The Student Room Group

Tobacco displays to be banned in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No they aren't.
Did you read the article? It says tobacco displays are to be banned, not actual cigarettes.
Misleading thread title, they're banning the display of cigarettes, not cigarettes themselves. Which seems pretty stupid to me because cigarettes are not an impulse buy.
Its a ban on the display of cigarettes not an actual ban on the products themselves.

I think you should read the whole article instead of jumping to conclusions.
Nice spelling
Reply 6
Troll?
The mixture of the awful spelling and total misunderstanding of the article makes me wonder what OP is like.

How old are they? What do they spend their life doing? Do they have any allergies?

WHO ARE YOU OP?
Reply 8
What a silly thread title. I was informed at Asda last night they are going off display. Like they would just outright ban it, they'd lose a fortune in tax revenue.
Why do the government keep on coming up with daft policies? This just sexifies smoking. Tell young people that it's something so badass that it can't be displayed, so why buy in the shops when you can buy on a market? On a street corner? From a Car Boot?
I thought this had already happened? In Newcastle and Leeds the cigarette cabinet thing now has an opaque screen in front of it.

What are you? Retarded??
So has this actually happened in England now? :confused: It seems a strange move to me, it's not as though a non-smoker would walk into a supermarket, see the cigarettes and think 'oh i'll just start smoking now'.
This has led to me referring to the tobacco section as 'the secret cupboard'. "I'd like something from 'the secret cupboard', please."

Seriously, how many times have you wandered around a shop and thought, "Ooh, they look pretty, let's get some cigarettes!"? :facepalm:
This actually has really annoyed me. On the odd occasion that I'll think to myself "I fancy some Chesterfield Blues" (I prefer them to Reds) instead of buying baccy, I now can't see if they actually have any Chesterfields there. So then the clerk has to take the time to open the screen, look for said cigarette carton, close the screen, and get back to me all whilst there's a cue forming behind me. Which doesn't do much for my social anxiety.
If there was no screen, all of that would become irrelevant if they don't have any in.

It also means I have to queue up just to ask them if they have the brand I'm after, which turns out to be a waste of my time if they don't.

As I said. Annoying.
Original post by TheSownRose
This has led to me referring to the tobacco section as 'the secret cupboard'. "I'd like something from 'the secret cupboard', please."

Seriously, how many times have you wandered around a shop and thought, "Ooh, they look pretty, let's get some cigarettes!"? :facepalm:
If you are wanting to quit something then not seeing it can remove temptation but I'm scraping the barrel there as people still know they're there.
Original post by Llamageddon
If you are wanting to quit something then not seeing it can remove temptation but I'm scraping the barrel there as people still know they're there.

But why give tobacco products a particularly hard time? Plenty of people are trying to stop drinking alcohol ... but alcoholic products aren't consigned to 'the secret shelves', are they?
Reply 17
But displaying alcohol is fine....
Original post by Besakt
But displaying alcohol is fine....

Not behind the counter at the Co-op near me. But there is a full aisle of it lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
The anti-booze brigade is out in force I see.

The two are not comparable at all. Alcohol is nowhere near as addictive as tobacco and doesnt cause as many deaths, either. Many enjoy a drink sensibly. Much much less people enjoy the odd fag every now and again. The huge majority are addicted to smoking astonishingly.

They seem to think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. They must do to put it on the same level as tobacco.

Just misguided religious propaganda, very typical.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest