The Student Room Group

I had a BMI of 15.5

I was 15 years old that time. My height was 5'8 and still is. I'm 20 years and weigh 165 lbs now.

Would I have a shrunken/damaged:

-heart
-brain
-liver
-lungs
-kidney
-endocrinal/hormonal system
-bones
-penis and testicles (I don't know if it's caused by the damaged hormonal system or a simple blood flow problem. But when I was at my lowest weight, they literally shrank and looked like having only skins left. After I took a rest, they became a little better, but I'm getting the idea that my body had eaten the "tissues" due to starvation)

I've never had a medical diagnosis, so..
So... it's probably best for you to discuss this with your doctor. Explain your worries to them and they can give a qualified individual medical opinion on your issue.

We won't know how it has affected you. Everyone is different so whilst it may affect some people it may not affect others.
Reply 2
Original post by Mini-Cooper
So... it's probably best for you to discuss this with your doctor. Explain your worries to them and they can give a qualified individual medical opinion on your issue.

We won't know how it has affected you. Everyone is different so whilst it may affect some people it may not affect others.

It's some valid logic, but I'm sure when you're at a really low BMI, even a tiny difference of weight would make a big impact.

Here's my logic:

If a guy with a BMI of 17 dies, most likely I, who have a BMI of 15.5, won't survive life without at least having some long-term damages.

If a guy with a BMI of 14 has been diagnosed to be fully healthy, I will also have greater chances to not have any serious damages.
I have had that BMI also. And my bloods, ECG and other tests have come back fine..clearly I am no longer that BMI.

I get the impression it is a very person to person basis as to the effects and there is not hard and fast rule. However, I was worried and the answer I got was " the body is more resillient than you think, chill out "
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
It's some valid logic, but I'm sure when you're at a really low BMI, even a tiny difference of weight would make a big impact.

Here's my logic:

If a guy with a BMI of 17 dies, most likely I, who have a BMI of 15.5, won't survive life without at least having some long-term damages.

If a guy with a BMI of 14 has been diagnosed to be fully healthy, I will also have greater chances to not have any serious damages.

And there will be people in both of those categories. But they may have underlying conditions that also affect them.

Just because one person with a higher BMI does have problems it has no effect on whether someone with a lower BMI will also have problems. And just because someone with a lower BMI is fine, it does not mean that someone with a higher BMI will not be affected.

Bodies are different and will not react in the same ways.

The only way you can be sure is to go and talk to your GP. Discuss your concerns and if necessary they will do any relevant tests.
Reply 5
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
I have had that BMI also. And my bloods, ECG and other tests have come back fine..clearly I am no longer that BMI.

I get the impression it is a very person to person basis as to the effects and there is not hard and fast rule. However, I was worried and the answer I got was " the body is more resillient than you think, chill out "

Did you still have your periods at that BMI?

Original post by Mini-Cooper
And there will be people in both of those categories. But they may have underlying conditions that also affect them.

Just because one person with a higher BMI does have problems it has no effect on whether someone with a lower BMI will also have problems. And just because someone with a lower BMI is fine, it does not mean that someone with a higher BMI will not be affected.

Bodies are different and will not react in the same ways.

The only way you can be sure is to go and talk to your GP. Discuss your concerns and if necessary they will do any relevant tests.

You were just repeating your previous post..

Anyway, if it turns out that my testosterone level is low, is it possible to make it to rise to its previous level pre-anorexia without undergoing hormone replacement therapy?

Original post by Kennedy7697
My bmi is 36.9 :L

Sorry for that.
Original post by Anonymous
Did you still have your periods at that BMI?

You were just repeating your previous post..

Anyway, if it turns out that my testosterone level is low, is it possible to make it to rise to its previous level pre-anorexia without undergoing hormone replacement therapy?

Sorry for that.

I lost my periods around BMI 16.8. I know thats specific, lol, I just calculated it.

At the moment Im BMI 17....and they are not that regular or normal.
bumping the thread
Reply 8
Did you have an eating disorder when your BMI was that low, or were you just growing fast?

It's not uncommon for teenagers, especially boys, to grow taller much faster than they gain weight, so having a BMI like that might not be a problem if you were in the middle of a growth spurt. BMI is mostly useful for fully grown adults.

If you had an eating disorder at the time, then it's impossible to comment and it's advisable that you talk to your GP about it.
If you're really worried then go to your GP. But the body is surprisingly resilient, also BMI is a poor indicator of actual weight to height/structure. e.g my BMI is about 16.4 I'm female, weigh about 7st and am 5'6". I AM underweight at the moment, I know this, I am putting weight on (or attempting to at least, just to clarify I don't have an eating disorder). However for my height, according to my BMI I should weight about 9st 4lbs which is HUGE! If I weighed 9st 4lbs I'd look and feel overweight. At 8st-8st 5lbs where my BMI is about 17-19 I am comfortable and I am also at a weight which my doctor agrees is sensible, but according to BMI's I'm still underweight. You need to factor in your build too.

Take BMI's with a pinch of salt, but please consult with your GP if you're really worried.
Original post by SuperCat007
If you're really worried then go to your GP. But the body is surprisingly resilient, also BMI is a poor indicator of actual weight to height/structure. e.g my BMI is about 16.4 I'm female, weigh about 7st and am 5'6". I AM underweight at the moment, I know this, I am putting weight on (or attempting to at least, just to clarify I don't have an eating disorder). However for my height, according to my BMI I should weight about 9st 4lbs which is HUGE! If I weighed 9st 4lbs I'd look and feel overweight. At 8st-8st 5lbs where my BMI is about 17-19 I am comfortable and I am also at a weight which my doctor agrees is sensible, but according to BMI's I'm still underweight. You need to factor in your build too.

Take BMI's with a pinch of salt, but please consult with your GP if you're really worried.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 9 stone 10lbs, and I assure you I don't look or feel HUGE, I'm quite normal. If you really feel that you would look overweight at 9 stone 4lbs, given that you are 2 inches taller than me, I think your issue is somewhat psychological.
Original post by SuperCat007

Your height makes a big difference. I think you are seeing 9 stone as some sort of 'oh no, that's more than 8 stone' mental block. I am 8 stone 4 and 5'3, my BMI is 20.15. I am still really thin! I could go to 9 and still be slim. Yet I am 3 inches shorter than you. 7 stone, you are dangerously thin at that weight and height, I wish you the best of luck in gaining weight. My BMI was around 15 when I was 15, and I did not go beyond 7 stone 10 which I was stuck at for a good while, until late last year. I feel MUCH healthier looking, it's great. Please do not be afraid of reaching a normal BMI! 9 stone 4 might look a but overweight if you were 4'11, please remember the enormous difference your height makes.
Trust me if you saw me then 9st 4lbs would be huge! Although I'm not saying in the general scheme of things that 9st 4lbs is huge. My issue is not psychological but I know my body and my shape and my joints wouldn't cope with me being 9st+. I need to get back up to 8.5st but it's a slow drag, I lose weight even when I eat massive amounts. I'll get back there eventually though, I'm putting on loads more weight now I'm riding horses again.

Quick Reply

Latest