The Student Room Group

Medicine 2012 hopeful entrants II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingme
Can I just point out something that may infuriate or relax you all?

When everybody comes out of an easy paper all happy and smiles, they fail to realise that it was easy for everyone else who sat it, i.e. getting 99% doesn't count for much if everyone else gets 100%.

But, when the exam is hard, everyone immediately assumes it was only them who just demonstrated their lack knowledge in whatever subject.

Whoever says human are naturally inclined to be either a) logical or b) optimistic has clearly never reacted to their own performance in anything.

So basically, if you were going to get an A, you'll get one regardless of how easy/hard the particular paper was.

Wise words indeed! :smile:
Reply 3021
Original post by Joseppea
It was an awful question! Everyone at my college struggled with the last 2, so hopefully the grade boundaries will reflect that.

I got 2 marks out of 12 for the last question. :confused:

Awful paper. :sigh: Last years Jan paper was much better tbh.
Reply 3022
Anyone want to post up the question? :p: It has me intrigued :laugh:
Original post by Besakt
A - Levels is split into two years.
In the first year you do AS-Level
In the second year you do A2-Level.
AS + A2 Level = A Level.
If you decide to do just AS Level that is a qualification in itself and is worth half of an A- Level.
The AS and A2 Level for the science subject and most of the humanities subjects is split into modules.
So in the first year (AS-Level year) you do one module in January and one module in June and then one module sometime in the year which is the practical module and assess your practical ability.
The same module layout is for the A2 Year.

Ah, that makes sense. Although I hate the thought of sitting "proper" exams as early as January, it sounds better than being tested on a whole year's work in one day.

Good luck to everyone sitting exams just now!
Original post by kingme
Can I just point out something that may infuriate or relax you all?

When everybody comes out of an easy paper all happy and smiles, they fail to realise that it was easy for everyone else who sat it, i.e. getting 99% doesn't count for much if everyone else gets 100%.

But, when the exam is hard, everyone immediately assumes it was only them who just demonstrated their lack knowledge in whatever subject.

Whoever says human are naturally inclined to be either a) logical or b) optimistic has clearly never reacted to their own performance in anything.

So basically, if you were going to get an A, you'll get one regardless of how easy/hard the particular paper was.

Original post by oHellno
If it was as awful as it sounds then the grade boundaries are probably very low. Don't worry!

But the annoying thing is is that on here people found it OK, and the same with people at school. I just messed it up for myself :/
Reply 3025
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
Ah, that makes sense. Although I hate the thought of sitting "proper" exams as early as January, it sounds better than being tested on a whole year's work in one day.

Good luck to everyone sitting exams just now!

You have several opportunities to resit and your best mark counts so it's not all bad. And you also don't have to learn such large content because you're only learning for individual modules not the whole course.
Original post by MrsNorthman
But the annoying thing is is that on here people found it OK, and the same with people at school. I just messed it up for myself :/

This happened with my last exam :sigh: I would normally beat myself up over it, but just need to focus on the next few and make sure I don't mess those up!
Reply 3027
Original post by oHellno
This happened with my last exam :sigh: I would normally beat myself up over it, but just need to focus on the next few and make sure I don't mess those up!

Which exam board? Which subject?
Original post by Besakt

Original post by Besakt
Which exam board? Which subject?

Edexcel Stats. It wasn't actually a hard paper, just easy to make mistakes.
Reply 3029
Original post by oHellno
Edexcel Stats. It wasn't actually a hard paper, just easy to make mistakes.

Oh I know how you feel, I've had 3 resits and I feel I haven't done aswell as I could have, when people walk out of the exam talking about how they found it easy and how they "bossed" the exam it just takes a blow to my confidence. I've got 3 more exams next week, I really need to do well
Reply 3030
Has anybody else had an interview for durham?? Had mine yesterday and thought it went terribly...was only in there for about 25 mins :frown:
Original post by mm89
Has anybody else had an interview for durham?? Had mine yesterday and thought it went terribly...was only in there for about 25 mins :frown:

I haven't, but 25 mins is about average for an interview :smile: A few friends have had Newcastle ones that were about 20/25 mins.
Reply 3032
Original post by laurie:)
:yep: 18 at last! :biggrin:

Happy birthday! :biggrin: Said with ten minutes to spare :awesome:
Reply 3033
Original post by MrsNorthman

Tbh I wouldn't worry too much about what people on here think, particularly the really arrogant idiots who post every answer and are convinced they are right and make you feel like crap. There will always be people who find it easy, and there will always be people who find it hard but chances are you're going to remember all the bad points, all the things you think you did wrong and not remember all the plus points.

It was a maths exam you did wasn't it? You'll still get marks for working remember :smile: and if worst comes to worst you'll still be able to resit in the summer :redface:
Apparently UCL have already already allocated their February interviews... well, that's what it said on the UCL medicine applicants page :frown:
Original post by Loulibelle

Original post by Loulibelle
Apparently UCL have already already allocated their February interviews... well, that's what it said on the UCL medicine applicants page :frown:

From what I've seen it's only for the beginning of February so far, there's still time. :hugs:
Reply 3036
I have a TSR hater :frown:
Original post by oHellno

Original post by oHellno
From what I've seen it's only for the beginning of February so far, there's still time. :hugs:

When do they start giving out rejections!?
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
I have a TSR hater :frown:

Lol :console:
Reply 3039
I'll be studying Medicine in Oxford :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending