The Student Room Group

VW Polo 6N2?

Right basically an old primary school friend is selling his Y reg Polo 6N2 soon. Its done 79000 and the engine and running gear are standard (bar a golf GTI exhaust) but the suspension has uprated springs, anti-rollbars, and it also has uprated wheels and tyres and brakes. I'm very tempted to get it and the insurance (with all mods declared) is cheaper than my 1.6 Focus (also modified), i've driven it and handles even better than my Focus and is slightly easier to drive around town and much more responsive on the throttle. He wants £1000 for it and i could easily sell my focus for that (thanks to all the mods). Do you guys think i should get it?
Reply 1
Do what you like.

At the end of the day, it's you that has to live with it, not everybody else!
Reply 2
Original post by JC.
Do what you like.

At the end of the day, it's you that has to live with it, not everybody else!

I know, i'm just curious as to what people think.
Reply 3
Original post by M4LLY
Right basically an old primary school friend is selling his Y reg Polo 6N2 soon. Its done 79000 and the engine and running gear are standard (bar a golf GTI exhaust) but the suspension has uprated springs, anti-rollbars, and it also has uprated wheels and tyres and brakes. I'm very tempted to get it and the insurance (with all mods declared) is cheaper than my 1.6 Focus (also modified), i've driven it and handles even better than my Focus and is slightly easier to drive around town and much more responsive on the throttle. He wants £1000 for it and i could easily sell my focus for that (thanks to all the mods). Do you guys think i should get it?

What insurance company are you looking to go with, all the ones I've seen hate young people with mods = /
Reply 4
Original post by Gothica
What insurance company are you looking to go with, all the ones I've seen hate young people with mods = /

I'm with aviva and its £1500 a year for my Focus, It goes down by like £70 when i change it to the Polo.
Reply 5
Original post by M4LLY
I know, i'm just curious as to what people think.

*I* wouldn't buy either because they don't offer what *I* want from a car.
Like I said, it's what *you* think that matters. :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by JC.
*I* wouldn't buy either because they don't offer what *I* want from a car.
Like I said, it's what *you* think that matters. :wink:

Ah, Touche :wink:
Reply 7
I don't like buying cars that old.
Reply 8
What is it, a 6N2 GTi? if it is, then the gearboxes are notoriously chocolate like! Apart from that, they're pretty decent little cars.

Lose the Focus, you won't regret it
Reply 9
Never heard of a 6N2 before, but if it is anything like the GTI then give the gearbox a thorough workout as they are a very common point of failure.

Personally, I would stick to the Focus but then I look for different things in cars - i.e. I don't like small cars! Up to you really, if you are happy with the car and the price then go for it.

You mentioned your Focus being easy to sell because of the mods - what have you done to it? Most of the time modifications make no difference at all to the sale price, and often devalue it depending on what you have done. You might be worth putting it back to standard and flogging the modifications and the car for some more cash?
Reply 10
Original post by poloj
What is it, a 6N2 GTi? if it is, then the gearboxes are notoriously chocolate like! Apart from that, they're pretty decent little cars.

Lose the Focus, you won't regret it

No worries about the gearbox mate, flicking through the service history it was changed 3000 miles ago.
Reply 11
Original post by M4LLY
No worries about the gearbox mate, flicking through the service history it was changed 3000 miles ago.

I hate to be a pessimist, but if the gearbox was changed only 3k ago, then why is he selling the entire car for £1k? Seems a little odd. If at all checks out, then that could be a good deal!

Is the 6N2 the same as the GTI?
Reply 12
Original post by 1992LP
I hate to be a pessimist, but if the gearbox was changed only 3k ago, then why is he selling the entire car for £1k? Seems a little odd. If at all checks out, then that could be a good deal!

Is the 6N2 the same as the GTI?

I think (but i'm not 100%) that the 6N2 is simply the engine in the Gti (this one is a gti anyway). He's selling it because he's lost his job and is desperate for cash. Tbh its a pretty sound little car, hence why i'm now looking at it in my driveway.
Reply 13
I own that exact same car! It seriously is splendid and I really love it!

Disadvantages:
1.) the gearbox is made out of hot chocolate and expect to pay a grand or more for replacement. Depends on your driving though (no burnouts - too much strain on the gearbox... :frown: ...)

2.) you really need to get to know the car and how u will save fuel. This car can easily only get 300 km in city. But around 700 km on highway only.

3.) regularly refill gearbox oil!!!!

Advantages:
1.) very good acceleration for this car size and engine!

2.) looks so flesh inside and seriously was the fleshest car from the interiours when it was build

3.) easy to tune up without having problems with insurance (ie lowering, new rims, bi xenon headlights, loud exhaust etc)

And 1000$ is sooo cheap. Buy but dont forget to do a pre purchase check... ;-)
Reply 14
Original post by emitto
I own that exact same car! It seriously is splendid and I really love it!

Disadvantages:
1.) the gearbox is made out of hot chocolate and expect to pay a grand or more for replacement. Depends on your driving though (no burnouts - too much strain on the gearbox... :frown: ...)

2.) you really need to get to know the car and how u will save fuel. This car can easily only get 300 km in city. But around 700 km on highway only.

3.) regularly refill gearbox oil!!!!

Advantages:
1.) very good acceleration for this car size and engine!

2.) looks so flesh inside and seriously was the fleshest car from the interiours when it was build

3.) easy to tune up without having problems with insurance (ie lowering, new rims, bi xenon headlights, loud exhaust etc)

And 1000$ is sooo cheap. Buy but dont forget to do a pre purchase check... ;-)

Bought it a few days ago pal, its a great car for what it is. Sadly i'm gonna be stuck in my automatic Pajero for a week as i hurt my wrist in a moped crash :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest