The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phill mike hunt
what would my chances be for investment banking: chemistry degree from manchester uniersity

I think the real question is:
What's the point of asking the same thing in 2 different threads?
Nottingham L1R2 (Economics with German) vs Bristol L101 (Economics with a year in Germany)

any ideas people?
Original post by -Illmatic-
Nottingham L1R2 (Economics with German) vs Bristol L101 (Economics with a year in Germany)

any ideas people?

Bristol L101 definitely. I thought you weren't interested in IB :colone:
MORSE at Warwick
Econometrics at LSE
Stats Econ and Finance at UCL
Original post by Tomatochuckers

MORSE at Warwick
Econometrics at LSE

Hahaha. I love TSR. People give advice to others about what uni to go to to maximise their chance of getting into IB and then 5 minutes later ask the same question. Regardless of whether Bristol is better than Nottingham, that just sums up TSR. People who have no clue giving others advice. Brilliant.
Original post by Scorcher
X

OK tell me how the Nottingham degree is better then.
And I was initially planning of applying to econ for a year, so I know.
I'm new to these maths/statsy degree choices which I only started to consider 3 weeks ago. So I don't know about their 'value'
(edited 12 years ago)
MORSE at Warwick
Econometrics at LSE

There is no real difference in prestige between those three courses. To the naked eye, the LSE course may edge it, but none will hinder your chances of getting into IB.
(edited 12 years ago)
OK tell me how the Nottingham degree is better then.
And I was initially planning of applying to econ for a year, so I know.
I'm new to these maths/statsy degree choices which I only started to consider 3 weeks ago. So I don't know about their 'value'

The fact is you don't know about any degree 'value' as your not and have never been in the industry, let alone have a spring week under your belt.

Bristol may well be better than Nottingham which is what most on here say (who have had spring weeks, internships and seen for themselves).

Anyway I'm not digging you out personally, it's just something that happens all the time on here and I find it funny :smile:
I would strongly advise against trying to do one personal statement for those 5 subjects. The admission teams would see straight through it and immediately think your not interested in doing their degree.

Why don't you try Accounting and Finance at LSE? You don't need maths for that and it's a good degree. Then you could write a great PS focusing on finance for LSE and Cass x 2.
what are my chances doing Mathematical Science w Finance& economics at City University,

I'm not ruling out anything completely at the moment. Would like to do some sort of IB related interships during Uni perhaps.

x

So Bristol's L101? What do you think about the year in Germany aspect? Do IBs actively look for bi/trilingual people?
I'm not ruling out anything completely at the moment. Would like to do some sort of IB related interships during Uni perhaps.

So Bristol's L101? What do you think about the year in Germany aspect? Do IBs actively look for bi/trilingual people?

Well from the people I know in the city and some of the internship/spring week numbers on here it seems Bristol edges Nottingham.

Being bilingual is a great asset but only if your fluent and can have a business conversation with somebody in German otherwise it is pointless for IB.
Well from the people I know in the city and some of the internship/spring week numbers on here it seems Bristol edges Nottingham.

Being bilingual is a great asset but only if your fluent and can have a business conversation with somebody in German otherwise it is pointless for IB.

Interesting. Thanks for that mate. How are you getting on with IB? Are you a graduate?

To work in IBD at JPM you need some form of a 'global language IIRC. So it's only a bonus.
Hey there,

I'd ideally like a job in banking by the time university finishes and i'm looking to do computer science and management studies at nottingham

I'm just curious asto whether this degree. (In tandem with ABB for A Levels) would be good enough to get me into banking or consultancy.

Thanks for reading this.
Reply 8375
People, can you be more specific with what areas of banking you want to go into? BO and MO is a completely different ball game to IBD and Markets.
Personally, I would put LSE and King's as my top choice (I know people who did both those subjects at those unis who are now working in investment banks), and UCL as my back-up.

I think Information Management is less relevant to banking, but may be quite strongly related to consulting firms especially Accenture etc.

To be honest, firms don't really care what degree you have. I have friends in those industries who did degrees in Chemistry, History, English, Geography etc. - all that matters is a good grade from a good uni. The relevance of the subject may help you answer questions in the interview/assessment centre, but that's it really.

As for the personal statement, I wouldn't worry about picking subjects to make your personal statement easier. I applied for totally different subjects, and that was clear from reading my personal statement, but I still got offers from all the unis I applied to (LSE, King's, UCL, Oxford). The personal statement is more about selling yourself, than proving you know what subject you're applying to - that's a given.
Original post by a_mashru88
Personally, I would put LSE and King's as my top choice (I know people who did both those subjects at those unis who are now working in investment banks), and UCL as my back-up.

I think Information Management is less relevant to banking, but may be quite strongly related to consulting firms especially Accenture etc.

To be honest, firms don't really care what degree you have. I have friends in those industries who did degrees in Chemistry, History, English, Geography etc. - all that matters is a good grade from a good uni. The relevance of the subject may help you answer questions in the interview/assessment centre, but that's it really.

As for the personal statement, I wouldn't worry about picking subjects to make your personal statement easier. I applied for totally different subjects, and that was clear from reading my personal statement, but I still got offers from all the unis I applied to (LSE, King's, UCL, Oxford). The personal statement is more about selling yourself, than proving you know what subject you're applying to - that's a given.

before I came to Kings people on here warned me that it would be very difficult with it not being a target uni to break into IB, but after my first year here I can say its total *******s...there are sooooo many firms that come and visit our campus who have ties with KCLBC (business club) and KCLFS (Finance Society), and workshops from firms on an almost daily-basis on how to break into IB

I think KCLs reputation in regards to breaking into IB is steadily improving, after all, our Business Management course is only a few years old, but its now slowly getting recognition :biggrin:
Original post by viksta1000
before I came to Kings people on here warned me that it would be very difficult with it not being a target uni to break into IB, but after my first year here I can say its total *******s...there are sooooo many firms that come and visit our campus who have ties with KCLBC (business club) and KCLFS (Finance Society), and workshops from firms on an almost daily-basis on how to break into IB

I think KCLs reputation in regards to breaking into IB is steadily improving, after all, our Business Management course is only a few years old, but its now slowly getting recognition :biggrin:

These firms will visit about 20 different universities at the minimum, it's just being speculative :unsure:
Original post by Tsunami2011
These firms will visit about 20 different universities at the minimum, it's just being speculative :unsure:

Most top IBs have 3 sets of unis:

1. Ones that they actively recruit from (so do campus visits etc.).

2. Ones that they are happy to select from (top 30)

3. Ones that they will, with the odd exception, straight away reject.

I think none of those unis fit into the last category, and most firms would put those unis into their first category.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest