The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Ahhhhhhh- Interview at Lancaster on Wednesday :s SO SCARED! Has anyone else got an interview that day and if so, what are you taking for the 10 pieces- i.e. are you taking original canvases etc. Also, what are you wearing?! Good Luck everyone!!! :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by randombelle
Ahhhhhhh- Interview at Lancaster on Wednesday :s SO SCARED! Has anyone else got an interview that day and if so, what are you taking for the 10 pieces- i.e. are you taking original canvases etc. Also, what are you wearing?! Good Luck everyone!!! :smile:

Yeah I have one on the same day, and no, I'm only taking drawings as all my canvases are too big. I'm taking photos of them instead. and I'm taking some that are smallish boards. And i'm just wearing the typical but it'll be different for you anyway because your a girl. Did you go to the open day? Just wear the same as what people wore then.
Reply 162
Ive applied for Fine art at:
Goldsmiths, Kingston, Chelsea, anglia ruskin and UCA farnham
Anyone think this is gunna be hard work or is it pretty even in terms of competition for these courses?
Original post by Soares
Ive applied for Fine art at:
Goldsmiths, Kingston, Chelsea, anglia ruskin and UCA farnham
Anyone think this is gunna be hard work or is it pretty even in terms of competition for these courses?

I don't know about UCA or Kingston, but I think Chelsea and Goldsmiths are going to be hard.

Anglia Ruskin on the other hand seems fairly easy to get into. I wouldn't have put it together with the others you've applied for, anyway. I'm doing a foundation in Cambridge at the moment, and all the tutors seem to be like "ah well, you could always go to ARU". I know they have some link with the college I'm at though, so I don't know whether that's the reason for it or if it's just easy in general.

That's just based on what I've heard at college though, I'm not trying to put it down or anything :smile: I didn't really look at the course because ARU's too close to where I live for my liking, so don't take what I've said as fact :smile:
Reply 164
Original post by Village Whisper
I don't know about UCA or Kingston, but I think Chelsea and Goldsmiths are going to be hard.

Anglia Ruskin on the other hand seems fairly easy to get into. I wouldn't have put it together with the others you've applied for, anyway. I'm doing a foundation in Cambridge at the moment, and all the tutors seem to be like "ah well, you could always go to ARU". I know they have some link with the college I'm at though, so I don't know whether that's the reason for it or if it's just easy in general.

That's just based on what I've heard at college though, I'm not trying to put it down or anything :smile: I didn't really look at the course because ARU's too close to where I live for my liking, so don't take what I've said as fact :smile:

That sounds good to me then, gotta have my backup plan if kingston chelsea or goldsmiths dont let me in
Interview at NUCA, has anyone else applied there? I guess we'll all hear back from Goldsmiths soon too - the e-portfolio deadline was Feb 15th last year.
Has anyone been doing online portfolios yet? People seem to be having interviews already...Did you all have to submit work or is it just based on your application?

I have a Leeds College of Art deadline (have to send actual photos and an analysed postcard) on the 25th January, and I got a Brighton email today saying I need 15-20 photos on Flickr by the last Tuesday of January.

Oh, and the UCL portfolio inspection on the 9th February. So, that just leaves NTU and Loughborough...

...I'm scared!
Reply 167
Has anyone been doing online portfolios yet? People seem to be having interviews already...Did you all have to submit work or is it just based on your application?

I have a Leeds College of Art deadline (have to send actual photos and an analysed postcard) on the 25th January, and I got a Brighton email today saying I need 15-20 photos on Flickr by the last Tuesday of January.

Oh, and the UCL portfolio inspection on the 9th February. So, that just leaves NTU and Loughborough...

...I'm scared!

Yeah For Lancaster we had to have an online portfolio of 15 pieces then we that have been short listed have to bring a further 10 to interview along with 2 sketchbooks. Which is tomorrow. St Martins wanted actual photos too. Whats your online portfolio?
Original post by joelchan
Yeah For Lancaster we had to have an online portfolio of 15 pieces then we that have been short listed have to bring a further 10 to interview along with 2 sketchbooks. Which is tomorrow. St Martins wanted actual photos too. Whats your online portfolio?

Ooh, that makes more sense then!

You mean the link? I only made an account a couple of hours ago, so I only stuck a few pictures on there to see how to do it. It's looking pretty rubbish at the moment...I have nowhere near 15-20 pieces that I'm prepared to let people judge me on! Need to get started on my new project.

Soooo, since it's probably bad compared to other people's on here, I think I'll wait til it's better then post the link :wink:

Does anyone else have a Flickr link or something?
Reply 169
Ooh, that makes more sense then!

You mean the link? I only made an account a couple of hours ago, so I only stuck a few pictures on there to see how to do it. It's looking pretty rubbish at the moment...I have nowhere near 15-20 pieces that I'm prepared to let people judge me on! Need to get started on my new project.

Soooo, since it's probably bad compared to other people's on here, I think I'll wait til it's better then post the link :wink:

Does anyone else have a Flickr link or something?

www.joel-chan.tumblr.com

...I'm scared!

What did you apply for at Brighton? Really worrying because I haven't heard from them now :/
Reply 172

Look at her briefly but it was a little too photorealistic for my tastes, although her work is really good.
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
What did you apply for at Brighton? Really worrying because I haven't heard from them now :/

I went for Painting, like the other 194574548844930384018485 people who applied there...Meaning I'm never even gonna get past the online portfolio, let alone get an offer :frown:

I wouldn't worry too much. From the wording of the email, it sounded like they were doing it in stages. Like, they didn't specify a date, it was just saying to email back "within two weeks from the date you received this email" or something like that. I reckon they're trying to stagger it a bit, but I could be wrong. If you've received your UCAS confirmation stuff, it should all be fine :smile:

Look at her briefly but it was a little too photorealistic for my tastes, although her work is really good.

Ah, that's fair enough :smile: I just thought that if it was a (current) A-Level project or something you could relate it to her work, since it's all splashy and stuff :wink:

I like photorealism, but I'm too impatient with backgrounds and things to do it. My work never really has a proper background...
Reply 174

Ah, that's fair enough :smile: I just thought that if it was a (current) A-Level project or something you could relate it to her work, since it's all splashy and stuff :wink:

I like photorealism, but I'm too impatient with backgrounds and things to do it. My work never really has a proper background...

But thanks anyway. I just don't really work with art that is created directly from photographs, it means I can be expressive and I'm limited to what I can do because it has to look exactly like the original picture.
But thanks anyway. I just don't really work with art that is created directly from photographs, it means I can be expressive and I'm limited to what I can do because it has to look exactly like the original picture.

Haha, well, it doesn't have to. I'm a bit bad in that I work from photos way more than I should, but I don't usually copy them exactly and I paint them in my "style" (I'm still not sure what that is, but people seem to think I have one, so...).

Having said that, though, I'm just talking about people and portraits. I find it really awkward to sit and draw/paint someone when they're physically there, and I work quite slowly so they'd have to sit still for ages. If for some reason I'm doing an object, I won't use a photo 'cause it's pointless and objects don't tend to move on their own :wink:
I went for Painting, like the other 194574548844930384018485 people who applied there...Meaning I'm never even gonna get past the online portfolio, let alone get an offer :frown:

I wouldn't worry too much. From the wording of the email, it sounded like they were doing it in stages. Like, they didn't specify a date, it was just saying to email back "within two weeks from the date you received this email" or something like that. I reckon they're trying to stagger it a bit, but I could be wrong. If you've received your UCAS confirmation stuff, it should all be fine :smile:

That's good to know! I hope they do leave it a while actually, I could do with some more time :colondollar:
And you never know about getting an offer, something might come through :smile:
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
That's good to know! I hope they do leave it a while actually, I could do with some more time :colondollar:
And you never know about getting an offer, something might come through :smile:

Haha, so could I to be honest. I've just found out today that I have 3 more studio days before my assessment of this new project, and I've basically not even started it yet. And I'm practically having a constant fit over my LCA application and the photos/postcard I have to send them. I mean, they only want six. SIX! And they've given 5 titles, so you have to write on the back of the photo which one you've used (the last is just two additional ones).

When I think about how they're going to base their decision on my attempts at understanding what they mean by "working processes", I actually want to cry...

...But I'm going to stop complaining now, because I'm surely not the only person worrying about this :smile:
Has anyone got any offers/interviews yet?
Im getting worried!
Applied for foundation Art at Sunderland, Northampton, Brighton, Ulster and Central Lancashire and haven't heard anything back from anywhere yet!
Haha, so could I to be honest. I've just found out today that I have 3 more studio days before my assessment of this new project, and I've basically not even started it yet. And I'm practically having a constant fit over my LCA application and the photos/postcard I have to send them. I mean, they only want six. SIX! And they've given 5 titles, so you have to write on the back of the photo which one you've used (the last is just two additional ones).

When I think about how they're going to base their decision on my attempts at understanding what they mean by "working processes", I actually want to cry...

...But I'm going to stop complaining now, because I'm surely not the only person worrying about this :smile:

Oh I remember my LCA application. It's such a stupid way of doing it! No one can tell how you work or think by 5 photographs and a tiny weeny little bit of writing that barely shows anything. They really strongly favour their own foundation course too, it's such a con.

Quick Reply