The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ucl ??
Reply 2
Not keen on going to London, but cheers for the advice!

Any others?
Reply 3
Loughborough?
just curious as to why not imperal/oxbridge?
Reply 5
Manchester has gone up to AAA?!
Sucky.
What about Leeds? If you get 3 As they give you £1000 every year!
Maybe Nottingham?
And I'm also curious why not Imp/Oxbridge?
Reply 6
Smeh
Manchester has gone up to AAA?!
Sucky.

What about Leeds? If you get 3 As they give you £1000 every year!
Maybe Nottingham?
And I'm also curious why not Imp/Oxbridge?

Admissions tutor said so when we went for interview in October. UCL has also gone up

OP, consider Loughborough and/or Bath
Reply 7
I'd recommend an ABB just in case, how about Nottingham or Surrey?
Reply 8
Imperial is because I don't want to live in London for 4 years. I admit it's a very good degree, but I simply wouldn't want to live there.

Also I ruled out Oxbridge because it's simply not something I aspire for, I don't want to go to Oxbridge full stop.

And yeah in Manc's 2011 prospectus it says AAA as does UCL. I'll definitely look into Nottingham and Leeds though!

Can anyone give me any more information about these two, if they've studied/applied there about why they did/what it's like?!
Reply 9
Lil' Flo
Admissions tutor said so when we went for interview in October. UCL has also gone up

OP, consider Loughborough and/or Bath

Ah riiiight.
Soooo glad i've applied already.
Well done on your UCAS btw! You chosen a firm yet?
Reply 10
mfc20
Imperial is because I don't want to live in London for 4 years. I admit it's a very good degree, but I simply wouldn't want to live there.

Also I ruled out Oxbridge because it's simply not something I aspire for, I don't want to go to Oxbridge full stop.

And yeah in Manc's 2011 prospectus it says AAA as does UCL. I'll definitely look into Nottingham and Leeds though!

Can anyone give me any more information about these two, if they've studied/applied there about why they did/what it's like?!

Fair enough really.

I was very close to applying to Leeds and Nottingham lol. I didn't apply to Leeds in the end because I needed an insurance type choice (which was stupid since Queen Mary gave me an AAB offer in the end :colonhash:) But I loved the city vibe.
I didn't apply to Nottingham because even though when I visited it was beautiful, I really didn't like the whole idea of campus unis really. But their facilities for engineering are actually really good and I think it's definitely underrated for engineering. They have a massive chemical engineering plant type thing which i think is one of very few in the country.
Reply 11
Smeh
Ah riiiight.
Soooo glad i've applied already.
Well done on your UCAS btw! You chosen a firm yet?

Thanks. I haven't 'seen' you on here for quite a while - I didn't even realise it was you I quoted:p:

I have not chosen my firm yet. Procrastination is a bitch:frown:
i hope to do it before the easter hols are up, and send off my student finance stuff off at the same time
Reply 12
Smeh
Fair enough really.

I was very close to applying to Leeds and Nottingham lol. I didn't apply to Leeds in the end because I needed an insurance type choice (which was stupid since Queen Mary gave me an AAB offer in the end :colonhash:) But I loved the city vibe.
I didn't apply to Nottingham because even though when I visited it was beautiful, I really didn't like the whole idea of campus unis really. But their facilities for engineering are actually really good and I think it's definitely underrated for engineering. They have a massive chemical engineering plant type thing which i think is one of very few in the country.

Ahh shame it's a campus, definitely want to be in a city!
What was the offer Leeds gave you then, AAB? And what insurance uni/offer did you choose instead then?
Reply 13
Lil' Flo
Thanks. I haven't 'seen' you on here for quite a while - I didn't even realise it was you I quoted:p:

I have not chosen my firm yet. Procrastination is a bitch:frown:
i hope to do it before the easter hols are up, and send off my student finance stuff off at the same time

I'm procrastinating right now :mmm:
Yeah Easter's probably the best time to get it done. You got any preferences or is it still all up in the air? My teacher's were all "you need to start your student finance now, it takes AGES"...So i've done it already.
I feel so organised...it's strange :erm:
Reply 14
chem eng at queens in belfast is very highly rated, its in the rusdel group, chem eng also came top as best tought degree at the uni, im going to it this year and only need BBB for the Meng course
Reply 15
mfc20
What was the offer Leeds gave you then, AAB? And what insurance uni/offer did you choose instead then?

Oh no I didn't apply to Leeds in the end...My friend did though and he got an AAB offer for Chemical Eng....He turned them down (along with Imperial and Birmingham) for Manchester. I'd definitely recommend visiting them all before you apply it makes a world of difference.
I've actually applied for Mech Eng :mmm:
Reply 16
Smeh
I'm procrastinating right now
Yeah Easter's probably the best time to get it done. You got any preferences or is it still all up in the air? My teacher's were all "you need to start your student finance now, it takes AGES"...So i've done it already.
I feel so organised...it's strange

Tut tut...what work should you be doing :p:
I'm most likely to firm UCL and insurance Manchester
Our teachers have told us nothing about SF. All we've been given is a SF pack, that i'm sure most people have chucked. Thankfully, I did most of mine one dark day in December, but have yet to submit it. Now my mother is starting to nag me...lovely!
Haha, get used to it, if not you wont survive uni (at least that's what my mom tells me)
Reply 17
Smeh
Oh no I didn't apply to Leeds in the end...My friend did though and he got an AAB offer for Chemical Eng....He turned them down (along with Imperial and Birmingham) for Manchester. I'd definitely recommend visiting them all before you apply it makes a world of difference.
I've actually applied for Mech Eng :mmm:

Haha yeah looks like Manc might be my firm but I'm definitely gonna visit them all!
Reply 18
mfc20
QUOTE]

I would have said loughborough but as you've said you want to be in a city, probably not a brilliant idea.

And you seem to be turning down Nottingham because it is a campus well birmingham is a very similar set up to Nottingham and is also a campus uni really with all of the academic buildings and teaching being on one site, the campus, wih accomodation nearby and close to the city.

So if I were you I'd still look at Nottingham as is a good uni and good for engineering and I know a lot of people who go there and love the social life and nights out in the city.
Reply 19
[QUOTE="blacktabs"]
mfc20
QUOTE]

I would have said loughborough but as you've said you want to be in a city, probably not a brilliant idea.

And you seem to be turning down Nottingham because it is a campus well birmingham is a very similar set up to Nottingham and is also a campus uni really with all of the academic buildings and teaching being on one site, the campus, wih accomodation nearby and close to the city.

So if I were you I'd still look at Nottingham as is a good uni and good for engineering and I know a lot of people who go there and love the social life and nights out in the city.

Ah right cheers for clearing that up! I had it in my head campus = Warwick style out in the country, but if it's like Birmingham style campus (near the city centre) I'll definitely give it strong consideration! Cheers :biggrin: