your marks changed then you got a refund? That way everyone can afford it if they really think their marks are unfair.

No you only get a refund if your grade changes (sucks I know).
Reply 51
Original post by AK0001
No you only get a refund if your grade changes (sucks I know).

Sorry yeah that's what I meant but I wasn't sure if it was the grade for the module or your overall grade.
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Heh, the OCR headquaters is about a 10 minute walk from my sixth form :biggrin:

LOL get down there now!
Reply 53
OCR....
surprise surprise, they cost me my uni place last year :cry:
Reply 54
Original post by GdotL
Sorry yeah that's what I meant but I wasn't sure if it was the grade for the module or your overall grade.

It's for the module. I personally think any change in the original mark merits a refund.
Reply 55
I can excuse the odd mark missed with essay questions but In my AS Chemistry exam the examiner marked my '76% yield' wrong which was on the dotted line. How is it possible to mark a number wrong, it takes NO JUDGEMENT AT ALL? Cant get more objective than that.

Maybe the government made a deal with exam boards like OCR last year so that a lot of people fail and have to pay the increased tuition fee. Wouldn't surprise me.
I have this feeling we may see some of the comments on TSR about this topic in the newspapers in the next few days.
Reply 57
Exams these days are like intelligence tests. They don't test you on your knowledge about the topics. instead they chuck in random questions about hedgehogs!!!! (June 2011 f215 paper).
Seriously, if you wanted to see how clever we were why not make students do an IQ test instead!!

I have a major problem with OCR (as you can obviously tell).
Original post by stanlas
Private schools can afford more re-marks. Virtually every person who 'underperforms' in our school is offered a re-mark, and most get their marks bumped up (like the pupil mentioned in the televised report, who got about 25% extra in his English).

Don't the students have to pay for their own re-mark?
Reply 59
Two years ago on when I did GCSE History one of my friends who was predicted an A* came out with a D, our school had the paper re-marked and it came back as a B - he had been awarded 17 extra marks. Our school then sent off all our GCSE History papers and everyone wet up by at least 1 mark if not more. How can 17 marks be missed on a paper?

Quick Reply