The Student Room Group

When did you find out you needed to wear glasses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm 14, and as my eyesight is getting worse, I've been told I'll have to start wearing them in 6 months or so.
Original post by randomguy786
:rolleyes:

Your frames are nice though! :laugh:
Reply 62
1. When did you find out you needed to wear glasses?
2. What was your prescription then?
Left -0.5, Right 0.25
3. What is it now?
Left -1.0, Right 0.5
4. When do you wear your glasses?
All the time usually because I forget to take them off!
1. ~5 years old
2. can't remember
3. Both eyes -4.75 (until my last appointment in Jan they were different for years)
4. All the time
5. http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/fashion/fc-93/
I was in Year 4/5 I think, so about 8 or 9.
I'm not really sure what it was, but I spent ages not wearing glasses because I didn't want to be the only one and get teased for it.
Now I'm -4.75 in both eyes (and am starting to notice my sights getting worse)
I wore glasses all the time from then until I was about 11. But since then I always wear contacts, except occasionally at night.

I really hate wearing glasses, they are so uncomfortable and get in the way and I find the frames annoying, as you can always see them. I know if I only had a prescription of -0.5 or something like that I would just squint or manage without them because they aren't worth it. It seems to have become a cool thing to wear in my year group and I don't understand why. Everyone is getting them now when they clearly don't need them, just to join the glasses club and follow the crowd, I find it really odd.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
6 years old
3. What is it now?
-1.25 & -1.50
All the time
5. Link a picture/web page of your glasses! (Optional)
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/fashion/monique/
Reply 66
Original post by RollandGarros
Erm, like 6, like most people who live in this country and aren't immigrants claiming our free benefits.

-something

-4ish

Maybe once or twice a week, contacts the rest of the time

Cba

I work in the optics industry and I assure you, the vast majority of people in our store who claim the sight-test related benefits provided by the NHS are not immigrants. In fact, it's exceptionally difficult to get them if you're not British! And anyway, at what age do benefit-claiming immigrants realise they need glasses? Jeez...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
When I was little dont know what age but I didnt wear them for 5 years + for some reason
I dont know :s
3. What is it now?
-3 in both eyes
At home all day but I wear contacts when I go school/outside

the basic frames :s
when I was 13. when i found out i had a stigmatisum in my eyes and it explained my headaches and blurred vision.
Not sure, but not too strong, just enough to see small print.
3. What is it now?
Still not 100%
All the time but its useful reading small print and watching tv. When I eventually drive, it will be good for reading number plates and signs.
Don't have any pictures of me in them online. Brown frame with orange detailed flowers.
16- when I joined sixth form.
Can't remember
Can't remember

Wear them almost all of the time. Don't when reading or on computer.
Reply 70
8 years old
Not sure. Can't have been that bad cause I could only just not read the board.
3. What is it now?
-5ish in both eyes
All the time
I really hate wearing glasses, they are so uncomfortable and get in the way and I find the frames annoying, as you can always see them. I know if I only had a prescription of -0.5 or something like that I would just squint or manage without them because they aren't worth it. It seems to have become a cool thing to wear in my year group and I don't understand why. Everyone is getting them now when they clearly don't need them, just to join the glasses club and follow the crowd, I find it really odd

I know what you mean. I find it uncomfortable having frames against my ears all day- I really hated it at first but I'd say I've gradually got more used to it. It took me ages learning to put eye makeup to go with my glasses as well & still sometimes end up with my lashes brushing against the lenses. I like how I look in my frames which kinda makes up for the inonvenience of wearing glasses all the time. Not sure what to make of people wearing them purely as a fashion accessory. I suppose it could be a good thing in a way- if people choose to wear them because they think they look good in them then those of us who actually need them can feel more confident about our looks.
7 :frown:
no idea
-4.75ish? maybe? possibly..?
I wear my glasses every waking moment, although sometimes i wear my contacts, when i'm trying to look pretty :smile:
I was 10 - I'm a diabetic so I have to have annual eye screenings which involve drops and photos of the back of the eye being taken - it's not as bad as it sounds after 10 years of having it done. Kind of used to it. Still stings, but its not a surprise any more. I have to have normal sight test biannually on the same day I have my drops

Can't exactly remember -2 I guess

-3 and -3.75

All the time. I'm considering contacts but still not sure about them tbh don't fancy the thought of prodding myself in the eye every day tho
Reply 74
13 years old
right -0.50, left -0.75 I rarely wear them untill I had arround -2.5 (and astigmatism)
3. What is it now?
right -3.50 cylinder -1.75 left: -3.50 cylinder -1.25 and I have weaker glasses for reading and computer and a pair of progressives for studying. (they really help when I need both reading and distance at the same time).
When I feel I need them, can't really tell when, sometimes all day long sometimes just for certain tasks. Have to wear them all the time. Usually at home I wear nothing and sometimes when I go out for a walk on daylight. At night I wear them. Sometimes I wear contacts, mostly for parties, sports and when it rains.
Original post by randomguy786
Just a few random questions for all you glasses wearers out there because I'm bored! :smile:

18 years old
3. What is it now?
All the time
http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/modern/tb1142-1/

1. 12
2. Not sure. Possibly -1.50
3. -1.50 (Was -1.75 for years until the last time I went, so not sure if it was inaccurate)
4. At home when watching TV or on the PS3. Very rarely when I'm out of the house.
5. Can't find one.

Personally, I've always hated my glasses. I recently got a new pair and was hoping to get a more flattering pair which I'd be more keen to wear like the OP actually. Only the people working there are REALLY patronising. Felt rushed and pushed to make a decision from their awful selection. I wear contact lenses when out the house normally, though I'm sick of wearing them too, and highly contemplating just going for laser eye as soon as I can now that they have pay monthly deals.
Reply 76
1. 12/13 years
2. Left -2.50 Right +0.50
3. Left -2.00 Right -1.00
4. All the time in the house and at school only when I'm in classes
5. www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/modern/karen-millen-11/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 77
Actually cannot remember but I think it was around the -0.75 mark for distance
3. What is it now?
-1.75 for distance, and some fancy stuff for my astigmatism and I used to have prisms and stuff too
all the time (but should only use them for distance
7 years old
no idea
3. What is it now?
when I'm not wearing my contact lenses
no
Original post by desdemonata
Not sure, 13 maybe?
Is it weird that I don't even know my own persciption? Maybe +1.5...
Hasn't changed, as far as I can tell.
All the time. I hate not wearing my glasses and feeling like I can't see things properly >_<

Desde, please go back to posts like these, instead of your newer stuff which is 10% words and 90% smileys

:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest