The Student Room Group

At 20 - Running away from Home to be successful.

Hey guys,

Again another failed year at age 20 and i still cant get into University. i cant afford to do another year of access course at home

my family are dissapointed in me and to be honest i think its because i am in this environment.

I know its weird - but i come from a fairly wealthy middle class family. i am getting older and older and i can't seem to do anything productive at all.

Ive been trying to go to College for the last 4 years and now i lasted this long in this course 'access course' to end up failing it at the end!

I need to get away from home to actually be able to accomplish anything? Its because there is so much success around me and i think my mind is always to comfortable?

4 years of failing and i am fairly bright guy (Teachers told me..I don't feel it though)

I think it is the answer..
My friend will take me in a few weeks. my question is i stay in Nottingham and its pretty small compared to other cities..If i was to go to london and see if my cousin is still living there....

If i can stranded in london...There is a College place i was thinking of going to there...what if i get homeless? and i stay at a hostel - would i still be able to go full time in college?
Reply 1
No, I don't think you should run away. The only reason to do it, imo, is if you are suffering abuse or something like that. And I also think that you will have a much greater chance of 'succeeding' if you have a secure set up at home. I know there is the romantic image of Dick Whittington types and American immigrants building up a fortune from having slept on the streets, with 3 dollars in their pocket, but that is mostly just an image.
Reply 2
Original post by geetar
No, I don't think you should run away. The only reason to do it, imo, is if you are suffering abuse or something like that. And I also think that you will have a much greater chance of 'succeeding' if you have a secure set up at home. I know there is the romantic image of Dick Whittington types and American immigrants building up a fortune from having slept on the streets, with 3 dollars in their pocket, but that is mostly just an image.

I understand - but when i am out of the house.. I feel like i can take over the world.. I am more productive...I Keep failing at home and i think its something to do with being ' Too comfy ' - I have tried numerous times.. 4 years of doing nothing and this is crazy.. I had aspirations of taking over the world... but it just seems so far from reality as i keep getting reminded i am getting to old...I don't know what else to actually do...I get discouraged at home the fact that i am 20 and not at University is a big let down for my entire family.

If i study or do something away from home.. Don't you think i would have a better chance of accomplishing something?
Reply 3
Sounds to me like you're blaming everything but yourself for your lack of productivity.
Original post by Anonymous
I understand - but when i am out of the house.. I feel like i can take over the world.. I am more productive...I Keep failing at home and i think its something to do with being ' Too comfy ' - I have tried numerous times.. 4 years of doing nothing and this is crazy.. I had aspirations of taking over the world... but it just seems so far from reality as i keep getting reminded i am getting to old...I don't know what else to actually do...I get discouraged at home the fact that i am 20 and not at University is a big let down for my entire family.

If i study or do something away from home.. Don't you think i would have a better chance of accomplishing something?

There's a very big difference between leaving home/ moving out (which sounds like it may be very helpful for you), and running away! Is there a reason you simply can't just move out? Your parents may be able to help you get set up elsewhere and make the whole transition a bit smoother...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Shame sounds like your under a lot of pressure from both your family and yourself. I understand what you mean about being too comfy, maybe its a psychological thing, you feel secure, your parents are wealthy so do you really need to do anything, when you've got most of what you need right now? If you left home it would give you a chance to grow and "find yourself". I think it's a good idea to establish some connections, make sure you have a back up plan if you can't get a house, some hostiles can be really nasty. If you're leaving home don't totally cut yourself out, you may find you'll be relying heavily on your parents to get you out of some mess. If it feels like the right thing to do go for it, if your having some doubts, well 20's not that old to still be trying to get into uni's.

Quick Reply

Latest