The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SomeoneYouDon'tKnow
Thanks, that's ok then. :smile: Except now I'm considering applying to Edinburgh instead. XD Decisions, decisions. Oh, and I'm a girl by the way :tongue:

Haha I am a boy but i wouldn't rule Newcastle out yet, wait until you get your UKCAT score :biggrin:
i contacted admissions the other day and the cut off for 2011 entry has yet to be released as the "cycle is still continuing" for 2010 entry it was 650 average
Reply 22
Original post by raveen789
Oh good news i hope its less then 680 im worrying a lot about the UKCAT i can't think as fast as it wants me to! :frown: how did you do in it :biggrin: maybe with practice i might improve my speed :smile:

Ah good luck to you! When do you do it? I think you'll be fine, QR and DA were easy, (especially QR, which in practice I found quite hard!) VR was fine, and I found AR pretty hard (got 590 on that haha). The trouble with AR I think was that most of the patterns which seemed really complex :/ Don't worry about speed, the last thing you should do is rush it! If you don't manage to answer all the questions it's not a problem as you can still get a good score by guessing a few!
Reply 23
Original post by ob.is.a.bit.good
i contacted admissions the other day and the cut off for 2011 entry has yet to be released as the "cycle is still continuing" for 2010 entry it was 650 average

Can't argue with that then! :smile: thank you!
Reply 24
Original post by Marky
Ah good luck to you! When do you do it? I think you'll be fine, QR and DA were easy, (especially QR, which in practice I found quite hard!) VR was fine, and I found AR pretty hard (got 590 on that haha). The trouble with AR I think was that most of the patterns which seemed really complex :/ Don't worry about speed, the last thing you should do is rush it! If you don't manage to answer all the questions it's not a problem as you can still get a good score by guessing a few!

Yeah true! thank you I will probably do it early September I have the 600Q book and I will probably give myself roughly 3 weeks to prepare for it. :smile: what was your average score?
Reply 25
Yeah true! thank you I will probably do it early September I have the 600Q book and I will probably give myself roughly 3 weeks to prepare for it. :smile: what was your average score?

I got 680 :smile: So relieved! Three weeks should be enough, you'll be fine! Good luck to ya!
Reply 26

Seriously you dont need to worry if you guess a bunch. last year i guessed like all of my AR and got 760 in it.
Reply 27
On the open day talk they said last year it was roughly about 2700 total, so a 675 average
Reply 28
eugh, yeah I think anything below 700 is risky, and considering we only actually have four options...
Reply 29
any internationals applying to newcastle?
Reply 30
Original post by doctork2

any internationals applying to newcastle?

yup me :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Metastasis
yup me :smile:

Do you think an avg of 685 is enough for newcastle? I think it's a bit too low...

Also, if you can, can you tell me which universities look at the INDIVIDUAL SECTIONS of the UKCAT?

Thank you!
Reply 32

Do you think an avg of 685 is enough for newcastle? I think it's a bit too low...

Also, if you can, can you tell me which universities look at the INDIVIDUAL SECTIONS of the UKCAT?

Thank you!

hi i'm not sure about that... but i read the forums and they said just to be sure your ukcat score should be like 700 and above?

also, i don't think i know of any unis where they do that. leicester used to, but they changed their scoring process (check their website for more details :smile:)

hope that helps! generally i think international and local applicants have similar entry requirements, it's just that for international students the competition is higher? due to the less spots available generally... not sure about that too though.
God I ****ing hope its low!
I got 675 this time :frown:
Last year I got 687.5 & an interview (obviously not an offer though... lol? :frown: )
Newcastle is my top choice!
Reply 34

Thank you!

I am also an international applicant and I think your UKCAT score is not so bad.Mine is.I got 580 and it extremely bad as compared to you all.I think its nottingham that looks at scores of each of the sections.You can have a look at its website for confirmation.
Reply 35
do you reckon the cut off is gonna rise above 710-ish this year?

edit: negged for a question???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by laurie:)
do you reckon the cut off is gonna rise above 710-ish this year?

Considering they interview over 1000 applicants, no.
Reply 37
Original post by apple17
Would you recommend applying with 685?

:s-smilie:

I can only tell you whether you will be eligible or not to apply. Recommendations from anyone will affect a decision you should make yourself. This way, you will have no regrets! xD

Sorry :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Vulpes
:s-smilie:

I can only tell you whether you will be eligible or not to apply. Recommendations from anyone will affect a decision you should make yourself. This way, you will have no regrets! xD

Sorry :smile:

Its okay. Thanks anyways
just wondering about Ukcat cutoffs. I have heard its usually lower for internationals?
Reply 39
Original post by apple17
Its okay. Thanks anyways
just wondering about Ukcat cutoffs. I have heard its usually lower for internationals?

That is definitely the case for Sheffield. I heard someone received an offer with 650 when the home cutoff was 717.5. Glasgow's cutoff is the same for both internationals and home students. However, I can't be sure about other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending