The Student Room Group

American looking at UK unis strong in sociology

Hi! I'm Jocelyn, and I'm currently a sophomore at an American high school. I hope to pursue a sociology program in the UK. What schools (preferably in England, and close/in a metropolitan area) are best known for their sociology programs? Thanks!
I suggest you try using a league table to determine which schools have the best sociology programs and them researching the schools to see which you like.

According to The Complete Universty Guide ( I'm a fellow American, so I can't really say of it's a reputable source or not) the best schools for sociology are:
-Cambridge
-LSE
-Durham
-Warwick
- Bath

Depending on how good your SAT/ AP scores are, you might want to look at LSE, as it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.
Original post by rockholdjk
Hi! I'm Jocelyn, and I'm currently a sophomore at an American high school. I hope to pursue a sociology program in the UK. What schools (preferably in England, and close/in a metropolitan area) are best known for their sociology programs? Thanks!

A lot of this will depend on how good your grades are. As a rule, overall, the best universities are those which refer to a good sized town / city (e.g. University of Manchester), not a vague area (e.g. University of Central Lancashire), and do not have random other things in their name (e.g. Leeds Metropolitan, Liverpool Hope). There are some exceptions to this, notably the various University of London colleges such as UCL, KCL, LSE and RHUL. The Russell Group (large, research intensive unis) and 1994 Group (smaller, research intensive unis) contain the most prestigious unis overall.

League tables are a pile of tosh anyway - they can be so easily manipulated to show whatever you want to show. I saw one which placed Bucks New at the top. 'Nuff said.

Best thing to do when choosing a uni is to look at the detailed course content, including what is covered in each module. Each sociology course will be very different, and will have different emphases. Whilst I'm not too familiar with sociology itself, I know that for instance, for Politics, Exeter has a very Middle Eastern focus - primarily because it's had lots of funding from that part of the world!
Try looking into:
Cambridge
LSE
Loughborough
Bath
Warwick
Bristol
Essex
Manchester
Surrey
Kent
Durham

It will depend on what kind of grades you have
Reply 4
Cambridge
LSE
Durham
Warwick
Edinburgh
SOAS
Lancaster
Bath
Surrey
Sussex
Bristol
York
Reply 5
WHO HAS NEGGED EVERYONE? We made good suggestions you fooooooool.
Original post by Ladyliesel
Try looking into:
Cambridge
LSE
Loughborough
Bath
Warwick
Bristol
Essex
Manchester
Surrey
Kent
Durham

It will depend on what kind of grades you have

I go to Essex, and apparently the Sociology Department is responsible for producing 50% of the professors in the UK HE system, according to Wikipedia...
Reply 7
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=457267

Try this it's got some links in it might help you good luck in finding a uni and good luck in getting in. What are your grades just out of interest.

Quick Reply

Latest