The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Exam Unit 1 (C1) 15th June 2012 (OLD SPEC) AQA

Did anyone do the Old Spec Chem C1 Exam 15 JUNE?

How did the exam go?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I finished the exam earlier than you guys fo some reason. In my school I was the only one this exam. lol.

I hated the last question and the one on the mountain ranges being formed.

How did you do the first question on the line of best fit. I created like 2 or 3 lines rubbed them off and then created another one.

But I reckon the grade boundaries will be much higher. :smile:
Reply 2
Also the final question was quite different though. I'd expect that 4 mark question to be on biodiesel VS fossil diesel. Somehow it was on milk bottles and milk bag?????? The final question was so bizare in comparision to past papers.:eek:
Reply 3
Unofficial mark scheme anyone? Not too bad, some weird questions though
Reply 4
The line of best fit was a smooth curve
Reply 5
Original post by ClarkyC...
Unofficial mark scheme anyone? Not too bad, some weird questions though

I agree. I can't believe they asked the question on the number of elements - far too easy.
Reply 6
Original post by krisshP
Also the final question was quite different though. I'd expect that 4 mark question to be on biodiesel VS fossil diesel. Somehow it was on milk bottles and milk bag?????? The final question was so bizare in comparision to past papers.:eek:

it was the same really.... just talk about biodiesel and talk about recycling.
Reply 7
Original post by krisshP
I agree. I can't believe they asked the question on the number of elements - far too easy.

I found that difficult. I put 3 in the end
Reply 8
About the copper and method... i put Reduction, it sparked controversy in my school.some are saying that its thermal decomposition some electrolysis and some even distillation.
Reply 9
Thought it was quite easy & feeling really confident on that :biggrin:

Would do the mark scheme but have a terrible memory, will be happy to answer any questions though :smile:

Anyone else find that they gave too many lines for most of the questions?
Reply 10
The toughest question, in my opinion, was the one on the mountain ranges. The one that about the Earth's crust, and why it wrinkled, I found tough too :s

Wasn't a likeable paper, in my opinion - although I did enjoy the simple marks that were in it. The question on the number of elements, the last question and the graph all went well I feel, along with the one asking about the Calcium Oxide.
Original post by krisshP

IM ashamed to say I thought it asked for atoms hahaa
Reply 12
Original post by rohin1204
Thought it was quite easy & feeling really confident on that :biggrin:

Would do the mark scheme but have a terrible memory, will be happy to answer any questions though :smile:

Anyone else find that they gave too many lines for most of the questions?

There was a questiona bout what enviromental impact does nitrogen,co2 etc cause.... i wrote Global Dimming. is that correct?
Reply 13
IM ashamed to say I thought it asked for atoms hahaa

It clearly stated how many elements.
Original post by elsher
There was a questiona bout what enviromental impact does nitrogen,co2 etc cause.... i wrote Global Dimming. is that correct?

The question was what does particulates cause.. Global dimming. However there was a question where it asked why is co2 and nitrogen formed
Original post by elsher
It clearly stated how many elements.

So I misread it? Only one mark mate
Reply 16
Original post by Sensy
The toughest question, in my opinion, was the one on the mountain ranges. The one that about the Earth's crust, and why it wrinkled, I found tough too :s

Aah yes, that seemed like GCSE geography, so just used my knowledge from there. It wrinkled because as it cooled the molten rock solidified and since it cooled at different rates it became wrinkled
Reply 17
The question was what does particulates cause.. Global dimming. However there was a question where it asked why is co2 and nitrogen formed

Oh yes.about limestone? i wrote that its the unreacted products from the reaction
Reply 18
So I misread it? Only one mark mate

Yes, Unfortunately.
Reply 19
For the question on the number of elements in CaCO3, I think the answer is 3.

For the question on how the tectonic plates move:
Radioactive decay in the mantle produces heat
This makes the mantle flow in convection currents
Therefore the plates move a few centimetres per year, forming mountains.

For the last question on milk bags Vs milk bottles I think part of the answer would be:
75% less poly(ethene) used results in less crude oil used up. Therefore less C02 gets released and there is less global warming and climate change.

Used bottles/bags dumped=More waste sent to landfill

This exam had fewer questions and more depth. Most questions were still easy though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending