The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Bringing a pet to halls?

Well I'm guessing this is a no-no, but would I be allowed to bring my pet hamster to uni with me? i'm staying in a college.

if no, could i sneak it in? do cleaners come into rooms and will they tell someone if they see a hamster?
Reply 1
You won't be allowed a pet, and the cleaners will tell someone if they see it.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by canŵio
Well I'm guessing this is a no-no, but would I be allowed to bring my pet hamster to uni with me? i'm staying in a college.

if no, could i sneak it in? do cleaners come into rooms and will they tell someone if they see a hamster?

It'll state in college regulations that you're not allowed to keep pets. (e.g. point 7.11 for Trevs)

Since cleaners regularly have access to your room when you're not around, there's a big chance someone will find out, and they've got to report that sort of thing.
Reply 3
I have two cats which I would like to bring with me as well... :/

I don't want to leave them with my parents. Do off-campus flats allow pets? I contacted St. Margret's Flats but they said it was a no-no...
Original post by elisej
I have two cats which I would like to bring with me as well... :/

I don't want to leave them with my parents. Do off-campus flats allow pets? I contacted St. Margret's Flats but they said it was a no-no...

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but just want to say thank you so much for searching, and finding an existing thread to post in - far too few people do on this forum. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Awoodrow2
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but just want to say thank you so much for searching, and finding an existing thread to post in - far too few people do on this forum. :smile:

The downside of that is that it sometimes ends up with people not reading the date of the OP and quoting and answering what is a 2 year old question :tongue:
No.

And yes, you will get found out, and then chucked out.

And if you try getting a privately rented place, you'll find most of them wont take animals either.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi, i go to Butler college at Durham, dont tell anyone, but i had a hamster while i lived in college. I am now a 3rd year so live in a house but the landlord also has a no pet policy and i'm secretly keeping my two gorgeous rats here.
You are not allowed pets in halls. BUT, depending what college your at (??), you can sneak one in.
At butler, we had cleaners come to our rooms every friday morning, but they would only clean our ensuits. So on fridays before my 9am lecture i would put my hammys cage under my bed and put a blanket over it, and disattach his wheel so that he couldnt be heard. he was never discovered. i dont know about other colleges though. may moosey rest in peace x
Reply 8
Original post by Awoodrow2
thank you so much for searching, and finding an existing thread to post in - far too few people do on this forum. :smile:

Np! Actually I'm new to the forum so I was reading a lot of the threads to see what other people had been asking, and some of them related to me, so I found.. :tongue:

@ellebug - Lol. I'm glad you didn't get found out. Life is so lacking without pets... But it's probably highly unlikely that a cat would be allowed. Anecdote - apparently Lord Byron once kept a wild bear in his rooms at Cambridge. Haha...

Quick Reply

Latest