The Student Room Group

Is it bad taking a two year break before going to university?

Hello guys,
A month and a half ago i graduated from my secondary school, and now the time has come for me to apply to university for the following academic year (2013-2014). Initially i intended to take a year's break (gap year) because with all this GCEs it was exhausting and i couldn't see myself going to university in two months time.

Now during the gap year i initially intended doing something that would help my application for the university but lately i thought of doing something that i could generate a pretty good income for myself and i wouldn't like to do this just for a year.

So what are your ideas about this guys? Do universities like Cambridge, Oxford Imperial, see this as bad? And how would i justify my two year "break"?
It depends a lot on what you're applying for. If you're applying for medicine and you spend the two years doing something completely unrelated it could be looked down upon.

You could try to say that you're trying to fund your education? But if it's a complete lie then forget it, they'll know.
Reply 2
So it's a bad idea right? I don't want to fund my education of something i just want to make some money for me, to feel independent and better off.
Is there anything to stop you simply implementing this idea whilst at / after university?
I think it depends on the course you wish to study. For something like Medicine, it could work against your favour, like someone else said. I went to Imperial and there were a few people on my course who took a 2-3 years off after school before coming to University. I don't think it should be too much of a problem for most courses as long as you explain what you did in your gap years in your personal statement.
Reply 5
If you were to do a fulltime job in a gap year it might be worth doing something related to the field you want to go into. It'll look good on your CV and it will probably make you better at that job in the long run because you know what it's like at the bottom doing some of the more menial tasks.
It might also shed some light on whether you want to go down your original career path. If you try for example working in a hospital for a year and don't think it's for you (if you wanted to become a doctor that is) then you've saved yourself a lot of time and money and it won't be a waste.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks guys four your replies. Well the truth is, what i was thinking of doing in the next two years, is not really related to the subject i wanna follow at all but i will earn pretty good money, that's why i was thinking of postponing for another year my studies. So what i am gonnna say??????( Thinking of studying Physics/Engineering)
Original post by thesupreme11
Thanks guys four your replies. Well the truth is, what i was thinking of doing in the next two years, is not really related to the subject i wanna follow at all but i will earn pretty good money, that's why i was thinking of postponing for another year my studies. So what i am gonnna say??????( Thinking of studying Physics/Engineering)

im 21 and starting engineering at bristol
i still feel superior to my mates and cousins who did useless degrees, now they used to look down own me but now i look down on them!!!

remember though, engineering is a 40 hour week, if you cant hack it, well just live in the library, (im serious become homeless and live in the library!!!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending