The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
That exam was ok! :smile: What did everyone think?
Seemed to be ok.

Fingers crossed innit.
Yeah it was alright for me. The questions on how your fieldwork increased your geographical understanding were a bit dodgy as usual but oh well.
Reply 2423
what did people put for 'interpreting the results on mann whitney?'

it confused me cause there was two observed values

also what did you put when it asked why is used a Mann whitney U??

can someone put my mind at ease please :biggrin:
Reply 2424
Original post by popnit

i thought it was okay too!

what did you write for how to interpret the mann whitney one??
and what did you write to say what they used it??

AND what did you put for the last 12 marker?? haha

mann whitney confused me cause there was two Observed values :s-smilie: i only wrote about the one which was 8 and that it was significant because it was lower..

was that right?? dying to know
Reply 2425
Original post by popnit

I thought it was okay! The last question I was a bit like 'Whaaaaaat?!' lol, but I managed to baffle some rubbish out lol :P
Original post by rosey76

mann whitney confused me cause there was two Observed values :s-smilie: i only wrote about the one which was 8 and that it was significant because it was lower..

yeah you got it right :smile: you just look at the lowest value of the two, thankfully i went over that yesterday haha!
i said about it being quantative data, that you were testing for a difference and there were enough pieces of data to do the test (min. is 8 i think for mann whitney) and i can't even remember what the 12 marker was! hahaha
i'm relying on this paper for the marks!!
For people asking about the Mann Whitney question. Because one of the values (U2 in this case) was less than the critical value, you can reject the null hypothesis and accept the hypothesis that there was a difference in vegetation between the two dune areas.
geog 4a.. this paper was an absolute dream! I opened the paper nervously and then slouched back in my chair and was so relaxed. it was great :smile:
Anyone do 4B?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2430
Original post by hopefulmedic
yeah you got it right :smile: you just look at the lowest value of the two, thankfully i went over that yesterday haha!
i said abooh ut it being quantative data, that you were testing for a difference and there were enough pieces of data to do the test (min. is 8 i think for mann whitney) and i can't even remember what the 12 marker was! hahaha
i'm relying on this paper for the marks!!

oh phew!! and me too i messed unit 3 up so need to do well on this!
okay i said they were testing for a difference too, oooh i didn't know you needed a min of 8 but i rambled on saying that if it was a correlation you'd use spearmans rank and if it was nominal data then you would have used chi aquare.

hopefully i'll put up a few marks.

and the 12 marker was on statistical tests/analysis of data and how it can help geological understanding.

i described how you would do spearmans rank and said about it like good and bad points, also said about mean,mode,median and measures of dispersion. what did you write?
Original post by rosey76
oh phew!! and me too i messed unit 3 up so need to do well on this!
okay i said they were testing for a difference too, oooh i didn't know you needed a min of 8 but i rambled on saying that if it was a correlation you'd use spearmans rank and if it was nominal data then you would have used chi aquare.

hopefully i'll put up a few marks.

and the 12 marker was on statistical tests/analysis of data and how it can help geological understanding.

i described how you would do spearmans rank and said about it like good and bad points, also said about mean,mode,median and measures of dispersion. what did you write?

haha yep same for me, unit 3 was total waffle on my part!
ah that sounds good, yeah i learnt it in biology before for some reason so thought there's no harm in sticking it in there too ha!
hopefully we've both done alright there then :biggrin:
oh yeaaaaah, ANOTHER geographical understanding question :P
i said about how you could use it to support your hypotheses and results of the data to determine trends, & yeah i used spearman's rank as an example to get the point across and basically said that the tests allow you to produce a value which when interpreted could prove/disprove hypotheses and then kind of went down the route of how results support the underpinning theories bla blah blah haha!
not a great answer but i thought it was okay!
glad we had plenty of time to do this paper in though so i just kept going back through and adding extra bits in to all the questions at the end :smile:
fingers crossed!
Reply 2432
Original post by hopefulmedic
haha yep same for me, unit 3 was total waffle on my part!
ah that sounds good, yeah i learnt it in biology before for some reason so thought there's no harm in sticking it in there too ha!
hopefully we've both done alright there then :biggrin:
oh yeaaaaah, ANOTHER geographical understanding question :P
i said about how you could use it to support your hypotheses and results of the data to determine trends, & yeah i used spearman's rank as an example to get the point across and basically said that the tests allow you to produce a value which when interpreted could prove/disprove hypotheses and then kind of went down the route of how results support the underpinning theories bla blah blah haha!
not a great answer but i thought it was okay!
glad we had plenty of time to do this paper in though so i just kept going back through and adding extra bits in to all the questions at the end :smile:
fingers crossed!

Yep! i know i finished at like 10:10 :L quite suprised, was this a retake for you?
i did paper 4B in jan and got a c when predicted an A so i did this exam instead :smile:

also what unit 3 questions did you do? i did world cities essay, and then plates and dev and globalisation structured.

plus what are you predicted/need grades wise??
Reply 2433
Original post by rosey76

Yep that's right. The 12 marker I talked about Chi squared, standard dev and spearman's and their good and bad points
Reply 2434
Original post by popnit
Yep that's right. The 12 marker I talked about Chi squared, standard dev and spearman's and their good and bad points

yay im so happy, i sort of took a shot and went for the mann whitney, so glad i got it right :')

and yeah i did the same but mainly talked about spearmans, then standard dev and then measures of dispersion.

hopefully they won't up the grade boundaries though because everyone seems to have liked it :/
Reply 2435
Does anyone know if it's ok to write in the margin below each question? Did it for most of the questions lol :/
Reply 2436
Original post by chlooeh
Does anyone know if it's ok to write in the margin below each question? Did it for most of the questions lol :/

dunno if you're meant to write in the margin, but i wrote below the lines on each question before the next question started :smile:

what did you think to this exam? are they harsh at marking the fieldwork stuff?
dont think i had enough 'geographical reasons' for my location..
Reply 2437
Original post by rosey76
dunno if you're meant to write in the margin, but i wrote below the lines on each question before the next question started :smile:

what did you think to this exam? are they harsh at marking the fieldwork stuff?
dont think i had enough 'geographical reasons' for my location..

That's what I meant, just in the gaps underneath the questions. Glad someone else did it :P

I thought it was okay, I don't think they're too harsh as long as you make it sound realistic and explain it well, like naming locations, explaining what you did etc. For geographical reasons I just wrote about my village's location, size and my background theory of counter-urbanisation :smile: I don't think it matters if you have 3 or 5 reasons as long as they believe you done the fieldwork lol x
Reply 2438
Original post by chlooeh
That's what I meant, just in the gaps underneath the questions. Glad someone else did it :P

I thought it was okay, I don't think they're too harsh as long as you make it sound realistic and explain it well, like naming locations, explaining what you did etc. For geographical reasons I just wrote about my village's location, size and my background theory of counter-urbanisation :smile: I don't think it matters if you have 3 or 5 reasons as long as they believe you done the fieldwork lol x

okay good :smile: i think i only had like 3 reasons but tried to explain it more.
was this a retake for you? i did unit 4B in jan but decided to do this as the retake instead :smile:

and yep i didn't want to ask for more paper for like 2 lines! haha x
did anyone do 4b?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending