The Student Room Group

British student who created TVShack will be extradited to the US.

Scroll to see replies

Strongly disagree with this, now the yanks will send this 'british' kid to hell and back..
Original post by TheImperialist
"A British student accused of breaching US copyright could face trial in the United States after a British court ruled that he can be extradited from the UK.
A judge at Westminster Magistrates Court agreed with US prosecutors that 23-year-old Richard O'Dwyer should face trial in America rather than in the UK.
The Sheffield Hallam University undergraduate has been fighting extradition since he was arrested for setting up a website which allowed people access to films and TV shows for free."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16148629

My question is, on what grounds did the judge agree with the US prosecutors?

He is a British citizen, its a British based website and the crime was committed in Britain. How can he be tried in the United States? :eek:

Imagine if Britain did that to a US Citizen!

It doesnt sound right - from what i read there isnt a case to answer, given that as far as i can see, he only provided a torrents search site and everything was hosted in the UK

Looks more like a fishing trip for the US authorities - they have tracked a site to its author and now want to test this principle out in their courts - probably a very public one to send a message out.
Reply 102
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/24/wikipedia-founder-richard-odwyer-extradition-stopped

Back in the news again.

Lots of propaganda coming from his supporters.

He made a lot of money enabling people to break copyright laws. This isn't mentioned much. He knew full well that he was doing this or he would not have taken down listings when asked by some Owners. Did he think it is only illegal when Owners complain?
Original post by snozzle
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/24/wikipedia-founder-richard-odwyer-extradition-stopped

Back in the news again.

He made a lot of money enabling people to break copyright laws. This isn't mentioned much. He knew full well that he was doing this or he would not have taken down listings when asked by some Owners. Did he think it is only illegal when Owners complain?

Freedom of the internet my friend. Stop this business takeover of our lawless paradise.
Reply 104
Original post by internetguru
Freedom of the internet my friend. Stop this business takeover of our lawless paradise.

What do you actually mean by freedom of the internet? Just a slogan?

We're talking things like film and music. Why should they be free?
Original post by snozzle
What do you actually mean by freedom of the internet? Just a slogan?

We're talking things like film and music. Why should they be free?

The internet is not based in any country therefore it is lawless and a free.
Reply 106
Original post by internetguru
The internet is not based in any country therefore it is lawless and a free.

I'm not talking about the internet in a universal sense but certain parcels of information.

If intellectual property ceased to be enforceable then it would retard lots of investment in medicine, film, music, technology.

If people want to make free film and put them on the internet that is fine. There is your free internet.
Quick! Where's Obama with his talk of "change" crap when you need him?
Posting links is not illegal. Just like drug dealing is illegal telling your friend where to find a drug dealer is not.
Reply 109
Original post by Beebumble
Posting links is not illegal. Just like drug dealing is illegal telling your friend where to find a drug dealer is not.

We're not talking about drug dealing.

Anyway I think if one profited by supplying information to help people buy drugs you might be breaking some law.
Original post by snozzle
We're not talking about drug dealing.

Anyway I think if one profited by supplying information to help people buy drugs you might be breaking some law.

No but it's similar situation. If there is no law that states handing gaining money from giving information on drugs. They can't charge you for it. Unless of course your an American business owner then you can get people arrested and charged for whatever you like just because they upset you. :rolleyes:
I'd never say this but...

f*** da police
Original post by Steezy
America, **** yeah

The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy.
Reply 113
Theresa May's head... on a plate... now!
Reply 114
Original post by snozzle

Back in the news again.

You're clueless.

They're not arguing his innocence, rather, he should not be extradited to a country that supports torture etcetc.

If he has broke any law, he should be trialed here.

Anyway, the entire matter is based on hypocrisy. It's hysterical really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Otkem
He encouraged it, which in my eyes is sufficient for the electric chair.

WHAT? That's ludicrous! By that logic, Google's employees and founders and everyone related to Google would be in the chair!
Reply 116
The Extradition Treaty, in essence makes Britain the 51st American state.

It needs to be repealed immediately.

Nah, the politicians are too busy licking America's backside (like they have been for decades).

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-extradition-fair-uk-trial-for-richard-o-dwyer.html
(edited 11 years ago)
stupid conservative goverment, no backbone at all bending to America's wishes
Original post by gateshipone
Nope, if it were then Google, Yahoo and any other search engine you can think of would be illegal. Sadly this is never understood by judges, which is why The Pirate Bay got shut down (temporarily) and Newzbin was repeatedly taken to court and eventually blocked by BT.

The difference is piratebay deliberately sourced pirated material and would never remove it, whereas this kid would remove all links to illegal material (as proven by his records).

The Americans have every right under the law to extradite and try this kid.

Which is why we need the law to change.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ukhomeoffice-stop-the-extradition-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard
Original post by TheImperialist
"A British student accused of breaching US copyright could face trial in the United States after a British court ruled that he can be extradited from the UK.
A judge at Westminster Magistrates Court agreed with US prosecutors that 23-year-old Richard O'Dwyer should face trial in America rather than in the UK.
The Sheffield Hallam University undergraduate has been fighting extradition since he was arrested for setting up a website which allowed people access to films and TV shows for free."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16148629

My question is, on what grounds did the judge agree with the US prosecutors?

He is a British citizen, its a British based website and the crime was committed in Britain. How can he be tried in the United States? :eek:

Imagine if Britain did that to a US Citizen!

I'm so happy to know that my country will protect me.

Oh wait... Come on already this stupid unbalanced extradition treaty is stupid, is smacks of the kind of gunboat diplomacy the west forced upon places like imperial China it's just dumb.

Especially in these cases where the alleged crime has basically occurred entirely within the UK and it honestly a UK judicial issue. A case for UK courts to decide warrants trial.

Simply put the US has no jurisdiction over here and the US judicial system does not meet the standards and principles that UK law upholds and pursues, so we shouldn't be so ready to give away our citizens (innocent until proven guilty btw) to foreign countries and left to the mercy of their courts who often (even in the case of the US) can't promise them a fair trial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending