The Student Room Group

The Field Hockey Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Atherilia
it is a new initiative by England hockey, same 4/5 a side games on a small pitch, fast and furious, indoors or outdoors. Should be fun.

Sounds it. My best hockey has always been on a smaller pitch against and with fewer players.

Maybe because I can touch the ball that way. :tongue:

It's one reason I'm looking forward to the Old Boys day, and the Mixed Tourny day as they'll be on smaller pitches.
Reply 241
Seeing as i'm hoping to start playing again next season after a few years away, does anyone know where/if you can still get hold of wooden sticks? I've tried a few of these newfangled composite things, and just don't get on with them, I find them far too stiff and totally lacking 'feel'. Id still be using my old Wasp, but too many games on sandy astro's has left it a bit worn down!

Edit: having looked around a bit all I can find seem to be 'entry level' sticks, which won't do, i need a 37" stick that i can bend!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 242
Original post by mczakk
Seeing as i'm hoping to start playing again next season after a few years away, does anyone know where/if you can still get hold of wooden sticks? I've tried a few of these newfangled composite things, and just don't get on with them, I find them far too stiff and totally lacking 'feel'. Id still be using my old Wasp, but too many games on sandy astro's has left it a bit worn down!

Edit: having looked around a bit all I can find seem to be 'entry level' sticks, which won't do, i need a 37" stick that i can bend!

http://www.barringtonsports.com/products/2/style/malik_pegasus_1_wooden_hockey_stick_2007/5481/view

I know a few good players who like this stick good quality and wooden, and it is a 37.5" so should be fine height wise for yourself.
Reply 243
http://www.barringtonsports.com/products/2/style/malik_pegasus_1_wooden_hockey_stick_2007/5481/view

I know a few good players who like this stick good quality and wooden, and it is a 37.5" so should be fine height wise for yourself.

Thanks :colone: it does have a laminated head though, not my favourite! Looks like I'm too old school for this game nowadays!

Ever since I looked on that site, all the ads on other sites have been from Barrington Sports.

I think it is the tracking cookies, either way that is quite scary that it can do that.

Our team won our Varsity about two weeks ago now as well. 4-0. Was very comfortable although not as comfy as the ladies who won 13-0. That was such an easy game.
Reply 245
Original post by SirMasterKey
Ever since I looked on that site, all the ads on other sites have been from Barrington Sports.

I think it is the tracking cookies, either way that is quite scary that it can do that.

same here, never liked Barringtons anyway, they once refused to refund me for a stick, I'd bought from them. I took it home, hit a ball with it once, and the head went further than the ball!! They told me that i had obviously misused the stick. Their loss really, cos i've probly bought about 30 sticks over my playing career, and none of them from Barringtons!!

/rant :wink:
Original post by mczakk
same here, never liked Barringtons anyway, they once refused to refund me for a stick, I'd bought from them. I took it home, hit a ball with it once, and the head went further than the ball!! They told me that i had obviously misused the stick. Their loss really, cos i've probly bought about 30 sticks over my playing career, and none of them from Barringtons!!

/rant :wink:

I've only ever actually had one stick and it isn't all that good I found out after just dribbling a bit with team-mates sticks. Don't really think I can afford to get a new one just yet though :colondollar:
Reply 247
I've only ever actually had one stick and it isn't all that good I found out after just dribbling a bit with team-mates sticks. Don't really think I can afford to get a new one just yet though :colondollar:

ah well, i should add that i started playing when i was about 5, and i'm 38 now, so i've worn a few out just through use!
Original post by mczakk
ah well, i should add that i started playing when i was about 5, and i'm 38 now, so i've worn a few out just through use!

I do wish I had started younger, even in secondary school would have been nice, although I have improved a lot over 4 years now (especially in last 2) I think I would be much better if I had started earlier. Heck playing little games when younger I was quite a decent striker now I can barely get power or placement into the shot properly :colondollar:
Reply 249
I do wish I had started younger, even in secondary school would have been nice, although I have improved a lot over 4 years now (especially in last 2) I think I would be much better if I had started earlier. Heck playing little games when younger I was quite a decent striker now I can barely get power or placement into the shot properly :colondollar:

I didn't have much choice! (not that i was complaining) i was rubbish at football and got hurt too much playing rugby! Plus the fact that my mum played every weekend so i was kind of brought up at the hockey club :smile:

getting too old for it now though, and too many other things going on, might start playing again when i go back to uni in september :smile:
Original post by mczakk
I didn't have much choice! (not that i was complaining) i was rubbish at football and got hurt too much playing rugby! Plus the fact that my mum played every weekend so i was kind of brought up at the hockey club :smile:

getting too old for it now though, and too many other things going on, might start playing again when i go back to uni in september :smile:

Oh come now, 38 isn't too old! Some players still have the legs at 60+! :tongue:
Reply 251
Oh come now, 38 isn't too old! Some players still have the legs at 60+! :tongue:

Its not the legs, its the lungs and wrists, knees, ankles, lol I played a lot of very intense hockey, on old astros, my knees and ankles are knackered, my wrists sound like bubblewrap when i rotate them, and all my fingers are bent from repeatedly breaking the tips.
Not that i'm complaining, i loved playing and did quite well, (I played in the first season of the then National league, and played for the North West of England at u18 level) just that as i get older even thinking about playing hurts!
Original post by mczakk
Its not the legs, its the lungs and wrists, knees, ankles, lol I played a lot of very intense hockey, on old astros, my knees and ankles are knackered, my wrists sound like bubblewrap when i rotate them, and all my fingers are bent from repeatedly breaking the tips.
Not that i'm complaining, i loved playing and did quite well, (I played in the first season of the then National league, and played for the North West of England at u18 level) just that as i get older even thinking about playing hurts!

Ah that sucks :frown:

I regularly injure my back but that's it really.

Have you tried getting into umpiring? A bit of running admittedly but not all that much really. Another way to keep involved in the game!
Reply 253
Ah that sucks :frown:

I regularly injure my back but that's it really.

Have you tried getting into umpiring? A bit of running admittedly but not all that much really. Another way to keep involved in the game!

yep, passed my level one umpiring course about 15 years ago, i just hate doing it, and i'm pretty terrible at it too, spend to much time actually watching the game!

tbh i'd just like to be able to go and have a knock about during the week, and turn up and play on a saturday, rather than all this serious training and constant pressure to win leagues!

i guess i'm just too old fashioned for the way the game is nowadays!
Original post by mczakk
yep, passed my level one umpiring course about 15 years ago, i just hate doing it, and i'm pretty terrible at it too, spend to much time actually watching the game!

tbh i'd just like to be able to go and have a knock about during the week, and turn up and play on a saturday, rather than all this serious training and constant pressure to win leagues!

i guess i'm just too old fashioned for the way the game is nowadays!

Ah fair enough then. I was terrible umpiring my first game.

Which university are you at?

How did you feel when the self pass was introduced and the off-side rule abolished (I've never actually known this in hockey).
Reply 255
Ah fair enough then. I was terrible umpiring my first game.

Which university are you at?

How did you feel when the self pass was introduced and the off-side rule abolished (I've never actually known this in hockey).

I'm going to Bangor this year to do a masters in oceanography :smile:

I remember when the offside rule was abolished, and thought it was a good thing, but then as a centre forward I would!. It certainly made the game flow a lot more, and all the predicted 'goal hanging' never really materialised.
The self pass is new to me, I've not played since before this was introduced, but can see it's benefits. Having played against and in 'full press' defences, and with the stick and pitch changes leading to many more lifted balls, i can see how it has also made the game flow better. Thats all i can really say about the self pass as i've never played that rule!.

Hopefully bangor will have a social side i can play for, see if i can't teach the young 'uns a few old tricks!
Hello everyone :biggrin: I love hockey :smile: I play left back :smile:
Original post by -strawberry-
Hello everyone :biggrin: I love hockey :smile: I play left back :smile:

Awesome, welcome to the club!

Who do you play for? How long have you been playing?
Awesome, welcome to the club!

Who do you play for? How long have you been playing?

Thank you! Oh just my school, I've been playing for about 5 years :smile:
Anyone seen this?

http://www.fih.ch/en/news-3651-men-s-london-groups-take-shape

Germany- Netherlands :coma:

So hoping that I can see that game on the 1st August. Or any of the Britain games. Maybe both if I'm really lucky.

Quick Reply

Latest