The Student Room Group

Renault Clio 2.0 16V Renaultsport 172

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dan1909
Well, thankfully not everyone has your sense of taste. You may like old cars, but there's a lot of people (the vast majority) who don't.

Pretty ignorant thing to say really.

I can't see what's to get exciting about some guttless turd that doesn't have the power to get out of it's own way AND costs a fortune to put on the road. Seems pretty bloody stupid to me.

In any case, I don't JUST buy old cars. I've had plenty of modern stuff.
Reply 21
Original post by JC.
I can't see what's to get exciting about some guttless turd that doesn't have the power to get out of it's own way AND costs a fortune to put on the road. Seems pretty bloody stupid to me.

In any case, I don't JUST buy old cars. I've had plenty of modern stuff.

Hang on, so a 182 Clio or similar hatch is gutless? Hardly. And muchcheaper to run than any larger car with similar performance figures.

Seems you just have something against hatchbacks.

Edit - Just to add some numbers to this, a 182 Clio (not even the fastest hatch) will do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, and give around 35MPG, whereas (from a quick google) your MG V8 will do 0-60 in around 8. So if the Clio is "gutless", and your car is even slower, what does that make your car? Also how close can you get to 35MPG in normal driving? I doubt you'd get anywhere near that, making your car slower, and more expensive on fuel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Doubt he'll be able to get insurance on it when he turns 17 anyway.
Reply 23
Original post by Camoxide
Doubt he'll be able to get insurance on it when he turns 17 anyway.

Yeah that will be the killer. Chances are most insurers will just laugh and push him away.

Even at 21 with 4 years no claims, I was looking at >£1000 to insure a 182 Clio, so at 17 it'll just be painful.
Reply 24
Original post by Dan1909
Hang on, so a 182 Clio or similar hatch is gutless? Hardly. And muchcheaper to run than any larger car with similar performance figures.

Edit - Just to add some numbers to this, a 182 Clio (not even the fastest hatch) will do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, and give around 35MPG, whereas (from a quick google) your MG V8 will do 0-60 in around 8. So if the Clio is "gutless", and your car is even slower, what does that make your car? Also how close can you get to 35MPG in normal driving? I doubt you'd get anywhere near that, making your car slower, and more expensive on fuel.

Not sure why people quote 0-60 times? when do you actually do that in real life? What you do a lot of is 30 - 70mph in top. In any case, my car is nowhere near standard under the bonnet and I couldn't give a balls about how much fuel it uses. Never have done. Insurance is 100 quid a year, though...
Reply 25
Original post by JC.
Not sure why people quote 0-60 times? when do you actually do that in real life? What you do a lot of is 30 - 70mph in top. In any case, my car is nowhere near standard under the bonnet and I couldn't give a balls about how much fuel it uses. Never have done. Insurance is 100 quid a year, though...

Well you said that the hatches have no performance, so I chose the most commonly used measure of performance to rate the cars by.

And you're contradicting yourself a bit now... First you were complaining that hatchbacks are too expensive, now you "don't give a balls" about fuel usage? Surely then the running costs of a hatchback (which WILL, no matter what you might want to think, be cheaper than your classic V8) aren't a point you should be using as your argument?

Edit - Also it's irrelevant if your car is modified or not, as you can easily modify either car, making it a completely moot point.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Dan1909
Well you said that the hatches have no performance, so I chose the most commonly used measure of performance to rate the cars by.

And you're contradicting yourself a bit now... First you were complaining that hatchbacks are too expensive, now you "don't give a balls" about fuel usage? Surely then the running costs of a hatchback (which WILL, no matter what you might want to think, be cheaper than your classic V8) aren't a point you should be using as your argument?

I never suggested anyone should go out and buy the same car I drive. You were the one that brought it up. It suits me just fine for my needs but it certainly won't work for everyone.

If I wanted something modern, with reasonable insurance prices and relitively decent fuel economy I'd look towards a mid sized saloon. Every sheep drives a hatchback so subsequently insurance prices - the purpose of this thread - are higher. i.e the Golf buyer would be fiscally better off with a Passat as an example.

If you buy a hatchback you're just saying to the world "I'm a sheep and I'm getting ripped off".
Original post by Dan1909

30-70mph is a better indication of real world performance..

I raced a 182 with ITB`s, cams and an emerald ecu at santa pod. Ran a 14.3 at 97mph. That car doesnt do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds standard.
Reply 28
Original post by JC.
I never suggested anyone should go out and buy the same car I drive. You were the one that brought it up. It suits me just fine for my needs but it certainly won't work for everyone.

If I wanted something modern, with reasonable insurance prices and relitively decent fuel economy I'd look towards a mid sized saloon. Every sheep drives a hatchback so subsequently insurance prices - the purpose of this thread - are higher. i.e the Golf buyer would be fiscally better off with a Passat as an example.

If you buy a hatchback you're just saying to the world "I'm a sheep and I'm getting ripped off".

Yes, because people who buy the car they want are sheep, there is absolutely no logic in that. I have absolutely no interest in buying a saloon, I just have no need for a car that size, at all, so I bought a hatchback, and went for a sports model.

A passat is a completely different type of car to a golf, and probably a car that just won't appeal to people who are interested in buying a golf.

I could turn around and say you're a sheep for buying an old car, because other people buy old cars, when they could spend less and get a newer, more reliable, faster, more efficient car with more technology (if they want it). However that makes as little sense as what you have said, so obviously I can't say that.
Reply 29
Original post by Sam Walters
30-70mph is a better indication of real world performance..

I raced a 182 with ITB`s, cams and an emerald ecu at santa pod. Ran a 14.3 at 97mph. That car doesnt do 0-60 in less than 7 seconds standard.

As I said, I just picked the most commonly used reference, I'm sure there are better ways, but I just chose the easiest.

6.9 seconds is the stated time for 0-62 on a standard 182 Clio, and seems to be widely accepted as accurate. I've not got one myself, so can't say any more than what I've read in reviews from people who have owned/raced/reviewed them.

If you want to dig out 30-70MPH times for the MG V8 (in standard form), and a standard 182 Clio feel free, I'd be genuinely interested to see how they compare, but I think they'll be more difficult to find.
Reply 30
Original post by JC.
Golf buyer would be fiscally better off with a Passat as an example.

Actually, they won't. I've been looking for a new car, found a Golf mk4 SE 1.9 tdi (130bhp) and a Bora (for anyone that doesn't know it's a Golf Mk4 saloon) SE 1.9 tdi (130bhp).

Golf was £1,200 to insure fully comp.
Bora was £1,600 to insure.
Go figure.

And, back to what you said before, yeah a lot of modern cars are crap. Many more are soulless crap. My dream first car was a VW Caddy Estate or Volvo 340. However, I haven't got the time, money or space to keep a nice old car going :frown: Also, whilst I'd love something with character, at the end of the day practicality wins: car that starts first time, decent stereo, air con and heater that works :frown:
Original post by Dan1909
As I said, I just picked the most commonly used reference, I'm sure there are better ways, but I just chose the easiest.

6.9 seconds is the stated time for 0-62 on a standard 182 Clio, and seems to be widely accepted as accurate. I've not got one myself, so can't say any more than what I've read in reviews from people who have owned/raced/reviewed them.

If you want to dig out 30-70MPH times for the MG V8 (in standard form), and a standard 182 Clio feel free, I'd be genuinely interested to see how they compare, but I think they'll be more difficult to find.

Lets not beat around the bush, i dont need to find those figures out. The 182 will widdle all over the v8. Only in the 0-60 does the v8 stand a chance.

However its unlikely youll find a mgb v8 un molsted. Also the modifications on an mgb will mostl ikely be performance orientated rather then the clio there.

I had a car when i was 17 that would run quicker 1/4 times then a 182.
Reply 32
I'm amazed a Renault with 100000+ miles on it has not self combusted and has any interior left. All the Renault's I have been in, they shed trim as soon as they leave the forecourt.

Maybe that is why it has stupid wheels and a phat exhaust, the original ones fell off.

As for classic cars, my fairly standard S2k just about hangs with the E-Type. The S2k has around 210whp and the E-Type has about 260whp. But the E-Type weighs soooo much and has an engine twice the size of my car. The 172 will easily beat a MGB V8. Given the V8 has about 140bhp and if modded maybe 200bhp. The Clio is 172bhp (surprise surprise!) and weighs nothing. Power:Weight is key and the Clio wins, you need a large differential in power to counteract weight advantage.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by gbduo
The 172 will easily beat a MGB V8. Given the V8 has about 140bhp and if modded maybe 200bhp. The Clio is 172bhp (surprise surprise!) and weighs nothing. Power:Weight is key and the Clio wins, you need a large differential in power to counteract weight advantage.

Not quite sure why we're still talking about my car, but...
V8 weighs a ton with fluids same as the clio?
Clio has 150ftlbs of torque my V8 has around 220ftlbs

As for E types being heavey - they are 1.3 tons - hardly heavey.
A "little" corsa is around 1.6 tons. That's heavey.
Reply 34
Original post by gbduo
I'm amazed a Renault with 100000+ miles on it has not self combusted and has any interior left. All the Renault's I have been in, they shed trim as soon as they leave the forecourt.

Maybe that is why it has stupid wheels and a phat exhaust, the original ones fell off.

As for classic cars, my fairly standard S2k just about hangs with the E-Type. The S2k has around 210whp and the E-Type has about 260whp. But the E-Type weighs soooo much and has an engine twice the size of my car. The 172 will easily beat a MGB V8. Given the V8 has about 140bhp and if modded maybe 200bhp. The Clio is 172bhp (surprise surprise!) and weighs nothing. Power:Weight is key and the Clio wins, you need a large differential in power to counteract weight advantage.

Ironically, the exhaust was a weak point on the 1*2 clios and was near enough guaranteed to rust through by the time it gets to 60k (maybe more, can't remember the exact number), so most cars above the mileage have a replacement exhaust as they're often cheaper than OEM. So you're completely right there!
Reply 35
Original post by JC.
Not quite sure why we're still talking about my car, but...
V8 weighs a ton with fluids same as the clio?
Clio has 150ftlbs of torque my V8 has around 220ftlbs

As for E types being heavey - they are 1.3 tons - hardly heavey.
A "little" corsa is around 1.6 tons. That's heavey.

Are they?! That is the heaviest 1.3tonnes I have ever pushed then! Sodding car!

Ummm, not so sure! Would be an interesting race I think!
Reply 36
Original post by Dan1909
Ironically, the exhaust was a weak point on the 1*2 clios and was near enough guaranteed to rust through by the time it gets to 60k (maybe more, can't remember the exact number), so most cars above the mileage have a replacement exhaust as they're often cheaper than OEM. So you're completely right there!

Haha! Well Renault's are not built for longevity lol!
Reply 37
Original post by gbduo
Are they?! That is the heaviest 1.3tonnes I have ever pushed then! Sodding car!

Ummm, not so sure! Would be an interesting race I think!

The main reason Nic and I tend only to buy cars with V8's these days is they are effortless to drive when you're not in the mood to play because they are so torquey and can be a bit of a handfull when you are in the mood.
That and, well, listen...

I miss that car.
Reply 38
OP, insurance premiums are getting higher. That Renault is pretty much out of the question especially if you're 16. The car suggests 'boyracer' style and since you're a male the insurance is going to be heavy. For a decent price you can get one with lower mileage and group 1 on autotrader assuming you just want a car in good shape to get from A to B. There's no need to get a Renault Clio 2.0 16V Renaultsport 172 unless you yourself want to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by JC.
The main reason Nic and I tend only to buy cars with V8's these days is they are effortless to drive when you're not in the mood to play because they are so torquey and can be a bit of a handfull when you are in the mood.
That and, well, listen...

I miss that car.

Oh yeh for sure! Which is why I have the XJ8, just effortless power without stringing the neck out of the engine which you have to do in Honda engines. And yeh, the soundtrack is EPIC! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest