The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Could I be considered a place onto a Law course with two art-based A-Levels? (My other A-Level and AS are academic and essay-based subjects)
Original post by admbeatmaker
If anyone is able to offer some advice, could you please give me opinion on the following universities' reputations.

1. Reading v. UEA v. Lancaster
2. QMUL v. SOAS (Please, without the QM bandwagon)

Thanks,

Adam

Don't hold me to it, but in terms of general reputation, probably Lancaster/Reading/UEA. I'm not too sure on the reputation of the respective law departments, but I'd assume, it was similar, to the universities's general rep, however the rankings suggest that Reading may be over Lancaster for law.

I would place QMUL and SOAS on the same level. In all honesty, they're both solid universities in London, but not of the calibre of UCL/LSE/KCL.. I think a chose between, those two, should be dependent, on which course, you prefer and enviroment, due to them differing considerably.

Original post by Lennon.McCartney
Could I be considered a place onto a Law course with two art-based A-Levels? (My other A-Level and AS are academic and essay-based subjects)

It'd be more helpful, if you made your subjects known, but I'd presume, that you should be alright.
Reply 202
Haven't managed to read the whole of this thread so sorry if you've already discussed this. Is anyone here actually taking the LNAT and do you know what is considered a good score out of 42 for top unis? Thanks
Original post by BritainPersonified
Haven't quite decided yet to be honest, I'm thinking Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Sussex and maybe Robert Gordon because even though it may not be a 'top' university I love the idea of Aberdeen. I'm going to guess you're either a Law Student or about to become one (?) Where did you apply?

I'm going to Bristol University next year to do the postgrad conversion there. Good luck with your chosen unis, you have a good batch there. While Robert Gordon may not be particularly well-known as a university, it consistently seems to do well in league tables for law.
Original post by TurboCretin
I'm going to Bristol University next year to do the postgrad conversion there. Good luck with your chosen unis, you have a good batch there. While Robert Gordon may not be particularly well-known as a university, it consistently seems to do well in league tables for law.

Thanks, good luck on your Conversion Course :smile: The thing about Robert Gordon is that not only does it seem to do well in the league tables, they've got really good statistics on students being employed in their chosen field which is promising. Where did you go for your Undergraduate degree?
Original post by L-C
Haven't managed to read the whole of this thread so sorry if you've already discussed this. Is anyone here actually taking the LNAT and do you know what is considered a good score out of 42 for top unis? Thanks

20-25.
Original post by Apollo11
Are you foreign? I don't know why but I totally read that post with an accent. Maybe I'm just weird :biggrin:

what gave it away, was it the "im very scared for my english"?
Reply 207
I need some advice from anyone willing to give it.

The universities I want to apply to for law are:

Oxford
UCL
Nottingham
Newcastle
Leeds

The problem obviously is that they're all AAA (so no insurance really) and three of them are LNAT which would be problematic if I managed to flop on the LNAT. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any other good universities that I could possibly replace one of those five with. I just feel like I should choose one less LNAT uni really.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Junaid16
Don't hold me to it, but in terms of general reputation, probably Lancaster/Reading/UEA. I'm not too sure on the reputation of the respective law departments, but I'd assume, it was similar, to the universities's general rep, however the rankings suggest that Reading may be over Lancaster for law.

I would place QMUL and SOAS on the same level. In all honesty, they're both solid universities in London, but not of the calibre of UCL/LSE/KCL.. I think a chose between, those two, should be dependent, on which course, you prefer and enviroment, due to them differing considerably.

Thanks for the help!

I'm definitely still stuck on the Lancaster/Reading/UEA choices. I might also be a devil and throw Sussex into the mix on that one :rolleyes:

I'm probably leaning towards Reading out of those. How would you compare Sussex and Reading?

Original post by flavius11
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but in the last 2 years Lancaster has been in clearing for Law whilst none of the others you name have (I think...) so that suggests they are struggling to fill their places for whatever the reason... Reading has gone up the rankings absolutely loads in the last few years and does boast an impressive graduate employment rate, as well as helpfully being AAB! Though tbh none of the unis you've named are bad at all so maybe go and have a look at each of them and see where you can see yourself being for 3 yrs- being happy really is the most important thing :smile: Hope this helps

Thanks for your help as well!

Yeh, Lancaster being in clearing, for an AAA uni is probably an indication that it doesn't have the greatest rep for law, nor is it the most attractive place for law students.

I'm definitely leaning towards Reading now, and like i've mentioned above, how would you compare Reading and Sussex?

Adam
Original post by TFS
I need some advice from anyone willing to give it.

The universities I want to apply to for law are:

Oxford
UCL
Nottingham
Newcastle
Leeds

The problem obviously is that they're all AAA (so no insurance really) and three of them are LNAT which would be problematic if I managed to flop on the LNAT. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any other good universities that I could possibly replace one of those five with. I just feel like I should choose one less LNAT uni really.

Thanks in advance.

If in the same position, I would probably put something in at AAB (most, if not all AAB law schools don't require the LNAT).

Perhaps one of these:

Reading
UEA
Sussex

Adam
Original post by BritainPersonified
Thanks, good luck on your Conversion Course :smile: The thing about Robert Gordon is that not only does it seem to do well in the league tables, they've got really good statistics on students being employed in their chosen field which is promising. Where did you go for your Undergraduate degree?

UCL
Reply 211
Hi all,

I am a 2012 appliciant and hoping to study Law at University. I am aiming for BBB grades and would like to get your opinion on the following universities:

-Oxford Brookes
-Keele
-Glamorgan
-UWE
-Portsmouth

Any further uni's that you would recommend?

Any feedback would be great as I am unsure of what to do!
Reply 212
Original post by flavius11
At the risk of sounding like I work for them- Exeter is worth a look. Southampton and York might interest you aswell (though are both AAA admittadly); particulary York because they have a very modern and different approach to teaching Law to other unis (they only set up their Law school a few years ago) which you may well find appeals to you more. Hope that helps a bit :smile:

If in the same position, I would probably put something in at AAB (most, if not all AAB law schools don't require the LNAT).

Perhaps one of these:

Reading
UEA
Sussex

Adam

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 213
One quick question. If i'm sitting the LNAT. Do I have to have sat the actual exam before I can send off my UCAS or can I send off my UCAS application and then sit it? (As long as I'm within the relevant deadlines obviously)
Reply 214
Keele s a great uni, it's my firm, but you won't get in with BBB. You need 360 points including at least one A and B to be accepted so :/
I can relate with a lot of people who have said they're aren't as clever or in better words don't have as much potential to reach the high grades that some people state they want such as A*AA etc.

I think I could possibly achieve AAA, however I think realistically I have potential to get AAB if I work as hard as I can however I will still apply to some AAA universities because I may get lucky. I'm still not leaving out that I may get grades such as ABB-BBB if I struggle or something, however I don't imagine I would do worse. As for my AS's which I get the results back this August like the rest of you, I think I could get AAAC which is aiming high but I don't think I'd get less than ABBD. The last grade is in english language although its a possibility if I do well in the exam I could get a B.

I've just done AS's, the 4 subjects being Business Studies, English Language, ICT and Double business studies (which most of you wont know, is the business double award so I don't just get a single business studies award I'd get a double award. Double business studies is counted as a whole different subject. However on my results I think it would say E.G. (if these were my grades) Business studies double award - AA, because I think it would probably show the single business studies and double business studies together as its I'm doing double award. Anyway this is just so all of you usual maths, history and science fanatics understand what double business studies is. I am undecided as to what I want to drop, will have to see after I get my results.

Also I should add I've just done work experience in a Law Firm which was great, and hopefully at the end of the summer I will be shadowing a barrister.

Universities I am considering at the moment are;
City University London or Leeds
Reading
Kent
Nottingham Trent
(not too sure for my insurance, maybe UWE or leeds met?)

Anyway to the point, do you think these are realistic approaches I have made?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by krussel
I can relate with a lot of people who have said they're aren't as clever or in better words don't have as much potential to reach the high grades that some people state they want such as A*AA etc.

I think I could possibly achieve AAA, however I think realistically I have potential to get AAB if I work as hard as I can however I will still apply to some AAA universities because I may get lucky. I'm still not leaving out that I may get grades such as ABB-BBB if I struggle or something, however I don't imagine I would do worse. As for my AS's which I get the results back this August like the rest of you, I think I could get AAAC which is aiming high but I don't think I'd get less than ABBD. The last grade is in english language although its a possibility if I do well in the exam I could get a B.

I've just done AS's, the 4 subjects being Business Studies, English Language, ICT and Double business studies (which most of you wont know, is the business double award so I don't just get a single business studies award I'd get a double award. Double business studies is counted as a whole different subject. However on my results I think it would say E.G. (if these were my grades) Business studies double award - AA, because I think it would probably show the single business studies and double business studies together as its I'm doing double award. Anyway this is just so all of you usual maths, history and science fanatics understand what double business studies is. I am undecided as to what I want to drop, will have to see after I get my results.

Also I should add I've just done work experience in a Law Firm which was great, and hopefully at the end of the summer I will be shadowing a barrister.

Universities I am considering at the moment are;
City University London or Leeds
Reading
Kent
Nottingham Trent
(not too sure for my insurance, maybe UWE or leeds met?)

Anyway to the point, do you think these are realistic approaches I have made?

For an AAA uni, I and most will tell you not to consider City; it just isn't quite that standard. I would definitely opt for Leeds. It's a Russell Group law school which is highly respected. Reading and Kent are also respected law schools.
For an AAA uni, I and most will tell you not to consider City; it just isn't quite that standard. I would definitely opt for Leeds. It's a Russell Group law school which is highly respected. Reading and Kent are also respected law schools.

Yeah, however there a few things that Leeds states that puts me off ' Grades must be obtained in one sitting as a first attempt. ' I don't want to re-sit anything, and I'm not planning to but if I do worse in my AS's than I thought then it might be I re-sit certain modules or coursework. Although they don't state AS requirements just A levels...so that may just be for A levels.

Also it says, 'We also expect applicants for LLB Law to have obtained a substantial number of GCSE passes at a high standard.' I mean I did do well on my GCSEs, not as well as others on this but I think I got something like; A*AABBBCC and double distinction star in Btec business studies. Question is, are they good enough for Leeds?

Then 'Normally 3 good A levels or equivalent', would they consider what I study 'good' ?

I hope to choose Leeds as an option though, it is a very good university I just hope I meet all those requirements I stated.
Reply 218
Hey, I'm planning on applying to:

KCL
UCL
Queen Mary
Sussex
Surrey

However I'm a bit put off from applying to KCL and a bit for UCL because of my GCSE results. I got A*AAAAAAABBCC... do those two unis pay much attention to GCSE results and are my GCSE results too bad to apply for the two unis (especially KCL)?
Original post by Harry.K
Hey, I'm planning on applying to:

KCL
UCL
Queen Mary
Sussex
Surrey

However I'm a bit put off from applying to KCL and a bit for UCL because of my GCSE results. I got A*AAAAAAABBCC... do those two unis pay much attention to GCSE results and are my GCSE results too bad to apply for the two unis (especially KCL)?

I think KCL and Queen Mary will be the only ones to look at your GCSES intensely out of them, but even still they are good grades for GCSE don't feel threatened by the straight A*/A students on here :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest