Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Brighton Primary PGCE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but there's a 99% chance I'll be applying this September 2012 to do the Primary PGCE for 2013 entry at Brighton, and I have some questions which I can't find the answer to on the Brighton University website.

a) What is the application/interview process? Is it a single or group interview? Do you have to do presentations?

b) It says something about 4 weeks work experience being necessary, but that you only have to complete 50% of the necessary...so two weeks? I plan to have at least 3 weeks, if not 4, but still, what's the official minimum?

c) Aimed at guys really, did you mention anything about being male on your statement? It says they welcome applications from males (and people from ethnic minorities, something else I satisfy)...is there anyway it can be slipped in to make them more likely to offer an interview... : S

d) Is it quite a hard place to get into? I know it's competitive everywhere, but is it Brighton particularly competitve? Won't change my putting it as my first choice, but it'd be good to know in any case.

Help on any of the above would be great!
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 21
Just found out today i got in! Thanks for your replies, see you in september!
Original post by Jabawocci
Hi,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but there's a 99% chance I'll be applying this September 2012 to do the Primary PGCE for 2013 entry at Brighton, and I have some questions which I can't find the answer to on the Brighton University website.

a) What is the application/interview process? Is it a single or group interview? Do you have to do presentations?

b) It says something about 4 weeks work experience being necessary, but that you only have to complete 50% of the necessary...so two weeks? I plan to have at least 3 weeks, if not 4, but still, what's the official minimum?

c) Aimed at guys really, did you mention anything about being male on your statement? It says they welcome applications from males (and people from ethnic minorities, something else I satisfy)...is there anyway it can be slipped in to make them more likely to offer an interview... : S

d) Is it quite a hard place to get into? I know it's competitive everywhere, but is it Brighton particularly competitve? Won't change my putting it as my first choice, but it'd be good to know in any case.

Help on any of the above would be great!

Hey,

Hope I can answer some of your questions!

The interview day is split into 3 parts:

1) Written test.
2)Presentation. You get given a list of questions to choose from when you get your invitation to interview. You do it in front of 6ish other applicants and one or two tutors.
3)Individual interview. Mine was around twenty minutes and was with a head teacher. I wouldn't say it was easy but it was less scary than I expected!

Yeah, I think their minimum requirement is 2 weeks, email them if you're unsure.

Not a guy so can't really answer!

From what I understand yes, it is very popular and over subscribed, it's rated outstanding and I assume Brighton is a popular place in general.

Best advice is to get yourself a subscription to the TES now and read it weekly so you'll be up to date on issues. Keep abreast of education news from other sources too. Get as much experience as you can in schools and with children in other ways such as cubs/scouts, volunteering for children's charities.

Good luck if you go for it! It sounded like an amazing course from the interview day, can't wait for September!
Reply 23
Original post by Possible_Teacher
Hey,

Hope I can answer some of your questions!

The interview day is split into 3 parts:

1) Written test.
2)Presentation. You get given a list of questions to choose from when you get your invitation to interview. You do it in front of 6ish other applicants and one or two tutors.
3)Individual interview. Mine was around twenty minutes and was with a head teacher. I wouldn't say it was easy but it was less scary than I expected!

Yeah, I think their minimum requirement is 2 weeks, email them if you're unsure.

Not a guy so can't really answer!

From what I understand yes, it is very popular and over subscribed, it's rated outstanding and I assume Brighton is a popular place in general.

Best advice is to get yourself a subscription to the TES now and read it weekly so you'll be up to date on issues. Keep abreast of education news from other sources too. Get as much experience as you can in schools and with children in other ways such as cubs/scouts, volunteering for children's charities.

Good luck if you go for it! It sounded like an amazing course from the interview day, can't wait for September!

That's all very helpful, thankyou.
Reply 24
Does anyone know how we apply for the bursary based on degree classification? I've sorted out the rest of the finance form but I guess we don't really need a maintenance loan if we are paid the bursary monthly?

Clare x
Reply 25
If you go to the brighton uni education homepage its all up there. It just says how much you'll get and how to apply. I didn't realise we would get it monthly? Surely the busary would be split into three and we get it along with our loans? I'm not sure if I made any sense? X
Reply 26
Hi Everyone!!

Just found out I got accepted for the course too ( feb 21st interviews) I applied for Hastings ( I'm from Ireland and had no idea Hastings was so far away from Brighton!) anyway I got lucky because the Hastings course is being held in Falmer this year because hastings has poor facilities and student were travelling up to Falmer for resources etc. the only difference is we will have to travel toward Hastings for our placements.

Just wondering have any of you sorted accommodation at all? I know it's very early to try to sort as yet but as mentioned I'm Irish, have no idea of locations ( safe clean etc) I'm doing my best to research it online but word of mouth is always better!

Any information is most welcome, I'd also love to live with people who are doing the PGCE course.

Thanks in advance!
Aoifé
Hi Aoife. I am from Northern Ireland looking for somewhere to live in Brighton. I will be based in Brighton for the Primary pgce but like you have no idea about location, good/bad areas etc. I saw somewhere that there is a website called spareroom.co.uk that advertises rooms but again not sure in location etc.:smile:
Original post by MelissaLC
hello there! i am unsure if any of you got my last message! i am also starting a pgce in brighton this september! i was wondering if any of you were looking into house sharing at all?

I am tidy friendly easy going girl:smile: and would like a calm but fun place to live in order to do my pgce!

please email me ( [Mod note: Email removed, please use private messages to exchange contact details]) or add me on facebook (Melissa carter ( bath spa) if you wish to chat or get to know me better, or if you know of anyone in the same position!

Thank you.x

Hi Melissa. I am coming over from NI to do my primary pgce. I am looking for somewhere to live. Like you I am tidy, friendly and easy going...and need somewhere thats quiet to learn but also fun. If you have nothing sorted I let me know and we could maybe try and gather a few more. :smile:
Reply 29
Hi Aoife,
I think I was in your presentation group. I did a presentation on professionalism and I got on the course as well. Once you accepted on the GTTR website does anyone know what the next steps are?
Ben
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Thanks for the link Leah! I emailed the Uni yesterday and they told me that we'll be getting our reading list/ CRB stuff in May and that we apply for the bursary during the induction week in Sept.

Clare
Reply 31
Hello All,

Well done to all the more recent people who have found out they got on the course! GTTR is now saying the course is full so that must be the last of us! Well done all of us!
Thats interesting news about the Hastings group coming to study at Famer. Its a shame if it means you guys have to travel further but great that we will all be together :-) I met some people at my interview who wanted Hastings so be great to see those faces again :-)
Thanks for the news about when we are getting our reading lists etc. Its so exciting I just can't wait. Although right now I am suffering slightly with dissertation madness as in final year of undergrad! Look forward to meeting you all in Sept ;-)
Laura x
Hey all!

Im new this whole forum thing so not sure if im doing this right haha

I also got in to do my PGCE 3-7 and will be looking for somewhere to live next year. I met a girl on my interview who seems keen to share a house as well so prehaps we could all team together to look? I am also a clean, tidy and easy going person.

Also thanks for the update about getting all the info and reading lists etc, I was getting worried that I hadn't heard anything from them since getting in.

Looking forward to september :smile:
xxx
Reply 33
Original post by benmr
Hi Aoife,
I think I was in your presentation group. I did a presentation on professionalism and I got on the course as well. Once you accepted on the GTTR website does anyone know what the next steps are?
Ben

Hi Ben, thats great, well done!! I remember that very professional poster alright :biggrin:

I emailed Brighton admissions because when I got the letter confirming a place on the course it was the Falmer course code, it turns out they changed my course code on the day and im now in the falmer campus which I'm delighted with.

when I mailed the replied with the following info:

The Course Leader will be sending out pre-course information and a reading list soon- it is sent out to the incoming cohort around May time. Registry will also be sending you a CRB form and Health questionnaire to complete and again this is usually sent in May.

The term dates for the PGCE Primary course for 2012 entry are:

PGCE PRIMARY 2012-2013

Autumn Term: Monday 3rd September 2012- Thursday 20th December 2012

Spring Term: Monday 7th January 2013 March 29th 2013

Summer Term: Monday 15th April 2013- Friday 28th June 2013

Hope this helps!!:smile: looking forward to seeing a familiar face in Sept
Reply 34
Original post by shareenmurphy86
Hi Aoife. I am from Northern Ireland looking for somewhere to live in Brighton. I will be based in Brighton for the Primary pgce but like you have no idea about location, good/bad areas etc. I saw somewhere that there is a website called spareroom.co.uk that advertises rooms but again not sure in location etc.:smile:

Hey Shareen! sorry only seeing this message now, I thought i'd be sent an email if someone replied on this thread, just happened to come back on tonight to see if there was anymore PGCE info..

Have you had any luck with house/housemates? I keep telling myself Ive loads of time but its creeping up pretty quickly! its a big move across the pond but im sure we'll be fine! Have you any plans to go over looking? Ive looked at websites like spareroom and gum tree, all the houses seem so expensive :eek:

I think living with a few housemates is probably the best option pricewise but I dont want complete maddess either (i'm planning on being a nerd for 9 months- my plans dont usually work out though LOL)

I'd def be interested in seeing if we could possibly find a place with others, I'll start putting some more effort into the planning and see what I come across.

Anybody else who is interested ( or could help with areas etc) feel free to comment/mail!

Thanks
Me too..im like its 5 months away its fine but time is going so fast! I have been looking on spareroom etc also but like you said the rooms are expensive! Would need to make a trip over at some stage to sort something. Are you going to go over? Yeah, ill start making more of an effort also and see what happens. Ill pm you my email address. :smile:
Has everyone received their pre course information today? It's making it feel very, very real!
Reply 37
Hi! Yes received mine today! Was nice to finallt have a congratulations from them following the gttr update! Yes it does feel much more real now and looks like we have busy summers ahead of us! I didn't realise we would have all these writing tasks to complete before the course starts but it will help in getting us prepared! Seriously can't wait! It's exciting but quite daunting too! Going to be a tough year! Xxx
Reply 38
Congratulations everyone! I am also starting the Primary 5-11 PGCE in September...think a few of you were on the same interview day actually!

Just wondering if anyone is still looking for a house share in Brighton?

Susie
Reply 39
Original post by CharlotteGSY
Hey all!

Im new this whole forum thing so not sure if im doing this right haha

I also got in to do my PGCE 3-7 and will be looking for somewhere to live next year. I met a girl on my interview who seems keen to share a house as well so prehaps we could all team together to look? I am also a clean, tidy and easy going person.

Also thanks for the update about getting all the info and reading lists etc, I was getting worried that I hadn't heard anything from them since getting in.

Looking forward to september :smile:
xxx

Hi all, and Hi Charlotte,
I'm doing the 3-7 course aswell!!

What area is everyone thinking of living?

I dont know whether to live near the uni or live near the beach? Kemp town sounds cool.

It's getting scary close now! excited but nervous about the workload!
xx

Quick Reply

Latest