The Student Room Group

USA - 85 Orthodox Jews arrested for child sex abuse

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/sexual-abuse-scandals-threaten-to-tear-the-fabric-of-brooklyn-s-ultra-orthodox-community-1.429777

A recent New York Times report revealed that while some ultra-Orthodox rabbis now argue that a child molester should be reported to the police, others strictly adhere to an ancient prohibition against mesirah, the turning in of a Jew to non-Jewish authorities, and consider publicly airing allegations against fellow Jews to be chillul Hashem, a desecration of God’s name.

Absolutely disgusting, and goes to show this sort of thing happens in many different communities and is not just confined to one or two.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do you need to put "Orthodox Jews" in the title? It doesn't help stereotypes - as we find with Pakistani males in this country. It doesn't matter whether they jewish or christian. They should be punished and not their religion.
Original post by MacCuishy
Why do you need to put "Orthodox Jews" in the title? It doesn't help stereotypes - as we find with Pakistani males in this country. It doesn't matter whether they jewish or christian. They should be punished and not their religion.

I think what the OP is getting at, is that a lot of the threads here have been about Pakistani men, whereas the OP has seen an article which has Jewish men doing the same thing

Also, I know it's haaretz, but it's not really any better than the Daily Fail that many people like to source
Reply 3
What is the implication of this thread? You do realise that the orthodox jews were abusing other jews? Not gang raping scores of girls specifically chosen because they weren't jewish. So... nothing to do with our ethnically selective paedophiles.
Original post by Bonged.
What is the implication of this thread? You do realise that the orthodox jews were abusing other jews? Not gang raping scores of girls specifically chosen because they weren't jewish. So... nothing to do with our ethnically selective paedophiles.

So, rape is OK when doing it to people of your own faith? From what I see, it's the OP trying to make out that there are other paedophiles out there, that don't make the mainstream news.
Reply 5

The same reason why people put ''Muslim'' in the title.
See if this was about a Pakistani or "Muslim" gang, there'd be about 3/4 pages of discussion now, but because they're Jewish, we don't see the usual hate mongerers here
Reply 7
It's also interesting to notice that many Orthodox Jews adhere to a belief that no Orthodox Jew should be turned in to non-Jewish authorities, just as there are Muslims out there who believe that a Muslim, regardless of what crimes he's committed, should never be handed over to a non-muslim
Original post by Bonged.

Oh well that makes it okay then... :rolleyes:
Reply 9

If ''Muslim'' can be put into a title, so should ''Orthodox Jew''

Original post by Bonged.

:/

Original post by de_monies
See if this was about a Pakistani or "Muslim" gang, there'd be about 3/4 pages of discussion now, but because they're Jewish, we don't see the usual hate mongerers here

SO TRUE^

Original post by DoctorSatan
It's also interesting to notice that many Orthodox Jews adhere to a belief that no Orthodox Jew should be turned in to non-Jewish authorities, just as there are Muslims out there who believe that a Muslim, regardless of what crimes he's committed, should never be handed over to a non-muslim

If I knew a Muslim who committed a crime such as rape, I would hand him over straight away! That is an Islamic principle, to enjoin good and forbid evil!

Original post by Barden
Oh wow, now we have the full set of perverted people of Abrahamic faith. Now we see that they're just as nutty as any other example from Christianity or Islam.
Reply 11
Original post by de_monies
So, rape is OK when doing it to people of your own faith? From what I see, it's the OP trying to make out that there are other paedophiles out there, that don't make the mainstream news.

Nothing new. People tend to care for their own. Honestly, go and create thread about a drone attacks killing X number of civilians. Trust me, it'll be hard to stretch even 2 pages on TSR. Simply because it's in a different country and it's not ''one of us''.
Original post by Florrick
Nothing new. People tend to care for their own. Honestly, go and create thread about a drone attacks killing X number of civilians. Trust me, it'll be hard to stretch even 2 pages on TSR. Simply because it's in a different country and it's not ''one of us''.

I didn't even get a full page last time:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1966200
disgusting.
disgusting.

Well done to this Jewish reporting site, though, from not trying to cover it up because the abusers are Jews. Poedophiles should be expelled from their communities and punished, regardless of their background.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Just to put it out there before I say what I have to say, I'm a Modern Orthodox Jew myself.
These terrible crimes have some parallels with what is going on in Rochdale, and are also different in some ways. This abuse stems from the fact that in both communities sex is something that is pretty much never discussed, and sex is seen as something that children and young adults are not to find out about until they are married (usually in an arranged marriage, in both cases). This philosophy is not compatible with the information age, since even the most censored young Orthodox Jewish, or strict Muslim kids can find out about this whole other world quite easily.
This can lead to members of both communities developing some pretty weird views about what is acceptable and, as we have seen, can have some disastrous consequences.
This should not be used as an excuse for hate crimes against either community. Rather, we should campaign for greater openness and at least some rudimentary sex-ed in these communities.
As for the refusal of some leaders to hand these criminals over, this comes from a deep distrust of non-Jewish authority within ultra-Orthodox circles. Ultra-Orthodox Jews devote their lives to following what their Rabbis tell them, so attitudes change very slowly. The attitude shown by Ultra-Orthodox Jews towards non-Jewish authority is probably a remnant of the Holocaust, or even earlier, with the pogroms etc. I'm not saying that this attitude is acceptable, I am just explaining it.
Reply 16
Original post by Barden

Only a moron would deduce that. Why would you think that makes it ok? :colone:

It can't be compared to what europe is currently experiencing as that is explicitly committed by one group of people against another; this particular case is internal within the orthodox community. :pierre:
Original post by Snagprophet
Oh wow, now we have the full set of perverted people of Abrahamic faith. Now we see that they're just as nutty as any other example from Christianity or Islam.

being religious doesn't make you a perv. It's down to cultural factors and what naturally "turns you on".
Original post by justmyopinions
being religious doesn't make you a perv. It's down to cultural factors and what naturally "turns you on".

And getting abuse as a child :smile:

Edit: So you two neggers deny that child abuse turns victims into paedophiles?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bonged.
Only a moron would deduce that. Why would you think that makes it ok? :colone:

It can't be compared to what europe is currently experiencing as that is explicitly committed by one group of people against another; this particular case is internal within the orthodox community. :pierre:

So, it doesn't matter as much if it's within the community, but matters more if one group targets another group?

You're despicable

Quick Reply

Latest