The Student Room Group

What are your options if you don't get A*-C grades at GCSE on Results Day?

See question in title.

I was just wondering what the answer is to my queston - want to think about my options.

I want to go into my school's sixth form and they require 5 A*- Cs to do each A-level subject.

What choices do I have if I don't secure those grades? I'm optimistic about my results, I have surprised myself in the past so I hope that happens again on the 23rd August!
Reply 1
Original post by RoryS
See question in title.

I was just wondering what the answer is to my queston - want to think about my options.

I want to go into my school's sixth form and they require 5 A*- Cs to do each A-level subject.

What choices do I have if I don't secure those grades?

Don't panic. it is not the end of the world.

Firstly, if you get a D then see how close you were to the C/D grade boundary - it may be worth paying for a re-mark in the hope the grade will go up. The cost varies between exam boards from around £23 to about £35 and you get a refund if the grade changes. (Talk to your current school's exam officer for the details).

Secondly, talk to the Head of 6th about what options are open to you - it depends heavily on your school and what they think of you so I can't offer much advice except be polite.

Lastly, Talk to the careers person who will almost certainly be hanging round on results Day waiting to help people who haven't got in.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
Don't panic. it is not the end of the world.

Firstly, if you get a D then see how close you were to the C/D grade boundary - it may be worth paying for a re-mark in the hope the grade will go up. The cost varies between exam boards from around £23 to about £35 and you get a refund if the grade changes. (Talk to your current school's exam officer for the details).

Secondly, talk to the Head of 6th about what options are open to you - it depends heavily on your school and what they think of you so I can't offer much advice except be polite.

Lastly, Talk to the careers person who will almost certainly be hanging round on results Day waiting to help people who haven't got in.

I'll try not too! :tongue:

Your first point, other students in my year have had the same problem about being 2 - 4 marks away from a C or the next grade up generally so hopefully if that happens in my case, they can do the same with me. I will speak to exams if that is the case or my subject teacher as they get a endlessly long spreadsheet sent to them with everyone's results in I gather! If they say they can't afford it, then I'll pay myself!

Secondly, this is an option open to me. My sixth form and its team are very keen to help as well as being quite unique, so I'm sure they will help out. I've been punctual and a good attender at school and not had major problems in terms behaviour in my education at all really. The teachers like me and think I work hard so hopefully they will also pipe up and help me out if the results aren't what I expect.

Our school does have a careers (formally connections) person so hopefully they will be around or able to talk to.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'd still appreciate any other people's thoughts on this.

Quick Reply

Latest