The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is the TI-82 Stats okay for use in exams?
Reply 81
LOL our school advised us to get the calculator which can integrate as a back up in the exam (even though I can do calculus comfortably, why not make sure!)
Reply 82
We get given calculators by school, so all's good. :dontknow:
Reply 83
Couple of questions:

1) Is the TI-nspire CX CAS banned?

2) Is the TI-nspire CX (non-CAS) okay?

I guess it's like that but just want to check. Don't really want to wind up with my calc confiscated - but at the same time if the CX CAS isn't banned, I want it!
Reply 84
Original post by Pandora.
We get given calculators by school, so all's good. :dontknow:

Ours don't ;[ My mum had to fork out £16 for 2 calculators for me and my sister lol
lol it doesnt matter THEY NEVER CHECK what calculator your using
is the TI-84 Plus silver edition okay for the exams?
Reply 87
I could have formula written in bright orange ink all over my calculator during my exams and no one would do anything. You have to love lazy lecturers..
My HP 39gs can do basic symbolic differentiation and integration but the college let me use it anyway, though thats probs because they didn't know.
Reply 89
Original post by Mr M
Those people in the examination hall with you are called invigilators. It would not be unreasonable to expect them to be vigilant.

Your Centre could also be inspected by your Awarding Body during your examination.

In my day, you used to have to write the make and model of your calculator on the front of your answer book.

do you have the ocr c1 c2 papers please?
Reply 90
Original post by lvaru
do you have the ocr c1 c2 papers please?

Wrong thread buddy.
I have a TI-83 and i'm pretty sure (but not certain) that it can't perform symbolic integration/equation manipulation, though it does ofcourse integrate between limits, draws graphs and is very handy for FM as it will do sums involving complex numbers i.e. give me the answer to (1+2i)^2 if i type that in.

Is it banned or legal in AQA mathematics? Need a urgent reply please if anyone knows as i plan on using it tomorrow for two mathematics exams!

Thanks!
Reply 92
It's fine.

It's just CAS that's banned. Only models TI make (AFAIK) are the 89-Titanium and nspire (CX) CAS.

I believe CAS on the nspire CAS can be disabled in press-to-test mode, but I'm not certain.
Yeah they never check our calculators so therefore people bring in calculators from the banned list frequently. SIGH.
Are graphical calculators allowed?
Original post by Alientrooper
Are graphical calculators allowed?

Yeah.

Today, I was in isolation with a couple of other people because I had S3 and C3 at the same time. The invigilator read a book for the 3 hours of exams. And my graphical calculator's never been checked, even though it has a really obvious USB port on it that can be used for installing programs.
Reply 96
Original post by Contrad!ction.
And my graphical calculator's never been checked, even though it has a really obvious USB port on it that can be used for installing programs.

That doesn't mean it's not allowed.

Only criteria are:

Symbolic algebra/differentiation/integration

Ability to recall stored documents or formulae

Original post by FO12DY
That doesn't mean it's not allowed.

Only criteria are:

Symbolic algebra/differentiation/integration

Ability to recall stored documents or formulae

Nope, I know - I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't use it. I'm saying that the USB port allows me to download stuff that isn't allowed, and the invigilators have never checked that I've cleared the memory. Before the exams, I had some notes stored on it, as well as symbolic differentiation/integration.
Reply 98
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Nope, I know - I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't use it. I'm saying that the USB port allows me to download stuff that isn't allowed, and the invigilators have never checked that I've cleared the memory. Before the exams, I had some notes stored on it, as well as symbolic differentiation/integration.

Oh okay.

Same deal with my nspire, it has a 'Press-to-Test mode', I've always used it but I've never been questioned about it.

I had spreadsheets stored for Statistics, until I took S1 and read "no retrievable docs" on the front, so I used PTT then and have since.
Reply 99
i agree, this calculator ban list is dumb