The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laddu
for anyone who's done the e-tray, are they reusing the scenario set in an asian country recovering from a natural disaster again?

No. :cool:
Reply 481
Original post by Terrafire
No. :cool:

good. would be nice if they didn't keep reusing questions in the verbal and numerical tests too.
What kind of areas have people prepared as their strongest topic for the EAC?
I failed the first set of online tests. In the practice I got over 80% in both, and I swear I got 100% in the numerical test. Confused!
Dear Nick

Thank you for your message regarding the online selection tests.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide in-depth feedback or advice to candidates on the online selection tests as this could give candidates an unfair advantage should they reapply in the future.

We can however provide the following for each of the 3 tests:

When undertaking the Verbal selection test, you performed better than 41% of candidates who have taken this test as part of an application to the Fast Stream.

When undertaking the Numerical selection test, you performed better than 82% of candidates.

When undertaking the Competency Questionnaire, you performed better than 5% of candidates.

So that's where I went wrong. Wtf are they looking for. I prefer questions with an answer :rolleyes:
Reply 485
Original post by little_wizard123
Dear Nick

Thank you for your message regarding the online selection tests.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide in-depth feedback or advice to candidates on the online selection tests as this could give candidates an unfair advantage should they reapply in the future.

We can however provide the following for each of the 3 tests:

When undertaking the Verbal selection test, you performed better than 41% of candidates who have taken this test as part of an application to the Fast Stream.

When undertaking the Numerical selection test, you performed better than 82% of candidates.

When undertaking the Competency Questionnaire, you performed better than 5% of candidates.

So that's where I went wrong. Wtf are they looking for. I prefer questions with an answer :rolleyes:

That sucks... I don't think anybody really knows what they're looking for in the competency test, given that most of the options you're choosing from are key competencies. I tried to answer as honestly as possible rather than guessing what they'd want to hear; I imagine one of the main things they look for is consistency in your answers.

P.S: How many questions did you all have to answer for the competency test? Mine was about 30 but I've heard some people saying they had about 100!?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SameOld
That sucks... I don't think anybody really knows what they're looking for in the competency test, given that most of the options you're choosing from are key competencies. I tried to answer as honestly as possible rather than guessing what they'd want to hear; I imagine one of the main things they look for is consistency in your answers.

P.S: How many questions did you all have to answer for the competency test? Mine was about 30 but I've heard some people saying they had about 100!?

Yeah, I tried to be consistent and honest. I didn't do amazingly in the verbal reasoning but I thought my numerical result (I had like 1/3 of the time left at the end as well) would've been enough. Until I saw the competency results!

They said 112 questions. Annoying.
Reply 487
e-tray in brum tomorrow. failed it last year. this is apparently the most difficult stage statistically, when the highest proportion of candidates are eliminated.

brass balls...
Reply 488
Original post by petergambrill
In preparing your technical and "plain English" reports for the EAC, what kind of word limit did you give yourself, given you only have 30min to write it on the day?

The way I prepared for it was to have 3/4 main points that I wanted to mention. 3 key ones that I needed to get down to answer the question in enough detail and 1 to give it a bit of individuality at the end. However I told myself that I'd only use that last point if I had enough time to get it down. When your adrenaline is running you tend to get more than you think you would get down as you've probably experienced before.

The other way of course is to plan a structure and try to write as much as you can in 30 mins...

The key point, and something they probably have emphasised to you, is the "plain English" report is all about communicating ideas really simply - I know that sounds obvious. Analogies will gain you lots of points - I think I likened GDP to baking a loaf of bread and multiplier effects to dropping a pebble in a pond.

Best of luck!!
Reply 489
I dont know what is wrong with me! I cannot do the maths tests at all..i do fine on verbal but i totally mess up the maths - i havnt done maths since GCSE and for the practice tests i got 4 /15 (yes 4!!) :frown: Thats because i only got time to answer about 6...argh! So unfair.
I haven't done my tests yet, and was wondering whether they're SHL ones?
Original post by rainbow drops
I haven't done my tests yet, and was wondering whether they're SHL ones?

Nope. Just civil service ones as far as I know.
Reply 492
i didn't get time to answer one of the emails in my e-tray (exactly like last year, even though i set out precisely to avoid this happening again...). anyone know if it's even possible to progress if you don't answer them all?

even if it is possible, i feel quite sure i failed: had to rush about three email responses, pretty much guessed the answers.

i am just no good at this e-tray, simply do not have the skill they're testing for. oh well; good luck to everyone else.
Reply 493
Original post by Laddu
i didn't get time to answer one of the emails in my e-tray (exactly like last year, even though i set out precisely to avoid this happening again...). anyone know if it's even possible to progress if you don't answer them all?

I wouldn't worry if you think you did well enough on the other questions. It was just one email.

Did you guess at responses to the last one?

I was told by someone who has previously passed that it is marked so that you receive a point for a correct reponse to 'most' and 'least' appropriate responses, but that the other two represent suboptimal 'most' and 'least' appropriate options, and they are worth 1/2 a point each if you choose one in place of the better answer.
Reply 494
Original post by balders
I wouldn't worry if you think you did well enough on the other questions. It was just one email.

Did you guess at responses to the last one?

I was told by someone who has previously passed that it is marked so that you receive a point for a correct reponse to 'most' and 'least' appropriate responses, but that the other two represent suboptimal 'most' and 'least' appropriate options, and they are worth 1/2 a point each if you choose one in place of the better answer.

thanks for the info. i guessed at one or two, and one went completely unanswered.

doesn't matter. it's comforting to know that the people i'm paying my taxes for can respond to emails very quickly... :cool:
Reply 495
Has anyone heard back from the NI Fast Stream. I haven't heard a thing and I applied on the 29th September!! Kind of sticking with the mantra "no news is good news" but its a pain waiting lol
Reply 496
Hi Everyone,

Just in case you ever have any questions, want to talk to a current fast streamer or find out more about working in the Fast Stream. There is a new Fast Stream Facebook page with a daily Q&A session with a current Fast Streamer.

Its particuarly useful if you want any advice etc for E-trays/ Assessment centres.

Good luck with all your applications! I was in your position last year so I know how your feeling.

The page is:

www.facebook.com/faststream :smile:
Can you take the verbal and numerical tests separately? I want to do the verbal ones now and ideally take the numerical ones another day. It says you can take a 'break' between the tests on the site but I don't know whether that means a small break in the same session or whether you can actually log out and do it another time. Don't want to begin until I know for sure.
Reply 498
I don't know what the initial pass mark is for the eTray exercise but I'd have thought it's pretty high (85+%) although I'd guess it's set based on how many people have passed. From the stats I've seen only around 20% of people who complete the eTray are invited to the FSAC.
Original post by RudeBoy
I don't know what the initial pass mark is for the eTray exercise but I'd have thought it's pretty high (85+%) although I'd guess it's set based on how many people have passed. From the stats I've seen only around 20% of people who complete the eTray are invited to the FSAC.

From the ones I saw it was around 3,300 to E tray and then 1100 AC so around a third? Mind you this was about 2008/2009ish.

Quick Reply