The Student Room Group

Unpopular Football Opinions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Bowman.Hath
Rooney is massively over-rated. Good player, but not one of the best in the World.

Was about to mention this.

Jamie Redknapp described Wayne Rooney as "unplayable" the other day. Hmm, Messi is unplayable - not Rooney! :rolleyes:
Reply 81
Original post by Jordan_1
You never actually watch Argentina play do you? Let me guess you think because Messi isn't scoring a lot for them you think he's playing badly? :rolleyes:

I never said that because he doesnt score goals that he is playing bad, although 19 goals in 66 caps isnt a great record. Messi has a goals/games ratio of 0.71 but only 0.29 at international level. He has only scored 1 world cup goal,which was in 2006, and normally only scores against smaller international teams. He does not run past 5 or 6 defenders as easily with argentina, or as frequent as he does with Barca. He also doesnt set up as many goals with Argentina either.
Original post by michaelhaych
If Harry Redknapp had won the Premier League with Southampton, Portsmouth or West Ham he'd be considered to be one of the greatest managers of all time.

Be realistic. Those teams performed much better under him than under other managers and that's the most you can expect from any manager.

Kenny Dalglish won the league with Blackburn, that wont ever happen again. But is Dalglish considered one of the best managers of all time?
Reply 83
Original post by Femto
Was about to mention this.

Jamie Redknapp described Wayne Rooney as "unplayable" the other day. Hmm, Messi is unplayable - not Rooney! :rolleyes:

In terms of strikers, there arent many better than him is there?
Reply 84
Original post by chrissy_h
I never said that because he doesnt score goals that he is playing bad, although 19 goals in 66 caps isnt a great record. Messi has a goals/games ratio of 0.71 but only 0.29 at international level. He has only scored 1 world cup goal,which was in 2006, and normally only scores against smaller international teams. He does not run past 5 or 6 defenders as easily with argentina, or as frequent as he does with Barca. He also doesnt set up as many goals with Argentina either.

You know why he scores the amount of goals he does for Argentina? Because he is basically a midfielder for Argentina...

Messi was the best player of Argentina at World Cup 2010. He had the most deliveries to penalty area than any other Argentinean player, most solo runs , most tackles suffered and most passes. Without him, Argentina probably wouldn’t even made it from group stage
Reply 85
I honestly believe that there are no biased referees, and that all their incorrect decisions are accidental.
Reply 86
Original post by Dbrown18
In terms of strikers, there arent many better than him is there?

David Villa, Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie Gomez, Eto? Aguero and Suarez I could argue are better than him purely as a striker.
Original post by Mess.
I agree with this and peddle both of these comments about at least once a week :awesome:

:smile: Glad to hear it. I expected neg from the naysayers saying 'But then the game would be ruined!' as though it's not currently...
Original post by Bowman.Hath
Rooney is massively over-rated. Good player, but not one of the best in the World.

Wayne Rooney is the only reason United are up there this year in the premier league, you people don't understand football.. all you see is the goal and the celebration.
Original post by tommm
I honestly believe that there are no biased referees, and that all their incorrect decisions are accidental.

Seconded. I'm a Chelsea fan and after the Manchester United game last week I got into some fairly heated arguments with 'fans' on Facebook calling Webb Manchester United's twelfth man. I think that referees aren't biased, they're just incompetent.
Original post by forex
Agreed. Hate to say it, but he is probably within the world top 3 bracket.

I instantly disagreed, but I put my mind to it and the only two I can think of who are categorically better are Neuer and Casillas. There are also arguments to be made for Cech (not on current form, obviously) and Valdes...

EDIT: Just remembered Lloris and Buffon. Hence, Hart isn't in the top three. Maybe top five or ten.

EDIT 2: And Reina.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
David Villa, Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie Gomez, Eto? Aguero and Suarez I could argue are better than him purely as a striker.

Rooney > Suarez, Eto, Gomez, Villa & Aguero. RVP is a better striker but Rooney is better player overall for a team. RVP sitll edges it overall imo though
Original post by JGR
It really doesn't matter who the England manager is, or whether some irrelevant player allegedly made a racist comment/whatever.

Couldn't agree more. Also:

There are far, far more important things to worry about both in football and in the world than whether two grown men spend a fraction of a second shaking hands or not.
Reply 93
Original post by Tommyjw
Rooney > Suarez, Eto, Gomez, Villa & Aguero. RVP is a better striker but Rooney is better player overall for a team. RVP sitll edges it overall imo though

Sorry you think Rooney is a better striker than Mario Gomez who has scored 27 goals in 30 games this season and 39 goals in 45 games last season? In a league more competitive than the Premier League mind you.

Rooney is too inconsistent to be considered the best striker.
Reply 94
Sorry you think Rooney is a better striker than Mario Gomez who has scored 27 goals in 30 games this season and 39 goals in 45 games last season? In a league more competitive than the Premier League mind you.

Never specified striker. He is a better player.
Reply 95
Original post by Tommyjw
Never specified striker. He is a better player.

So why did you specify RVP only as a better striker?

There's more to a player than just scoring goals. Gomez is more of a poacher. Whereas Rooney can dictate play at times.
Reply 97

:lol:
Reply 98
So why did you specify RVP only as a better striker?

Because i noted that Rooney is better than him in other areas, but purely because of RVP ability as a striker i think he just edges it in terms of who is better.
Joe Hart will be remebered as an all time great at the end of his career.

Quick Reply

Latest