The Student Room Group

This may be the stupidest question ever but...

... I'm living in House A atm where I'm connected to a wireless (Virgin) network with a router that is plugged in like you'd expect.

I'm gonna move all my stuff from House A to House B in the coming weeks. House B is a 5 minute walk away.

Can I unplug my wireless router and take it to House B where the same network runs as normal so I can do without having to make a new account with Virgin?? :colondollar:

Your thoughts TSR,

Mr Orange
Reply 1
Original post by Mr. Orange
... I'm living in House A atm where I'm connected to a wireless (Virgin) network with a router that is plugged in like you'd expect.

I'm gonna move all my stuff from House A to House B in the coming weeks. House B is a 5 minute walk away.

Can I unplug my wireless router and take it to House B where the same network runs as normal so I can do without having to make a new account with Virgin?? :colondollar:

Your thoughts TSR,

Mr Orange

From my understanding no.

Virgin Media equipment requires it to be activated by VM so for example if you even tried to buy a router off eBay and then tried to swap it the router won't work as it needs to be activated via an engineer or via a telephone call. However your router is already activated so theoretically it may work but when you say "5 minutes away"... if it is 5 minutes as in driving distance then surely the signal would be crap or are you referring to a few doors down?

VM have been known to send out routers with a special card of which you ring to get your router activated. The same rule applies for TV boxes, you can't just transfer it/buy one off eBay as it requires it to be activated.

Furthermore you are normally required to give the equipment back as it is property of VM if it states it in your contract. The answer is NO it is not possible and it is best to ring VM as by doing this you will be breaking your contract as VM has gave you permission to use that router ONLY is the address they sent it to.

Ring 150 off your telephone and tell them the situation they may just ask for your new address and thats it but I think they may require some sort off proof prehaps the answer to your security question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mangoh
From my understanding no.

Virgin Media equipment requires it to be activated by VM so for example if you even tried to buy a router off eBay and then tried to swap it the router won't work as it needs to be activated via an engineer or via a telephone call. However your router is already activated so theoretically it may work but when you say "5 minutes away"... if it is 5 minutes as in driving distance then surely the signal would be crap or are you referring to a few doors down?

Well the signal wouldn't be worse because the router would just be in my new living room and not having to get beamed from my old house to new house

Furthermore you are normally required to give the equipment back as it is property of VM if it states it in your contract. The answer is NO it is not possible and it is best to ring VM as by doing this you will be breaking your contract as VM has gave you permission to use that router ONLY is the address they sent it to.

Yeah I guessed there may be a contractual problem in moving the actual router from the house... ah well

Ring 150 off your telephone and tell them the situation they may just ask for your new address and thats it but I think they may require some sort off proof prehaps the answer to your security question.

Cheers boss, will do :yes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Well the signal wouldn't be worse because the router would just be in my new living room and not having to get beamed from my old house to new house

Yeah I guessed there may be a contractual problem in moving the actual router from the house... ah well

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but if you're moving house then you'll need to ring Virgin Media to move your broadband, too. It's likely this won't require any sort of hardware change and you can just take your router with you - it's just the fact that your new house will not receive broadband unless you have a contract with a provider for it - just like with a land-line.
Reply 4

Did you ring up then?
Lol no.

You can't just plug in a router wherever you are and just expect it to work without having made arrangements with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending