The Student Room Group

should I drop out of college?

I am currently in my second year of college and at this point I don't see the point of going on. I have messed up big time, my attendance is around 70% average. I am working at grade U in 2 of my subject (biology and AS maths) and I just allegedly missed the last opportunity to hand in 40% of my computing coursework. I only just got into the second year and failed 2 subjects, resulting in me having to take an AS. The was really my last chance and I failed to deliver. I would have to do 8 exams (including resits) to catch up and I would only have 2-3 months to catch up.

I am 70% sure it is time to cut the rope but before I do I need to know a few things as I wish to return to re do my A levels at the soonest opportunity.

-If I quit do I get to keep my AS grades or are they discarded?
-how difficult/expensive is it to get into a college if I am 2 years above the entry age? Will they even consider taking me on?
-If I get good enough grades will it still be possible for me to get accepted into university given my bad track record?
-do you personally think this is my best option at this point?

I would be so thankful of some replies, this is a situation I hoped I would never be in and I am bitterly regretting my actions over the last few months.
Reply 1
I should of probably thought better than to expect any replies at 4 in the morning but I am discussing it with my dad later today and I feel like I really need some advice. It was painful enough to have to drop physics last year, and now I'm faced with the likely event of me dropping all of my subjects. I really don't know what to think anymore.
Reply 2
bump
Can empathise, I'm also about two weeks overdue my Computing coursework, and I've got lesson next thing in the morning when I need to give it in, but it's nowhere near complete. Not particularly fun tbh :frown: Any my attendance is even worse..

Anyway, to answer your questions:
1) You would keep your grades (though obviously if you do better then you keep the better ones)
2) If you're 19 or under when you start college it will be paid for the full two years. I'm 95% sure this is how it is, but you may wish to look it up quickly. So you should be able to retake the two years if you want to free of charge, but again have a quick look but I'm fairly sure that's how it is.
3) Yep

And to answer the last one - as you do seem to be in a position where it would just be unfeasible to get a good mark on the current subjects and the previous subjects, you could justifiable drop out imo. Though you have to consider what you'd be doing in your time out? If it's to organise youself for re-starting, that's fine but you may find yourself bored pretty quickly. Maybe consider working on one or two subjects that you're better at, and dropping the rest, and so if you do retake you have less of a load next time round? But yes, if you do want to drop out and really don't feel the need to study then you may as well, because if you're not motivated you'll probably get the equivalent of dropping out come results day.
Reply 4
You get to keep your AS grades.

However if you want to retake your A levels, you'll probably have to pay of you are over 19 when you start again.

College will consider taking you back, they take many older students, myself included. Many people mess up first time and have to retake.

Universities will take you if you can show you have changed over 2 years and do well in your A Levels, so yeah. Just focus on getting your A Levels done properly first.

Another option is Access to Higher Education. You can look in to that but it's mainly for older students who are returning to education after a while.
Reply 5
Original post by AndroidLight
Though you have to consider what you'd be doing in your time out? If it's to organise youself for re-starting, that's fine but you may find yourself bored pretty quickly. Maybe consider working on one or two subjects that you're better at, and dropping the rest, and so if you do retake you have less of a load next time round? But yes, if you do want to drop out and really don't feel the need to study then you may as well, because if you're not motivated you'll probably get the equivalent of dropping out come results day.

My dad has said to me many times that if I dropped out of college, he would make me leave the and only let me back in to sleep. I can imagine I will be working in a crap job until the next college year swings around and even then I doubt I will be let back in to the same college (which is a shame because it was among the best in my area). I think overall I'm going to get a reality check this year and then end up doing evening classes, at a different college, with people 10 years older than me. Also I've been told that they don't allow you to take any less 3 subject while you are at college.
Reply 6
Original post by tif49
You get to keep your AS grades.

However if you want to retake your A levels, you'll probably have to pay of you are over 19 when you start again.

College will consider taking you back, they take many older students, myself included. Many people mess up first time and have to retake.

Universities will take you if you can show you have changed over 2 years and do well in your A Levels, so yeah. Just focus on getting your A Levels done properly first.

Another option is Access to Higher Education. You can look in to that but it's mainly for older students who are returning to education after a while.

thanks for the reply, it's reassuring to know that I get to keep my as grades and that I won't have to pay when I return. I doubt that my college will take me back though.
Reply 7
Original post by peptim
My dad has said to me many times that if I dropped out of college, he would make me leave the and only let me back in to sleep. I can imagine I will be working in a crap job until the next college year swings around and even then I doubt I will be let back in to the same college (which is a shame because it was among the best in my area). I think overall I'm going to get a reality check this year and then end up doing evening classes, at a different college, with people 10 years older than me. Also I've been told that they don't allow you to take any less 3 subject while you are at college.

Your dad is harsh.
Reply 8
Original post by Foulish
Your dad is harsh.

I think I deserve it.
Original post by peptim

You don't have to drop as such, you'd still take all of them but just not focus at all on whichever one you don't want to.

Also, sorry, are you planning on doing evening a level classes next year? Why not the regular day classes? I assume if I've got it correct, it would be due to getting a job?
Reply 10
You don't have to drop as such, you'd still take all of them but just not focus at all on whichever one you don't want to.

Also, sorry, are you planning on doing evening a level classes next year? Why not the regular day classes? I assume if I've got it correct, it would be due to getting a job?

Yeah you're right day classes would probably be a better idea.
Original post by peptim
Yeah you're right day classes would probably be a better idea.

Was just asking for clarification, go with whatever feels good to you. Have a rough idea of what you're going to do?

Obviously it's a tough road ahead.. but I mean feel free to message people on here, you can find that even amongst all the BS you do find people who help to keep you sane.
Reply 12
Was just asking for clarification, go with whatever feels good to you. Have a rough idea of what you're going to do?

Obviously it's a tough road ahead.. but I mean feel free to message people on here, you can find that even amongst all the BS you do find people who help to keep you sane.

Thanks. It did help a lot talk about this and I got most of my questions answered.
Reply 13
I was looking for other colleges near me with did that AQA A level computing and I can't find any. I just wish I hadn't done this.
Original post by peptim
I was looking for other colleges near me with did that AQA A level computing and I can't find any. I just wish I hadn't done this.

Where abouts are you?

Use it as motivation.. we all make mistakes and fail at many times in life, the best way to look at mistakes are that they're lessons for the future :smile:
Reply 15
Where abouts are you?

Use it as motivation.. we all make mistakes and fail at many times in life, the best way to look at mistakes are that they're lessons for the future :smile:

Just an update. I talked to my dad about the situation and decided to go in and ask my computing teacher for more time as I didn't really have anything to loose either way. He gave me 3 more days to complete the work. Although I wasn't able to complete a good project in that time, I now have something to hand in. In short I've decided to not drop out and If I play my cards right and work hard from now on I will it now will only be a year before I apply to university.

Anyway, thanks a bunch android you were very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest