The Student Room Group

AQA AS French (writing) "Content" :(

I am having a considerable amount of trouble coming up with ideas which my french teacher deems as worthy of the 15 marks AQA offers in the writing section of their AS French paper.

The following question is a mock essay title, and I can't think of ideas to fill it.

For example: Quelle est l'importancee de l'amitié dans la vie d'une jeune personne?

I've come up with:

1) Familiy are primarily important, but some things require friends. Such as relationships + example. Being the same age, friends can empathise and understand each other's problems better than what family can - In the case of school/education for example.

2) On the other hand, friends at a young age are underdeveloped and can betray one another, whereas family are known to be a source and network of trust. It is also said that one's best friends are met later in life.

3) Friendship shouldn't be so important especially in countries/places where education is important to rise socially or out of financial problems. For example, in certain parts of Africa education is rare and therefore it is seen as a special thing to have. Some would say that a young person should focus on their own success, and not worry about things like friendship.

(this is where I went blank :confused: )

Does anyone have any tips or a step-by-step guide on how to get an A in writing for AQA please?

I cannot begin to tell you how much I would appreciate it, seeing as my exam is on Wednesday :frown:
If I were you, I'd mention a few more pros, such as the importance of developing social/communication skills, and friendship as a source of positive mental health. Perhaps balance the number of arguments, and put one extra on the side you support, to make your conclusion convincing.

Make sure you do an introduction on general terms, say about how friendship is a big part of people's lives, and then either alternate between pros and cons, or clump points together - personally, I went for the latter, but it's up to you.

Make sure you add two or three qualifications to each point you make, including your own opinion on it, and make them fairly detailed, but still concise.

They say devote half an hour to the writing, but I'd get through the first two bits and spend a long time on it, myself - I did the reading and listening in about half an hour, forty minutes, then devoted the rest of my time to writing three sides of A4 on the problems of alcohol, when I did the paper. :p:

MAKE AS DETAILED A PLAN AS YOU CAN.

I can't really think of anything else. I hope this is helpful though. :smile: I also got 140/140 for the whole paper, so I should theoretically know what I'm talking about!
Reply 2
MarinaM
If I were you, I'd mention a few more pros, such as the importance of developing social/communication skills, and friendship as a source of positive mental health. Perhaps balance the number of arguments, and put one extra on the side you support, to make your conclusion convincing.

Make sure you do an introduction on general terms, say about how friendship is a big part of people's lives, and then either alternate between pros and cons, or clump points together - personally, I went for the latter, but it's up to you.

Make sure you add two or three qualifications to each point you make, including your own opinion on it, and make them fairly detailed, but still concise.

They say devote half an hour to the writing, but I'd get through the first two bits and spend a long time on it, myself - I did the reading and listening in about half an hour, forty minutes, then devoted the rest of my time to writing three sides of A4 on the problems of alcohol, when I did the paper. :p:

MAKE AS DETAILED A PLAN AS YOU CAN.

I can't really think of anything else. I hope this is helpful though. :smile: I also got 140/140 for the whole paper, so I should theoretically know what I'm talking about!
]

Thank you, this is helpful :smile:

Well done by the way. I wish I had the finesse you have in French.
Reply 3
MarinaM

Oh, and what do you mean by qualifications? Could you please give an example?

Much appreciated, CB
coolblergh
Oh, and what do you mean by qualifications? Could you please give an example?

Much appreciated, CB

You know, something that qualifies your point, and hence makes it valid.

For example,

"L'alcool est très mal pour la santé, parce qu'en le buvant, on peut détruire le cerveau et le foie."

The bit in bold qualifies my statement about alcohol. Granted, that's not a massively amazing example, but I'm rather sleep deprived and haven't so much as looked at AS topics since last year. :wink:
Reply 5
MarinaM
You know, something that qualifies your point, and hence makes it valid.

For example,

"L'alcool est très mal pour la santé, parce qu'en le buvant, on peut détruire le cerveau et le foie."

The bit in bold qualifies my statement about alcohol. Granted, that's not a massively amazing example, but I'm rather sleep deprived and haven't so much as looked at AS topics since last year. :wink:

Oh gosh. I'm ****. lol
coolblergh
Oh gosh. I'm ****. lol

Probably not - in your defence, I am partially looking at it from an A2 perspective, and hence am far more used to complex grammatical constructions. :wink:
Reply 7
MarinaM
Probably not - in your defence, I am partially looking at it from an A2 perspective, and hence am far more used to complex grammatical constructions. :wink:

HAHA. I am doing A2 too!!! I am re-sitting the AS :rolleyes:

How depressing.
Reply 8
how did ppl find today? :smile:
coolblergh
HAHA. I am doing A2 too!!! I am re-sitting the AS :rolleyes:

How depressing.

Sorry, I didn't realise! Bit idiotic, I suppose.

If it helps at all, I'm actually applying to do French at Uni, and so do a ridiculous amount of extra reading and work and so on.

Hope you did/do OK in your resit!
Reply 10
Those who did the AQA re-take how did you find it, and if u can remember what answers did u get.....like for the 5 reasons of tv being bad, or the answers for the grammar section etc....?? :smile:
Reply 11
i did the holidays essay
did anyone put devunue in the grammar?
and what was the last one, future sera?
didnt know what to put for the one about adopting, i put a conditional..
i found it ok, but then again found the one in june ok and that was still a B..
Reply 12
Can anyone tell me the essay titles for the Jan 2010 French AS exam plz? :smile:
Reply 13
yess pleasee could someone just upload the paper if possible?
Reply 14
The three essay questions in Jan 2010 were:

1 - A votre avis quelle est la valeur du cinema? Pourquoi est-ce que le cinema est toujours si populaire dans la societe actuelle?

2 - Donnez votre opinion sur l'importance des vacances. Est-il question simplement de se relaxer en vacances? Pourquoi/pourquoi pas?

3 - Selon vous, quels sont les avantages et les dangers des portables?

I don't have the rest of the paper I'm afraid, hope this helps though.

:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by MarinaM

Shouldn't it be
'en en buvant' rather than 'en le buvant' because it is boire de so it should take the pronoun en?
I'm trying to revise now.... I hate this exam!
Original post by Sorrento11
Shouldn't it be
'en en buvant' rather than 'en le buvant' because it is boire de so it should take the pronoun en?
I'm trying to revise now.... I hate this exam!

No, because he's writing it to say "by drinking it" the 'le' is refering to the alcohol.

Latest

Trending

Trending