The Student Room Group

Southampton Nursing???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I am really worried about the group discussion and english, no idea what will be asked :s-smilie:

I am from Ireland but I am travelling from Liverpool as I am studying here at the minute.. you?
Reply 61
:smile:
Reply 62
there are 3 english questions, just one is about the policies and it asks about skills involved regarding nurses. there is a question on experience and one on factors that influence health choices. the group discussion questions are about nursing and the issues surrounding them there role their skills etc. for example my groups question (i was the only one doing the dual adult and child nursing) was what is the role of a childs nurse. I heard another group had what are the socio-economic issues surrounding nurses. You will be fine! Everyone was really friendly and the day goes by really fast, just try to be confident and speak out as well as show your listening skills. Good luck xxx
Reply 63
Original post by Bro_Bro
What do you mean know about nurses? I have no idea what is going to come up in the discussion or what I will have to know regarding the policies!!! so nervous!!!! :s-smilie:

sorry forgot to quote you look above xx
Original post by Sasharutt
Hi lucie :smile: I've also got an interview at Southampton on Wednesday for the dual (adult and child) course! I have had exactly the same problem with my gsce certificates as I moved house and they've been misplaced! I rang Southampton up and they said not to worry I will just need them if I get an offer, phew! I'm so nervous...
I've been looking up the current issues within the nhs but it's so much harder explaining it than it is to read up on! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is nervous! X

Hey Sasha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm not gonna lie im slightly freaking out lol Ive done so much prep work, but I feel like ive prepared with the wrong stuff. I've looked up alot with the whole 'shake up' issue but thats so big at the moment and I don't really know what else to look at!! Is this your first interview, maybe we can swap emails? Would be great to know someone on the day! what time do you need to be there? x
Reply 65
Original post by luciestudent
Hey Sasha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm not gonna lie im slightly freaking out lol Ive done so much prep work, but I feel like ive prepared with the wrong stuff. I've looked up alot with the whole 'shake up' issue but thats so big at the moment and I don't really know what else to look at!! Is this your first interview, maybe we can swap emails? Would be great to know someone on the day! what time do you need to be there? x

Really don't worry, I know that easier said than done as I'm already at Southampton but it's really relaxed and the staff are lovely, esp the admissions tutor Jim Bird. They know that everyone's nervous. I know this sounds odd but it was a fun interview and i really enjoyed it. You really will be fine. Good luck.
Reply 66
Original post by luciestudent

I know what you mean me too!! This is my second and have a third next week.. I feel exactly the same ahh I'm so nervous! Yes that's a brilliant idea :smile: my email is; [email protected] email me! I'm driving so I'm getting there really early! Mine says to be there for half 8?Where are you going from to get there? I will feel so much better for knowing someone :smile: xx
you have mail :smile:
Reply 68
it was a really nice interview, you dont need to know too much other than what a nurses role and skills are, just general things you should know before you get into nursing :smile: i went for the dual course but just firmed an offer for the child course, so even if they like you but you dont get on the dual course they might offer you a place on a different course, good luck! xx
Reply 69
Hi all,

These are the books I've found useful so far (2 terms in of year 1). Soton won't give you a reading list, it's try as you buy. :smile:

Clinical Nursing Skills: Core and Advanced [Paperback]
Ruth Endacott (Editor), Phil Jevon (Editor), Simon Cooper (Editor)

Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology with Essentials of Interactive Physiology CD-ROM
Elaine N. Marieb
OR
Human Anatomy and Physiology with Interactive Physiology 10-System Suite
Elaine N. Marieb, Katja N. Hoehn

Nursing Calculations (8th Edition)
John D. Gatford, Nicole Phillips

Anatomy and Physiology Coloring Workbook: A Complete Study Guide
Elaine N. Marieb

Hope you find it useful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello everyone!

Was just wondering whether anyone who went to the soton selection day on the 7th of March has heard anything? I haven't head anything yet :s Not sure if it is a good or a bad thing! :smile:
Reply 71
Hey Everyone!!

Just letting all of you that gave me advice know, that it helped, found out today that I got on to the dual adult and childrens course!! I am soooo ecstatic !! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Can't believe I actually got in with so few placesssss!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE !! Hope you all get where you want too and I will maybe be seeing some of you in September!!! :smile:))
Reply 72
Original post by Bro_Bro
Hey Everyone!!

Just letting all of you that gave me advice know, that it helped, found out today that I got on to the dual adult and childrens course!! I am soooo ecstatic !! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Can't believe I actually got in with so few placesssss!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE !! Hope you all get where you want too and I will maybe be seeing some of you in September!!! :smile:))

I have been offered a place on the dual too!!! I was at the selection day on the 7th, has anyone else been offered a place on the dual adult and children's course
Reply 73
Well done to the people that have got onto the dual field course, i havent got much further to go for this year on the dual field program and have enjoyed it so far.
Reply 74
Original post by fox1993
Well done to the people that have got onto the dual field course, i havent got much further to go for this year on the dual field program and have enjoyed it so far.

What is this course like? do we need to prepare much in advance? I have a three year old so need some advice on preparing and stuff! Where can i get all this info? If it is easier and you don't mind can you email me some info as i am totally lost on what i need to do!!! [Removed - please use PMs or post here] Or if anyone else can help out i would really appreciate it x
Reply 75
Well there is two people in my group that have children and manage to cope well, the only thing is when you go on placement that you do long days but the uni will work with you etc. As my year was the first i didnt prepare anything and have been fine so far. They are preparing a website that closer to the time they will give you access to a website with pre course stuff, they havent totally finished it yet though. But they are improving each year and making things better. Are you moving into a house or uni accommodation?
Reply 76
Original post by kprince5
What is this course like? do we need to prepare much in advance? I have a three year old so need some advice on preparing and stuff! Where can i get all this info? If it is easier and you don't mind can you email me some info as i am totally lost on what i need to do!!! [Removed - please use PMs or post here] Or if anyone else can help out i would really appreciate it x

I've put up a list of books at post #70. You could always run though the drugs calcs in prep as you'll need to get 100% in this exam.
Reply 77
thanks x
Reply 78
If u have anymore questions just ask
Reply 79
Hiya I am new to TSR. I had an interview on 22nd March and I have just been offered a place at Southampton to study Adult Nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest