The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Athena

This blog is a very good summary of why you shouldn't let the Daily Fail freak you out about influenza research: http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2012/04/omfg_killer_flu_warblegarble_t.php

And as a general rule, if an article is in the Daily Mail, it's sensationalist ****e. My old laptop has the Tea and Kittens Daily Mail blocker installed - any time I was tempted to follow a link to the DF, instead I got a picture of a kitten and a cup of tea. To keep my blood pressure down!

yeah, I am a bit hesitant to believe that article as well...thanks for the link!
Reply 2401
For those that wished me luck re other date, thank you. Nice to chat to someone who seems genuinely interested in your research :smile:
Finally managed to put the finishing touches on an article that had been annoying me for ages. Bounded out of my chair a bit vigorously in celebration, fell over my own feet, and went flying into the Hoover. Bit bruised now :o:
Ahh conferences. In Europe. Thank heaven for savings.
Original post by Athena

This blog is a very good summary of why you shouldn't let the Daily Fail freak you out about influenza research: http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2012/04/omfg_killer_flu_warblegarble_t.php

And as a general rule, if an article is in the Daily Mail, it's sensationalist ****e. My old laptop has the Tea and Kittens Daily Mail blocker installed - any time I was tempted to follow a link to the DF, instead I got a picture of a kitten and a cup of tea. To keep my blood pressure down!

PRSOM, that article is hilarious.
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
Ahh conferences. In Europe. Thank heaven for savings.

Where are you off to? My supervisor wants me to go to a summer school in sweden this year. I'll go if they give me a full bursary but since I have to buy a new computer this week I don't think my savings can take much more of a hammering...
Original post by Feefifofum
Where are you off to? My supervisor wants me to go to a summer school in sweden this year. I'll go if they give me a full bursary but since I have to buy a new computer this week I don't think my savings can take much more of a hammering...

ah that's so cool!! I wish I could be paid to go to a summer school (well, if they pay you!) what summer school is it?
Reply 2407
Not that it really matters, but anyone know why all the post counts seem to have disappeared?
(I can see mine, but not anyone else's.)

Edit: now mine's disappeared too :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sj27
Not that it really matters, but anyone know why all the post counts seem to have disappeared?
(I can see mine, but not anyone else's.)

Edit: now mine's disappeared too :s-smilie:

Just a bug.
Original post by *Corinna*
ah that's so cool!! I wish I could be paid to go to a summer school (well, if they pay you!) what summer school is it?

Having done a bit of googling, my supervisor was wrong - it's one that already took place in march :rolleyes: Still, that gets me out of the expense I suppose.

I am typing this on my brand new MacBook Pro. Ohmygoshtechnologygasm. :love:
14 pages of notes, full of graphs and charts detailing lemmata by usage and..my original theory falls apart. Right now, a few weeks before I have to hand in this paper. So I'm left with lots of meticulously farmed data with no sensible way of dealing with it.

This always seems to happen to me lately: know some evidence, formulate theory, gather more evidence, cry.

I'm thinking of just presenting the factoids themselves, maybe detailing frequency (i.e these morphological variations are more common in X city) rather than explaining them, but that really doesn't go done well. Its not as if I can just play the socio-pragmatics card without having to justify it.

Ancient peoples: I'm glad you're all dead. You bastards!
Original post by The Lyceum
14 pages of notes, full of graphs and charts detailing lemmata by usage and..my original theory falls apart. Right now, a few weeks before I have to hand in this paper. So I'm left with lots of meticulously farmed data with no sensible way of dealing with it.

This always seems to happen to me lately: know some evidence, formulate theory, gather more evidence, cry.

I'm thinking of just presenting the factoids themselves, maybe detailing frequency (i.e these morphological variations are more common in X city) rather than explaining them, but that really doesn't go done well. Its not as if I can just play the socio-pragmatics card without having to justify it.

Ancient peoples: I'm glad you're all dead. You bastards!

:console: This sort of thing happens a lot.
This is inspired! Dance Your PhD competition winners!
Original post by Craghyrax
:console: This sort of thing happens a lot.

I know, its just that usually when this sort of thing happens to me its intermixed with success here and there, you know? I've never had to deal with constant failure like this. :tongue:
Reply 2414
Original post by The Lyceum
know some evidence, formulate theory, gather more evidence, cry.

:rofl: That's the best phrasing of research I've ever heard.
Reply 2415
Original post by Drogue
:rofl: That's the best phrasing of research I've ever heard.

This.

---

Advantages of Kindle: you don't look around, yet again, and think "where the **** am I going to put all these books?!"

Disadvantages of Kindle: you can't get the author signing a dedication to you :love:
Original post by scarlet ibis
This is inspired! Dance Your PhD competition winners!

Amazing!
UEA has a 24hour library :love: You might think this is really normal, but my undergraduate college didn't have one and it drove me round the bend! So nice to be able to come in and work whenever I need to.
Reply 2418
Original post by Craghyrax
UEA has a 24hour library :love: You might think this is really normal, but my undergraduate college didn't have one and it drove me round the bend! So nice to be able to come in and work whenever I need to.

Even over Easter? Wow.

Both my institute library and archive are closed until Wednesday (since 5pm Weds) and the main uni library is closed until Tues.
Original post by apotoftea
Even over Easter? Wow.

Both my institute library and archive are closed until Wednesday (since 5pm Weds) and the main uni library is closed until Tues.

Yup :yep:
All the Cambridge libraries were open for all of Easter, its just that they weren't 24 hour - and at undergrad my typical working day was 8pm to 2am/all night :p:
I really needed it today because David's parents are visiting to complain to him about something, so I'm only going to make be around for the obligatory bits.

Latest

Trending

Trending