The Student Room Group

Durham University - Accounting and Finance (Massive let down) :(

I went to a post-application open day yesterday at Queens Campus(John Snow College) for my chosen degree Accounting and Finance. Before going to the open day i done a bit of market research about the campus. The general consensus was that it was in a terrible location(dead town). However i decided to keep an open mind and travel 4 hours by train/tube to the campus and see it for myself.

Taking all things into consideration i was bitterly disappointed with what i saw. Although the Campus and sport facilities were modern and up to date, the atmosphere was almost non existent, it felt like a concrete jungle(peaceful and quite).
Looking at John snow from the outside all looked well, however the rooms were small, the kitchen did not look nice and it was a bit of a trek from the main university. Apparently no student events take place at queens campus, however on Thursday they go to Middlesbrough for a student night out :frown:

I bought my train tickets late so i had to pay a nearly £200 punds for my ticket, just to be left bitterly stricken with disappointment.
I'm sorry to hear that. I went yesterday too for John Snow college and loved it, I thought it was much better than what I had read on review sites etc and thought the town was really nice. I guess its just different tastes. Where else have you had offers from?
Reply 2
Does this mean that they are not going to give any accounting and finance offers as there has already been a post offer open day. I am still waiting for an offer
Reply 3
Original post by scaredofexams
I'm sorry to hear that. I went yesterday too for John Snow college and loved it, I thought it was much better than what I had read on review sites etc and thought the town was really nice. I guess its just different tastes. Where else have you had offers from?

I have also had offers from Sheffield, York,UEA and Kent. So I have only been to Durham & Sheffield. I loved the atmosphere in Sheffield and the accommodation. Yourself?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Completely agree with Nana_A.

Had a frightening experience.

Went to the post-offer open day on Monday, a long 5 hr trip from my school, and from the moment I got out of the train station was a bit taken aback by what I saw, a bit of a dead town, saw hardly any life around.
Was then taked on a tour of snow, and the usual, I liked the accommodation, looked reasonable, and the college was nice as well as the students who were there then.
Also had the a lecture regarding the course, which i found interesting.

At this point it was 50/50 whether I would go there, but then I took a stroll around town after the open day and was in Thornaby, and basically I got chased by a stranger who was following me initially and calling me trying to get my attention but I ignored, and then all of a sudden he actually started running after me.

Following the experience, It was a definite no no for me.

The ONLY way I think I can go there is if after my first year I move to Durham City and get a flat with some friends that I make during my first year, and commute to Queens campus everyday, because the town just seems a bit dodgy to live in.

However, everyone has different tastes, as you can see, scaredofexams absolutely loved it, so I think everyone should check it out themselves. They might get a different experience.
Reply 5
Original post by deeny

Also had the a lecture regarding the course, which i found interesting.

At this point it was 50/50 whether I would go there, but then I took a stroll around town after the open day and was in Thornaby, and basically I got chased by a stranger who was following me initially and calling me trying to get my attention but I ignored, and then all of a sudden he actually started running after me.

Following the experience, It was a definite no no for me.

The ONLY way I think I can go there is if after my first year I move to Durham City

Sorry to hear about what happened to you Deeny, getting chased by a stranger in an area that is completely unfamiliar to you is enough to put most people off.

Yes i found the mini lecture interesting as i liked the lecturers sense of humour, he seems like the type of person that will get the best out of his students.

Commuting from Durham city to Thornaby every day might affect your studies.

What other unis have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 6
Original post by scaredofexams

Better stick with the Personal Finance Assignment, it's gonna kill most of us tbh.
Reply 7
I went to Kent University, and even the Lecturer in the Business department said that they aspire to be like Durham and Exeter...

This is such a tough decision, no point going to a place just based on its reputations...ahh
Nana_A
Did you apply for a undergraduate programme in Accounting & Finance or a postgraduate programme?
Reply 9
Original post by smilinggtearss
Nana_A
Did you apply for a undergraduate programme in Accounting & Finance or a postgraduate programme?

Undergraduate
Is the Stockton campus a t Durham really bad?
I have to decide between this and Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest