The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Honours

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anybody could help me, I am currently studying 3rd year honours at Glasgow University, what happens if somehow a particular person fails their exams at this point in Uni? Is that it all by or are they entitled to resits...or can they resit the year?
Reply 1
Hi, i know this is totally irrelevant but I'm really unsure about Glasgow or edinburgh uni (both unconditionals) but just wondering since youre a student, what do you think of the other students at glasgow uni? do you get a lot of help on your course? whats student life like? What you studying? Do you regret choosing glasgow? thanks :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi there, I had to choose between both Glasgow and Edinburgh when I first decided to come to University. My decision being Glasgow. Both are academically as good as one another shown by the University League Tables, so nobody can really say one or the other is better. The students at Glasgow are great in general, however, and I'm sure this will be the same in Edinburgh, there is a small majority who think very highly of themselves, normally posh people who are very condescending, not towards the students at Glasgow, but towards other students at less academical Universities such as UWS and Caledonian.

Help wise, it's brilliant. Glasgow University always has tutorials, workshops, open office hours, etc for any help required, definitely won't be disappointed in that field. The student life in Glasgow is also second to none, the west end is a fantastic place for going out at night whether its to a pub, restaurant or club. Prices are very cheap also depending where abouts you decide to go. I study Mathematics and I don't regret going to Glasgow at all, I just regret my degree choice as the amount of work required is quite intense lol. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Casanova_1
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anybody could help me, I am currently studying 3rd year honours at Glasgow University, what happens if somehow a particular person fails their exams at this point in Uni? Is that it all by or are they entitled to resits...or can they resit the year?

Go onto the library website and check if there are resit papers for the courses you're sitting. Or alternatively email whoever your supervisor is.
Original post by Norton1
Go onto the library website and check if there are resit papers for the courses you're sitting. Or alternatively email whoever your supervisor is.

Resit papers might exist, but the resit only available to people who had 'good cause' to miss/fail the first attempt.
Reply 5
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Resit papers might exist, but the resit only available to people who had 'good cause' to miss/fail the first attempt.

Yes, possibly. I'm not even sure there are resits for honours. I think the real answer to the question is to email someone in the department.
Original post by Norton1
Yes, possibly. I'm not even sure there are resits for honours. I think the real answer to the question is to email someone in the department.

I'm certain there aren't, although there are resit papers. You're right, of course, best policy is to email.
Reply 7
Hi there, I had to choose between both Glasgow and Edinburgh when I first decided to come to University. My decision being Glasgow. Both are academically as good as one another shown by the University League Tables, so nobody can really say one or the other is better. The students at Glasgow are great in general, however, and I'm sure this will be the same in Edinburgh, there is a small majority who think very highly of themselves, normally posh people who are very condescending, not towards the students at Glasgow, but towards other students at less academical Universities such as UWS and Caledonian.

Help wise, it's brilliant. Glasgow University always has tutorials, workshops, open office hours, etc for any help required, definitely won't be disappointed in that field. The student life in Glasgow is also second to none, the west end is a fantastic place for going out at night whether its to a pub, restaurant or club. Prices are very cheap also depending where abouts you decide to go. I study Mathematics and I don't regret going to Glasgow at all, I just regret my degree choice as the amount of work required is quite intense lol. Hope this helps.

Thanks :smile: So your saying glasgow uni students are condescending towards other glasgow uni students who go to caledonian and UWS? Is there a lot of job opportunities and internships? Also, why did you choose glasgow in the end? WHy didnt you choose Edinburgh? :biggrin:
Reply 8
I don't regret going to Glasgow at all, I just regret my degree choice as the amount of work required is quite intense lol.

What subjects did you take maths with? I was thinking about studying Maths+Economics there, but I'm quite scared of the amount of work I would have to do. lol

(Sorry for not helping you with your problem and asking silly questions instead. :colondollar: )
If you want to do honours you need to pass your 3rd year exams in the first attempt. If you need to resit you will just have an ordinary degree. At least that's how it works in the School of Life Sciences.
Reply 10
Hi there! I would like to ask, if I still have a chance to get into Honours - either MCB or Biochemistry (I know the second one is not a popular choice) with my current grades (C2, D1, D1)? Not proud of them, but I can't change these now anyway, can I...
Reply 11
If there is very good cause you can resit. But evidence of good cause has to have been submitted by now, I believe, as the special circumstances boards and exam boards for all schools have already met.
At least in honours level in soc/pol sci you can resit under certain conditions but the resit will be the same time next year.

Quick Reply

Latest