The Student Room Group

Maths Studies 2012 TZ2 Exam Discussion

I'm a closet Maths Studies-er, but I thought starting a thread might be good :smile:

This can also be for Paper 2 from tomorrow onwards, i.e. after 24 hours. But we are free to discuss Paper 1 obviously :smile:

Was anyone else really stupid on Q.14? I know I was... :s-smilie:

But all in all, I thought the paper was fairly straightforward - I'm hoping for a 7! Not sure what grade boundaries would be like though...

What did you guys think? x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which was question 14 again (It already seems like so long ago! :tongue: )?

There were a few iffy bits for me, but on the whole I think it went pretty well :smile: Fingers crossed for a 7!
Reply 2
Made a stupid mistake in the derivatives question but hopefully will get method marks! overall I thought it was okay
Original post by NeverSoShy
Which was question 14 again (It already seems like so long ago! :tongue: )?

There were a few iffy bits for me, but on the whole I think it went pretty well :smile: Fingers crossed for a 7!

It was where you knew 3 angles in a triangle and they gave you the area and you had to calculate a side. Worked out how I should have done it after the exam :s-smilie: Method marks though hopefully!

Which one was the derivatives question?

Can anyone remember any other questions? I need to compulsively compare answers!

Argh, I really want to talk about Paper 2, but wouldn't risk the IBO tracking me down and coming round to my house and taking my diploma away and not letting me go to university and ruining my life :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by beautiful-lion
It was where you knew 3 angles in a triangle and they gave you the area and you had to calculate a side. Worked out how I should have done it after the exam :s-smilie: Method marks though hopefully!

Oh yeah, ditto! Apparently all I needed to do get the right answer was square root the answer that I got, which is kind of annoying! Should mean that I only lost one mark though :smile:
Original post by NeverSoShy
Oh yeah, ditto! Apparently all I needed to do get the right answer was square root the answer that I got, which is kind of annoying! Should mean that I only lost one mark though :smile:

Yep! I ended up with ab=1310.3242 or something like that (I just made that up :biggrin: ), which I thought didn't help me, as a and b were two different sides, but all I needed to do was to rename the side so I got bc=1310.3242... and square root that to give me one side! So annoying!

Hmmmmmm...what else was there...A venn diagram question on Flutes, Pianos and Violins...and the first question! i was SO glad I revised N, R, Q, Z etc just before I went in!
Reply 6
Yep! I ended up with ab=1310.3242 or something like that (I just made that up :biggrin: ), which I thought didn't help me, as a and b were two different sides, but all I needed to do was to rename the side so I got bc=1310.3242... and square root that to give me one side! So annoying!

Hmmmmmm...what else was there...A venn diagram question on Flutes, Pianos and Violins...and the first question! i was SO glad I revised N, R, Q, Z etc just before I went in!

One of the probabilities that it asked for on the venn diagram was confusing, I think it was the one where it said piano or violin or both

did they mean piano only + violin only + their intersection or the whole piano and violin circles?
Original post by Superwoman
One of the probabilities that it asked for on the venn diagram was confusing, I think it was the one where it said piano or violin or both

did they mean piano only + violin only + their intersection or the whole piano and violin circles?

I put piano only and violin only plus their intersection circles...I think.

And I was slightly confused by the probability-written-in-words they asked for. It was something like: the students who study both violin and not-flute, i.e. both violin and piano...
Reply 8
I think I did very well in this paper, however for the last 15 minutes before the end of an exam I had an internal monologue about the significant figures in question 1 , was it 0.019 or 0.0192.
Original post by momentalus
I think I did very well in this paper, however for the last 15 minutes before the end of an exam I had an internal monologue about the significant figures in question 1 , was it 0.019 or 0.0192.

Hmm...can't remember exactly what q1 was asking...I feel like I recognise both...

Is a 7 like...at least 75/90 in both papers + good coursework?
Reply 10
I put piano only and violin only plus their intersection circles...I think.

And I was slightly confused by the probability-written-in-words they asked for. It was something like: the students who study both violin and not-flute, i.e. both violin and piano...

yeah same I just put down the student who study piano and not flute or whatever it was

Original post by momentalus

0.0192 :smile:
Reply 11
Hmm...can't remember exactly what q1 was asking...I feel like I recognise both...

Is a 7 like...at least 75/90 in both papers + good coursework?

paper 1: 73-75/90
paper 2; 70-72/90
IA: 17/20
paper 1: 73-75/90
paper 2; 70-72/90
IA: 17/20

oh goody, i think i got 18/20 on my IA...unless it gets moderated down :frown:

and that seems very manageable for the papers, unless i made loads of stupid mistakes i didn't realise about...
Reply 13
oh goody, i think i got 18/20 on my IA...unless it gets moderated down :frown:

and that seems very manageable for the papers, unless i made loads of stupid mistakes i didn't realise about...

yepp got 18 as well but more likely to be moderated down (my teacher sucks)

well good luck on the rest :biggrin:
yepp got 18 as well but more likely to be moderated down (my teacher sucks)

well good luck on the rest :biggrin:

You too! I will, of course, be back to discuss paper 2 :biggrin:

And I just saw your post in the other thread - good luck with the biology! It's not too late yet if you pick easy options. I don't do Bio, but I do chem, and I barely know my options - am just learning them during the next three days. and past papers are key, obvs :smile:
Reply 15
You too! I will, of course, be back to discuss paper 2 :biggrin:

And I just saw your post in the other thread - good luck with the biology! It's not too late yet if you pick easy options. I don't do Bio, but I do chem, and I barely know my options - am just learning them during the next three days. and past papers are key, obvs :smile:

yeah I have a lot of questions to ask for paper 2, just 10 more hours :biggrin:

I'm looking through the options now and narrowed it down to 3 that seem easy so I think it'll be okay :smile: and I already have all the papers :biggrin:

actually bio paper 3 is on the 18th so its fine :biggrin: good luck with the chem!
Paper 1 for me went fine, although I was completely stumped by the quadratic graph question (I realised after that you had to use axis of symmetry) so I stupidly ended up spending waaaaaaay too long on it then not having time to check -_-' Don't really remember much else of it...apart from the first question being along the lines of "What is 5200 x 0.0000037" and feeling rather happy that I wasn't doing Standard!
Original post by KetchupSandwich
Paper 1 for me went fine, although I was completely stumped by the quadratic graph question (I realised after that you had to use axis of symmetry) so I stupidly ended up spending waaaaaaay too long on it then not having time to check -_-' Don't really remember much else of it...apart from the first question being along the lines of "What is 5200 x 0.0000037" and feeling rather happy that I wasn't doing Standard!

wait...WHAT quadratic graph q?
wait...WHAT quadratic graph q?

It was a -x^2 graph with intersects on (3,0) and (5,0) with a vertex of x coordinate 3. You had to find b and c (as in -x^2 + bx + c or something) and the range of the function. Couldn't do it! :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by KetchupSandwich
It was a -x^2 graph with intersects on (3,0) and (5,0) with a vertex of x coordinate 3. You had to find b and c (as in -x^2 + bx + c or something) and the range of the function. Couldn't do it! :frown:

yeah I remember that one, you had to use the vertex to calculate b and then use the points given to calculate c :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending