The Student Room Group

Do people stare at ugly girls

I know that this sounds like a stupid question but I am so self concious about how I look and sometimes I just see people staring at me. It's gotten to the point where if someone so much as locks eyes with me for over a second I feel depressed about how I look.

It happens too often to be a coincidence - please don't tell me it's all in my head because I know it's not.

I get really depressed over the way I look and these people make me feel even worse. Is there such a thing as being ugly enugh to get stared at.

Please don't leave nasty answers, just honest ones.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only way to get a satisfactory answer is to post pics :wink: failing that, have you considered that the reason these people are staring at you is actually because you're very pretty? My eyes certainly tend to linger longer on attractive people than ugly ones, that's just me though.
Reply 2
No because people just won't notice you at all if you're that ugly!!
No, they're most probably checking you out. Which is a good thing.
Sometimes (rarely) i stare at people i find ugly to work out what someone else sees in them. Sometimes (rarely) i stare at people i find attractive and wonder why everyone else finds them ugly. I catch peoples eyes all the time from people i dont even think about when i see them. Very rarely do i judge someone on looks and i certainly dont stare at them. I might look at someone (never in the eye) who is incredibly obese and wonder how/why they got that big, but its never in a nasty way. The people i look most at though are those who look miserable. Usually shop assistants.
Sorry but all these people are trying to not hurt your feelings. We can't know if you are actually ugly or not unless you post a picture, but yes, people do stare at ugly people as well as attractive people.
I used to wonder about this a LOT, because I have absolutely terrible skin and get really self-concious about it: when people stared at me, or looked at my face not my eyes, I got really down in the dumps, too. However, even though my skin hasn't improved, I have actually been much happier recently because a) a girl I know quite well told me recently that a bunch of guys were talking about how pretty I was, b) a guy I only just met called me pretty and c) I have more self-confidence. Most people's appearance subtly changes over time, to the extent that they can go from what they perceive as ugly, to what others perceive as gorgeous.

Don't forget that beauty is subjective, and everyone has their own opinion, and no-one is right or wrong in their opinion. People tend to stare at people, conciously or not, so you have to make a change within yourself to get over the feeling of being watched. Accept who you are and what you look like, and notice the positive things about yourself. :biggrin:
Original post by nickth
No because people just won't notice you at all if you're that ugly!!

What if you're so abnormally ugly - ugly to the highest calibre - that you actually draw attention to yourself?
no, people stare at attractive girls. everywhere they go.

people do lock eyes for a second all the time just by accident though. you can't walk down the street without it happening 10 times. it's weird but you shouldn't read into it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by An Aspiring Guy
What if you're so abnormally ugly - ugly to the highest calibre - that you actually draw attention to yourself?

People generally stare if someone has an outstandingly ugly feature such as a monobrow or a giant mole on the side of the face. People also stare at disabilities. I can't think of when I've unintentionally stared at someone for being plain ugly...
Reply 10
Original post by myfavouritesong
I know that this sounds like a stupid question but I am so self concious about how I look and sometimes I just see people staring at me. It's gotten to the point where if someone so much as locks eyes with me for over a second I feel depressed about how I look.

It happens too often to be a coincidence - please don't tell me it's all in my head because I know it's not.

I get really depressed over the way I look and these people make me feel even worse. Is there such a thing as being ugly enugh to get stared at.

Please don't leave nasty answers, just honest ones.

Lol.

^
|
Your current pose.

"Why are so many people looking at my body for long periods of time? It must be because I'm so ugly."

Compliment fishing.
Original post by Nepene
Lol.

^
|
Your current pose.

"Why are so many people looking at my body for long periods of time? It must be because I'm so ugly."

Compliment fishing.

Are you taking the piss? I would never in my life go out with half myself hanging out and How can I be fishing for compliments when this is an internet forum where no one knows who I am and I have not posted a picture. This question was a genuine one.
Reply 12
Are you taking the piss? I would never in my life go out with half myself hanging out and How can I be fishing for compliments when this is an internet forum where no one knows who I am and I have not posted a picture. This question was a genuine one.

Asking whether you're ugly because men are looking at your body a lot is a well known method for women to fish for compliments. It would be like a man saying a woman broke up with him because his penis was too big for her.

Ok, if it was genuine, men look at the bodies of attractive people, not ugly people. If men actually are looking at your body. I'm suspicious.
Original post by Nepene
Asking whether you're ugly because men are looking at your body a lot is a well known method for women to fish for compliments. It would be like a man saying a woman broke up with him because his penis was too big for her.

Ok, if it was genuine, men look at the bodies of attractive people, not ugly people. If men actually are looking at your body. I'm suspicious.

I dont think I mentioned my body, I meant my face. I'm paranoid about the way my face might look to people. I get you think I want compliments ( a lot of girls do do that) but thats really not it. It's hard to get people to understand what I'm feeling when they haven't felt this way themselves.)
Reply 14
I dont think I mentioned my body, I meant my face. I'm paranoid about the way my face might look to people. I get you think I want compliments ( a lot of girls do do that) but thats really not it. It's hard to get people to understand what I'm feeling when they haven't felt this way themselves.)

Men look at girl's faces to determine how good they are for a relationship, their bodies to determine how good they are for sex. Mostly.

Well, most girls who aren't that attractive, and guys who aren't extremely attractive have the problem that people just don't look at us. So you'll get little sympathy when you get exactly what we want happening to you.
Original post by Nepene

So you'll get little sympathy when you get exactly what we want happening to you.

You've lost me and sort of gone off topic.
Reply 16
You've lost me and sort of gone off topic.

No I haven't. Do people stare at ugly girls? No, they stare at pretty girls. You advertising that people stare at you isn't all that endearing to everyone else who doesn't get stared at.
Original post by Nepene
Men look at girl's faces to determine how good they are for a relationship, their bodies to determine how good they are for sex.

Fair point!
I understand how you feel. I have asked the exact question. And I hate compliments because people will lie to avoid making someone feel bad about themselves... although I've been accused of it, I'm not fishing for them, I don't even believe a compliment even if they do say it's genuine. Which is why I've sought out a therapist. I can't speak for you but I have a negative self image. Im working on not giving f***s about what others think,and loving myself for who I am, not how "I think" others see me. You should give it a try, its exhausting worrying about everyone else! Its working for me!... hope this helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
An ugly girl might be ugly to oe person, but then to me might be very cute.

Like right now I've got a crush on a girl that some people have said is ugly, but I find her adorable to say the least.

Latest