The Student Room Group

Anyone who took a gap year, reapplied and put Oxford

Dear fellow TSR members...

Would I be a fool to take a gap year?

Currently holding conditional offers from Durham and Warwick for entry this year (yayyy :colondollar:)

Although I consider myself pretty darn lucky to be holding these offers, I really regret not giving Oxford/ Cambridge a shot.

Would it would be foolish of me not to go ahead with Durham/ Warwick, reapply for entry in 2013 and put Oxford/ Cambridge down?

Would anyone advise against taking a year out? If I did end up taking a year out I would ensure it was used usefully...

Has anyone recieved an offer from Durham or a similar uni, taken a gap year, reapplied and been rejected?

Any help would be much appreciated!! :colondollar:

xxxx
Depends on the course and what your actual motivations for re-applying are.

It'd be a year wasted if you don't get into Oxbridge. Usually most people are 'tempted' to re-apply, so if it hurts you hard, you may end up feeling the need to take a second gap year.
Reply 2
Not at all. I met a few people who took a year out and reapplied. It often gave them time to think deeply about what they wanted to study and/or refine their abilities (esp. when it came to studying a language).
Reply 3
Although I only have limited anecdotal insights on this matter, let alone hard facts, I have heard of people reapplying whilst at uni. Saying that, though, I don't think that they'd be convinced of your determination to get to Oxbridge; it's as though they're trying to get the best of both worlds, the security and the chance of an offer.

Still, it's always an option. What subject are you going for?
Original post by imogenp

Currently holding conditional offers from Durham and Warwick for entry this year (yayyy :colondollar:)

Although I consider myself pretty darn lucky to be holding these offers, I really regret not giving Oxford/ Cambridge a shot.

Would it would be foolish of me not to go ahead with Durham/ Warwick, reapply for entry in 2013 and put Oxford/ Cambridge down?

Would anyone advise against taking a year out? If I did end up taking a year out I would ensure it was used usefully...

Has anyone recieved an offer from Durham or a similar uni, taken a gap year, reapplied and been rejected?

xxxx

I reapplied and got in, but that was because I chose a different subject, after realising I'd picked the first one for the wrong reasons.

If you have offers from Durham and Warwick and you are happy with your subject, I would not reapply.
Original post by TGH1
Although I only have limited anecdotal insights on this matter, let alone hard facts, I have heard of people reapplying whilst at uni. Saying that, though, I don't think that they'd be convinced of your determination to get to Oxbridge; it's as though they're trying to get the best of both worlds, the security and the chance of an offer.

Still, it's always an option. What subject are you going for?

Not sure about Oxford but Cambridge don't accept applications from people currently studying a degree (nor dropped out of a degree - but I'm not 100% on that one).
Reply 6
Politics is the subject.

My motivation for reapplying would primarily be regret at the fact I didn't bother to put Oxford/ Cambridge down in the first place, although it would be nice to start with a bit more cash in my pockets!

Would such universities be less likely to consider someone who had taken a year out? Don't want to waste a year for the sake of regret!
Reply 7
Original post by imogenp
Politics is the subject.

My motivation for reapplying would primarily be regret at the fact I didn't bother to put Oxford/ Cambridge down in the first place, although it would be nice to start with a bit more cash in my pockets!

Would such universities be less likely to consider someone who had taken a year out? Don't want to waste a year for the sake of regret!

You could always aim to go there for a postgraduate course, couldn't you?
Reply 8
Original post by TGH1
You could always aim to go there for a postgraduate course, couldn't you?

I suppose that would be a possibility, the same thought did cross my mind. Probably the most logical of conclusions!
Reply 9
Original post by imogenp
Politics is the subject.

Well Oxford only offer History & Politics and Cambridge course is Psychology, Sociology and Politics so you can't do Politics on its own at either.
Reply 10
Original post by jelly1000
Well Oxford only offer History & Politics and Cambridge course is Psychology, Sociology and Politics so you can't do Politics on its own at either.

Oxford alsoo offer PPE
Original post by imogenp
Oxford alsoo offer PPE

oops yeah, but the point still stands, you would have to do another subject or two as well as Politics so consider that.
Original post by imogenp

Wait until you get your A level results. If you get A*AA or better, and have something constructive you can do in a gap year, you can choose to withdraw from this year and reapply. If you get less than A*AA go with this year's options.
Reply 13
Original post by jelly1000
oops yeah, but the point still stands, you would have to do another subject or two as well as Politics so consider that.

I do see your point, but Cambridge do offer Politics and IR so if I did decide to apply again it would probably be that that I'd go for (:
Reply 14
I was in a similar situation though I chose to take a gap year and didn't apply anywhere initially, because my AS grades were not up to standard. This year I got into Oxford for PPE (rejected by Warwick and Durham tho lol) and I know that had I not chosen to take a gap year so I could have applied to Oxford I would always have had what if thoughts about it.
Like you, I realized too late that I wanted to apply to Oxford (I probably realized this around May 2011). My dilemma was this: Should I start my initial course in Denmark, B.Sc. in International Business at Copenhagen Business School, or take a gap-year and apply to Oxford's E&M-course. I ended up choosing a mix between the two: I started the course in Copenhagen with the intention to try it out and go through the application cycle for 2012-entry at Oxford. I ended up concluded that the course in Copenhagen was not for me - I realized that I wanted to study economics and not strictly business. A week after I dropped out of the course in Copenhagen to move back to my parents, I got a letter from Oxford with my unconditional offer for E&M in 2012. I'm currently in my gap-year, working at a law firm to earn some cash for my Oxford years.

I guess the point is that Oxford (at least the tutors at my college) accepts applicants coming from other courses or just a gap-year. I am not, however, completely sure that the tutors realized that I had been enrolled in the program at Copenhagen Business School and not just taking courses there.

Not sure what my final advice sounds like. But since there is some uncertainty related with re-applying from another course, I probably agree with threeport:
Original post by threeportdrift
Wait until you get your A level results. If you get A*AA or better, and have something constructive you can do in a gap year, you can choose to withdraw from this year and reapply. If you get less than A*AA go with this year's options.
Original post by imogenp

xxxx

Hey, I am actually in a really similar situation to you! I have offers from Durham and Warwick for history. And I actually want now to apply to cambridge. I know it's completely your decision but if it helps, I've decided that I am going to take a year out, because there are so many things you can do in a gap year, even of its just working, you will still be in a strong position if you do get rejected from oxbridge next year. And besides, I know if I don't go for what I really want I will probably regret it... Hope this helps a bit, from someone in your position! Laura x
Original post by hassi94
Not sure about Oxford but Cambridge don't accept applications from people currently studying a degree (nor dropped out of a degree - but I'm not 100% on that one).

Oxford do.
Reply 18
Original post by imogenp
Politics is the subject.

No, I don't think it's a waste at all if you're doing something productive about your course. My tutor gave me an article about how Oxbridge prefers students who are willing to take the risk to take a gap year to pursue outside interests or interests related to their subjects. This guy got pretty mediocre grades but has taken 2 gap years volunteering at South Africa as a teacher and building schools and also going over to Peru to teach the kids there and from the article the admission tutors loved him. As long as you state in your personal statement about your gap-year experience (better to be closely related to your course) and how it changed your take on certain issues all should be fine. Gap years should be taken to improve on oneself and even if you don't get in in the end, at least you know you've enjoyed your year and learnt new experiences that those in unis are deprived of at your age.

Course related work you could do in your gap year may include voluntary work for your local MPs, civil service, studying a little about political history by visiting places etc. As long as it's for self-betterment, I'm sure Oxbridge won't mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending